New look forum

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Al
Sir!

New look forum

Post by Al »

First of all, many apologies to all members for the recent inability to make a post. I only realised that was happening this afternoon as I attempted to make a post. Ironically, a post telling you all about the proposed new Forum update! I kid you not.

I believe the reason for the failure could be down to my new hosting company not supporting old software. The previous version of the forum was V3.0.14 while the latest one is V3.2.7. That's quite a few years between versions. I'm afraid V3.0.14 was living on VERY borrowed time.

Due to the circumstances that have happened, I have been forced into releasing the new forum version immediately and without warning. Even my fellow administrators were unable to test it before official release because of the lateness and realisation of the problem.

So, it is here and it has a new default look. I wanted to move away from the staid corporate-blue look. All the old styles like Hestia (default) and bo2soft are not supported by V3.2.7. So I have included x-creamy (new default) and 5 others. You can change your Board Style by accessing your UCP (User Control Panel) http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/ucp.php?i=165.

For members that liked the old bo2soft style, you may want to try using aero style.

So, it's all a bit rushed, but I had absolutely no alternative. Play around with your chosen style for 10-15 minutes. I think you'll like them. They are all tidy, faster and operate very well. You can even email other members if you wish, and hopefully, notifications will also work properly now.

Let me know of any problems that you experience, or another phpBB3 forum styles that you've come across, liked and is V3.2.7 compatible.

Al

standby4action

Re: New look forum

Post by standby4action »

I have no problems with the look - as you say Al, we can change it if we want. I learned about the new look via my RSS feed - so that's working! Many thanks for all your hard work.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Thanks for the feedback S4A :)

That's a test I no longer have to do.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Here's a taster of what the 6 new forum styles look like:

x-creamy (default)
x-creamy (default)

Green Style
Green Style

GraandNew
GraandNew

aero
aero

Absolution
Absolution

360Elite
360Elite

SID

Post by SID »

Love the new-look. Thanks, Al. :cheers:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm not a fan of the new forum. It's not at all easy on the eye. I can't work out what I'm looking at.its awful. My eyes are going so crossed I'm going to have to log out.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Steve, have you tried changing to any of the other 5 styles (displayed above) to see if any of those are more appealing? Aero and Absolution are quite close to what the old Hestia and bo2soft styles looked like.

To change styles:
  • Click on your name towards the top right of this screen
  • User Control Panel
  • Click on the Board preference tab
  • Edit Global setting (default)
  • Locate the My board style drop down list
  • Make your selection and press the Submit button
Al

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well I think it looks fine except for one minor detail - the Comics UK logo has jagged white outlines. That didn't matter on the main site with it's white background, but it's obvious on the forum. Al, do you have the original files used to create that logo? If it was a PNG instead of a GIF, you could probably get rid of the jagged outline, since PNG supports transparency and anti-aliasing.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I am liking 360 Elite. That looks really nice.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Digi, I'll get on to that during the week.

I don't have the original raw files, just the finished article. But it shouldn't be too difficult to remove those white outlines.

Cheers.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Nicer in Aero, I’m finding. Thanks Al.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Having looked carefully at all your options, Al, I have to agree with Shiner that the clear winner by a country mile is Aero. Mind you, in my youth an Aero was a bar of chocolate. It's still too early in the morning for my thinking process to have fully kicked in, but come lunchtime I feel certain that I will not have changed my mind. I do like sky blue.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i just changed mine to aero i hated the xcreamy or whatever it was called as it was confusing and hurt my eyes.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Only just seen the new look! Unfortuately, life has been getting in the way of everything lately, but...it's looking good!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

It just occurred to me I cannot see how to edit a post. There are some icons in boxes but how the heck are we supposed to know what they mean?