What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

Some people think if it's an old comic it must be worth a fortune. While you're here, Derek, I just got back from Deptford flea market where I saw an Adventure Book For Girls. I always think of you working on your latest book when I see something of that ilk. They had a Sports Book for Girls too.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Arriving today was No. 1940 of the Topper (with thanks once again to Will-Comics), and this now brings the missing issues down to four.

I should be receiving a bundle of Beezer and Topper by the end of the week.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In Deptford flea market today I picked up thirteen Perishers books from the sixties and early seventies plus Monty Python complete series eight disc dvd box set. All 50p each.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

“Vworp Vworp! Volumes One and Two Collected” arrived today. This Doctor Who title collects both previous numbers - and is gorgeous! Packed with behind the scenes information (gossip!) on Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly plus comic strips, it weighs in at 196 pages for £15.99.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

War Picture Library Battle of Britain arrived today. With Ian's art cleaned up and half up from the usual picture library size, I am looking forward to this treat!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Just ordered the 2nd issue of The77.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

blaing

Post by blaing »

This morning, I got one step closer to completing my comic collection☆ with the win of the 1980 Jackpot summer special.

Only the four 1990 issues of the Topper, the final Beezer and Plug and the final pre-merge issue of Buster before Cor!! merged into it.

Will I finish this lot by Christmas? Who knows.

☆=these are the major wanted issues. I won't be buying much after that

SID

Post by SID »

Good luck with the collection, Blaing. :D

2nd issue of The77 came through today. I liked it better than Issue 1 and will definitely be getting it as it comes out.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

1974 Sparky Book
1974 Topper Book
1969 Topper Book
and

1963 Topper Book, all for £50!

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Dracula Lives No.87 (1976) - the final issue prior to its merger with Planet of the Apes the following week. The announcement is saved up for the penultimate page. It all seems quite abrupt as Dracula and Man Thing commence new issue reprints that issue, so POTA readers start half way through. Odd.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Shiner wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 07:01
Dracula Lives No.87 (1976) - the final issue prior to its merger with Planet of the Apes the following week. The announcement is saved up for the penultimate page. It all seems quite abrupt as Dracula and Man Thing commence new issue reprints that issue, so POTA readers start half way through. Odd.
Drac was my least favourite Marvel comic at the time but reading it since, I’ve enjoyed it more. I always thought that the two made strange bedfellows even at the time.

abacus

Post by abacus »

In Forbidden Planet they had all the Free Comic Book Day (Which was cancelled in May) comics on the shelves.
In our shop there is usually a limit of two free comics per person, therefore I asked at the counter how many I could have and to my surprise they said I could have as many titles as I wanted.
I finished up with just 4 because most are not to my taste ( for any wit out there no I don't eat them).
I chose timeless classics Little Lulu and Donald Duck and a newer comic I thought was great Hillbilly,Loud House made the fourth.
In a charity shop they had a 1953 Radio Fun annual for £4 which I thought about getting but changed my mind at the last minute, it was a good job I did because when I got home I found that I already had it in my collection .I guess this lockdown as made me a bit rusty :)
Last edited by abacus on 20 Aug 2020, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Doug - what was even stranger was that Dracula bowed out fairly early on post merger while the cover continued with “and Dracula Lives” for months afterwards.

jar2908

Post by jar2908 »

I got 1950 ‘Eagle’ No 1 today it appears to differ from the print run of Eagle No 1, As it containing no Dan Dare Pilot of the Future header and displaying a different date of 21 April, 1950. Anybody know anything about this issue

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Shiner wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 12:26
Doug - what was even stranger was that Dracula bowed out fairly early on post merger while the cover continued with “and Dracula Lives” for months afterwards.
I remember that. They probably forgot he was still on the masthead! 🤣