Beryl the Peril and the Numskulls in the Funday Times

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

skidbum1

Beryl the Peril and the Numskulls in the Funday Times

Post by skidbum1 »

Hello, has any enthusiast of Beryl the Peril and/or the Numskulls ever made a list of the reprints in the Funday Times and where they first appeared?

stevezodiac

Re: Beryl the Peril and the Numskulls in the Funday Times

Post by stevezodiac »

I kept some Sunday Times Beryl pages as they were by David Law and in full colour and I wasn't sure if they were originally in colour. There was a box full of Funday Times sections in the flea market a few weeks back but I passed them up. It would take someone with a vast Topper collection and a lot of time to do the research you ask for. I did it in the eighties with a few Bash Street Kids annuals, finding their original Beano appearances. Searched in vain for that list in recent years with no luck but I know I still have it somewhere.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I have a complete run of Topper so if anyone has the relevant editions of the Funday Times it could be done.
As I recall the Funday Times Beryl strips were from the late 1960's and early 1970's.
The Beryl strips in the Topper comic were always in full colour Steve although when reprinted in the 13 Beryl the Peril they were only printed in red/black or red/blue.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've indexed the 1970, 1971 and 1973 Beano Summer Specials onto Grand Comics Database this week and am waiting for them to be approved. Once they are I'd appreciate it if anyone could fill in some missing artist names. I'm sure everyone's aware that some strips in annuals and specials were drawn by someone other than the regular artist.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

What I should have said was give me the artists names here and I'll fill them in as you need to have put cover images onto GCD for a while before they let you index. Well it's something to do during lockdown.
Last edited by stevezodiac on 10 Apr 2020, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Saturday Daily Telegraph also ran a comic for a while but I can't remember the content. The Funday Times did run Stingray and Thunderbirds strips and also Bananaman I think. I have a few dozen issues.