Beano Club

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

jimbob

Beano Club

Post by jimbob »

Ok, lets make this topic (beano club) just for the bean club members. You wil be able to say what you think about club, if yuo think the gifts are good and if the updates and news about the club things that are delivered to your house are good. so......... who's gonna start us off?????????
jimbob

Conor B

Beano Club

Post by Conor B »

I think the club things are quite good, with that huge poster, but, even though there's less items, I prefer Dennis' Fan Club, Its much more original and cheaper :lol:
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

jimbob

Beano Club

Post by jimbob »

dennis fan club? never heard of it. sounds good though. can you tell me a bit about it please?
jimbob

AndyB
Throgmorton

Beano Club

Post by AndyB »

The Dennis The Menace Fan Club, including Gnasher's Fang Club, was started in about 1976. For a small postal order, you got a hairy Gnasher badge - with bristles and rolling eyes, although the bristles were later changed to a piece of felt or something just not the same, a red badge with Dennis in profile (redrawn in the 1990s when David Sutherland redrew Dennis for the comic strip), a wallet with Club Secrets and a membership card.

In those days, if you wrote a letter to Dennis you got a t-shirt - and also a poster if you were in the Fan Club and quoted one of the Gnashwords from the wallet.

I haven't seen it advertised for some years, but it might still theoretically be open.

Little Squelchy Thing

Beano Club

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

I was a member of the Dennis the Menace Fan Club back in those days! I still have my wallet with the badges, somewhere. Although the Gnasher one has long since lost an eye!

I had a picture/joke printed in one issue, which got me a poster and a t-shirt...but it was also the Letter of the Week, so netted me a swanky Dennis jersey to boot! Happy days.

Bizzarely, the sweater still fits. Have I not grown in the intervening years?!?

jimbob

Beano Club

Post by jimbob »

wow, that sounds cool. If it still around then i will happily join it.

Do you know how much it costs?
jimbob

Conor B

Beano Club

Post by Conor B »

Yeah, being a kid I only managed to join last year. The last ad I saw was in 2001, for 75p, and it is still that price to join today.

jimbob

Beano Club

Post by jimbob »

75p!!! wow! It costs ?15 to join the Beano Club. What do you get when you join the club then?
jimbob

David

Re: Beano Club

Post by David »

jimbob wrote:75p!!! wow! It costs ?15 to join the Beano Club. What do you get when you join the club then?
As far as I know, it was a club wallett with Gnasher's secret Gnashwords which you could state if you had an item published in The Beano, a Dennis The Menace badge and a hairy Gnasher badge with moving eyes. Niot sure if there was anything else. My brother got it once.

How do you still join the fan club? Is it possible?

jimbob

Re: Beano Club

Post by jimbob »

How do you still join the fan club? Is it possible?[/quote]

I don't know myself. Ask the guy who first sent in something about it.
jimbob

Conor B

Beano Club

Post by Conor B »

Yeah, I just emailed the staff (ed@beanotown.com) and they said to me I could still join for 75p.
It appeared in the comic from 1976-1998 and the last advert for it in the comic was 2001.
Just to let you know :lol:

jimbob

Beano Club

Post by jimbob »

ok, cheers. Can you please do me another favour?

Well, if ya can. This is what it is: Find a site where you sign up for it.

Reason: It's gonna be nearly impossible to get hold of the right isue that has it advertised in.
jimbob

Conor B

Beano Club

Post by Conor B »

No website that I know but this is one of the most recent adverts in the comic (5 yrs ago) [img:230:345]http://www.freewebs.com/conorsimages/de ... 20club.jpg[/img]

jimbob

Beano Club

Post by jimbob »

oh, that's cool. Do you know exactly when the issue dates from?
jimbob

Conor B

Beano Club

Post by Conor B »

Well my most recent one is no 3067.