The Beano Top 100.

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Steve Bright

Re: The Beano Top 100.

Post by Steve Bright »

No need to apologise for anything, Ray - this is a great feature, enjoyed by all. Any additions/corrections are added in good faith and entirely within the spirit of what you're doing here.

Nigel sometimes appears grumpy if he's not had his raw meat.
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

NP

Post by NP »

I'm not grumpy, I'm just taciturn. But who said anything about 'lesser lights'? All comics pros are hard-workers, just trying to make ends meet like anyone else. Steve and Lew have added to your knowledge as well yet you single me out. How odd.

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

:lol: Every vegans nightmare veg with meat

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Fantastic resolution, that above scan, STEVE......almost 3-D!

David Gerstein

Post by David Gerstein »

Wah! Poor Rasher! No wonder his page ended.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

NP wrote:I'm not grumpy, I'm just taciturn. But who said anything about 'lesser lights'? All comics pros are hard-workers, just trying to make ends meet like anyone else. Steve and Lew have added to your knowledge as well yet you single me out. How odd.
It's the curse of the internet mate. People often misinterpret the tone of messages because they can't see body language or hear the way it's said. The only help are emoticons or using a "LOL", both of which feel bloody childish our age and the latter makes us sound like insane supervillains.

I suppose I'd better add a smiley to that. :)

This is an enjoyable and informative thread Ray, as yours always are. No one's getting grumpy.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

'Lesser lights' is a phrase from the classification and cataloguing of illuminated manuscripts and doesn't refer to someone of inferior skill but simply to someone who has added less quantitively to a given text than others. I certainly wasn't implying it qualitively although I can see how it might have been interpreted that way.
I don't quite get how I've singled you out Nigel so the 'How odd.' is a bit lost on me and sounds slightly paranoid. I might in turn think you ill-mannered for not acknowledging the fact that I apologised to you twice for the genuine mistake I made in giving David Parkins some of the credit for Bea, but then maybe that is just you being taciturn and not plain rude.
Still I do apologise for all my faults and if I've p****d anyone off inordinately I promise, as well as I am able, never to do it again.
Tomorrow, back to the Top 100.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Pax, Nigel. Sent you PM.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

13) Pup Parade (1098) Hanging out in a dustbin 'kennel' outside Bash St School the pooch pets of the Bash St Kids were a regular feature in the Beano for over twenty years (1967-1988) at which point they then made a surprising sideways move into the pages of Topper and on subsequently into the pages of the amalgamated Topper & Beezer (1998-1993) before returning to the Beano for a short time in 2003.
Artwork Gordon Bell etc.

I've decide from this point onwards, in fairness to all those 'ghost' artists who replace a strips regular artist during holidays and times of illness etc, to leave all artist listings open-ended and conclude them with 'etc'. If anyone wants to add any names then please feel free to do so.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

12) Ivy the Terrible (1146) Ivy is the Beano's menace by mistake. A cute little girl who, usually with the best intentions, accidentally creates mayhem in the wake of her desire to please. Running for the past 23 years (1985- ) the Ivy strip is, by far,
the most recent Beano arrival to have made it into quadruple figures.
Artwork Robert Nixon, Trevor Metcalfe, Tony O'Donnell, Lew Stringer etc.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

11) Gnasher's Tale (Gnasher and Gnipper) (1448) Originally subtitled 'Doggy Deeds from the Past' (1977) the Gnasher strip eventaully came bang up to date in Nov 1986 when it changed it's title to 'Gnasher and Gnipper' to include the Abyssinian wire-haired tripehound's one-fanged offspring who had been born the previous March.
Artwork Dave Sutherland, Barry Glennard etc.

Coming shortly 'The Beano Top Ten'

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Ooh! I can't wait.

My thoughts on the top ten...

1. Dennis
2. Roger (possibly? Although he did miss a year).
3. Minnie
4. Bash Street
5. Lord Snooty (will these include Lord Snooty the Third?)
6. Biffo the Bear
7. Billy Whizz
8. Little Plum
9. Ball Boy
10. The Three Bears

Obviously it's unlikely that they'll be in the right order, but I'm pretty sure that all these strips will be in the top 10.

EDIT:: Will Dennis the Menace include the "Double Dennis" which are on the last 2 pages now?
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Your order ain't too far off Conor.

10) Ball Boy (1575) The only strip in the Beano Top 10 that began life in the 1970's (1975) features the soccer mad star of a rotten 5-a-side football team. And. despite a third of a century of bottom of the table results he still awaits the dreaded call to the sub's bench.
In the 1980's Ball Boy also played extra fixtures while on loan to the boy's picture paper Victor as the comic mascot of the titles' sporting jokes page.
Artwork Mal Judge, John Dallas, Nigel Parkinson, Tom Paterson, Dave Eastbury etc.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

9) The Three Bears (1592) Pa, Ma and Teddy (Ted) were a pretty gormless trio, although Teddy was still way brighter than his Dad, who usually found grub-grabbing from prospectors, wagon-trains and in particular Hank Huckleberry's General Store a task beyond their limited ursine wits. Thus making them a far cry ineed from their sly, crafty cousins in the Little Plum strip to whom they owed their genesis.
Their first series was a four week try-out affair in the summer of 1959 and this was followed by a major one that lasted 25years (1960-1985) and two further sprawling, sporadic ones (1988-1995) (1999-2007).
Artwork Leo Baxendale, Bob McGrath, Bob Dewar, David Parkins, Robert Nixon, Mike Pearse, Chris McGhie etc.