What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by abacus »

As a poundshop kinda guy I collect most of the weekly Marvel True Believers comics from Forbidden Planet which are usually only 75p each, today I noticed that DC are following suit with the Dollar Comics range also 75p.I bought the Joker comic and look forward to seeing what future comics they have to offer.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Not quite today, but certainly recent purchases. I've started to collect early annuals with dust jackets. I've fallen in love with the designs of the 'Chums Annuals', however they are proving nigh on impossible to find with surviving dust jackets. So far, I've managed to find three (1925, 1936-7, 1938)

If you have any you'd be willing to part with, it'd be great to hear from you!
Cheers,
Adam

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I am loving the composition of the covers for the two later ones. Seeing covers like that makes you understand why some people perceive some comics as jingoistic and supportive of war as they certainly do nothing to dissuade anyone from a life in the military.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

You're right their about jingoism. What I don't know is are they just a product of their time? Getting close to the outbreak of WW2, maybe this was just a reflection of the current mood of the country?

As they are so difficult to find, I do not know what the early covers would look like. As per the 1925 issue, were they mostly 'thrilling story' type covers with pirates, cowboys, fast cars and trains etc?

I'm not sure if there is a directory online with a full image list of jackets?

Cheers,
Adam

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Collectingbooksandmagazines.com has quite a lot of CHUMS info but not many dustwrappers !

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well, I went to the local auction house and got blown out of the water by the bids so I checked the back room and found a rather nice pile of 8 Eagle and Battles, Roy Of The Rovers with the Wildcat pullout comic still within, 2 Summer Specials, 3 Wizards, 1 Champ, Two Roy Of The Rovers monthlies and a random issue of Hotspur.

blaing

Post by blaing »

My want issues of the Topper from 1990 has now gone down to 15 issues this morning with the win of 10 issues (from this bundle, I got No. 1927, and a better copy of No. 1928) :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Nice work blaing

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I didn't buy it but I went to the Laydeez Do Comics event at the Dundee Comics Creative Space and we were doing a workshop on Fanzines. In amongst the pile of comics to cut up was a pristine copy of 2000AD from FCBD 2017. Nobody cut it up and the event organisers were happy for me to snaffle it as I have plenty comics to contribute to their fanzine workshop supplies!

karl

Post by karl »

The new issue of the vigilant.
Very good

blaing

Post by blaing »

Preordered the Christmas 2019 issue of Beano.

Now waiting to hear from Big Bad Bri to locate the comics I am after, so that I can pay him.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Received two packages from eBay yesterday. 44 Tigers from 1969-70. An unbroken run including the final two issues of Jag. And 51 issues of Wow! There were 56 issues published so almost a full set. And I already have no. 1 so only need four issues.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Just received in the mail this morning (in time for Halloween) this year's Thirteenth Floor special (Home Sweet Home)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I forgot to say that I picked up a batch of annuals, graphic novels and 60 pre-decimal Picture Libraries. I now have my first Famepress Young Lovers Exciting Romantic Stories in Pictures. So that's 1 down, 122 to go!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

booksandcomics wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 18:06
Not quite today, but certainly recent purchases. I've started to collect early annuals with dust jackets. I've fallen in love with the designs of the 'Chums Annuals', however they are proving nigh on impossible to find with surviving dust jackets. So far, I've managed to find three (1925, 1936-7, 1938)

If you have any you'd be willing to part with, it'd be great to hear from you!
Cheers,
Adam
Just noticed there's a few on abebooks with the wrappers, but they aren't cheap by any means.