When (in the '80s) did the artist for Korky the Cat change?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Rob J

When (in the '80s) did the artist for Korky the Cat change?

Post by Rob J »

Can anyone tell me please when the artist for Korky the Cat changed? It seems constant from the late '60s at least, to sometime in the early '80s - perhaps '83?

Thanks all!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: When (in the '80s) did the artist for Korky the Cat change?

Post by AndyB »

I think Bob Nixon took over from Charlie Grigg in about 1987.

Rob J

Post by Rob J »

Thanks! It's just that I got a small stack of Dandys from '84 the other week and the art seems quite different. :?:

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

I'm sure Kashgar can set us right on this, but I've got a few Dandys from 1984- from around the time that Dan took over the cover from Korky. On these the Korky artwork doesn't quite look right for Charlie Grigg- it's certainly in his style, but looks to me more like a ghost artist. Actually the more I look at them, it's definitely not Grigg (the real give-away is in the human characters such as the gamekeeper), but it's not in the style used by Nixon later on, so does anyone know who this artist is?

Ross

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Just to add to my previus post- A quick search on Google found an article on Lew Stringers Blog about Charlie Grigg where it says that he retired from comics in 1983... so it seems that the artwork from these 1984 Dandys are indeed someone else.

The first Robert Nixon Korky I have is from a 1987 Dandy, so who drew Korky in the intervening years?

Ross

Rob J

Post by Rob J »

Yep, rossmac - that's spot on, about the human characters. These are *definitely* not the previous artist, Grigg as you say. So yeah - the question does indeed seem to be who drew it prior to Nixon.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I would guess Dave Gudgeon from his inclusion in Classics from the Comics.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes. David Gudgeon took over from Grigg in June 1982, though the latter did make occasional reappearances thereafter. I'm sure Kaskgar will give chapter and verse when he's less busy with other things!

-Phil R.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

What else has David Gudgeon drawn? Some of the art looks familiar, but I can't place it...

Ross

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Saucy Sue, Richard the Lion, Jacky Daw (with Maw and Paw), Plug (once the comic was combined with Beezer), maybe a few Smashers after Hugh Morren retired, assorted features, and I suspect a lot more - he was one of DCT's staff artists, and I think may have finally retired about a year ago.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

David Gudgeon took over the Korky strip with Dandy No 2117 (19/6/82) and drew it with a few interruptions from previous artist Charlie Grigg until No 2347 (15/11/86). It was then taken over by Robert Nixon.
And David Gudgeon did indeed draw Smasher for a time towards the end of Hugh Morren's tenure on the strip and before Brian Walker took over.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Ah yes, the Smasher- that would be where I recognise the art style from- even if he only did a few, Smasher has always been one of my faves, so I've probably seen a few done by him.

Thanks for the info Kashgar- do you know who else has drawn Korky both since Nixon, and at any other time- perhaps when Griggs or Crighton took a break? I know Dave Windett did it for a bit, but has anyone else?

Ross

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Dave Sutherland drew a few before Dave W. My memory escapes me as to did the computer ones.

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Andrew Painter did the computer ones.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

And Chris McGhie did the excellent revival in this year's Dandy Summer Special.