What's the most you've spent on one comic?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

What's the most you've spent on one comic?

Post by steelclaw »

Just asking out of interest, after seeing someone buy a Vulcan for £78. I know people spend thousands on Beano/Dandy No.1.

What's the most you've spent and was it worth it or a bit of a let down?

I don't think I've spent over £5 on one comic.

STARBOY

Re: What's the most you've spent on one comic?

Post by STARBOY »

The most I've spent on a single comic (a back issue) was Avengers 96 (1970s - with Neal Adams art) cost me £5 around 1988/1990 which was quite a lot then and was down from £11 - I ve paid more for a new comic/book all the same but the most ever would be around £20 for a collection of Alex Toth animation art (the Black Book which is massive) The most expensive UK comic was POW No8 for £4, although I once spent around £30 on a batch of UK Odhams comics in the early 90s (about 15 so only £2 each) - I have a limit on how much I spend on comics , let alone individual comics, and as I get older I m unlikely to pay more that £5 for any book now (althought I might make an exception for and earyl Dan De carlo ,- possibly Baxendle, Adams , Kurtzman or Ken Reid art)

NP

Post by NP »

I spent £65 on a comic in 1991 (!) and £86 on ebay in 2004, both first issues of 60's comics that I'd missed out on originally and obviously felt flush enough at the time of buying to purchase!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

£32 on the 1st Victor a few weeks back, but the most that I have ever spent in one go was £200 for a wadge of early 2000AD's in Mint condition along with a pile of Action (8 pre-ban and all but 2 of the post-ban run) and other assorted goodies. That deal was through the old Sales and Wants on this very forum. The Mrs had to tear me away from reading them or we would have gone nowhere that day! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

colcool007 wrote:£32 on the 1st Victor a few weeks back
Hmmm, what condition? Sounds a great deal to me.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

karl

Post by karl »

:D £50 on 'lion' no 1 on ebay a few months ago
in good condition

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

chrissmillie wrote:
Everything was in Good condition. Unfortunately, the last page is missing... :o

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

colcool007 wrote:
chrissmillie wrote:
Did you know the back page was missing before you bought it? I don't think I would have bought it with the back page missing.

The most I've spent in one go was £130 on 250 wizards about a year and a half ago.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Don't you just hate it when a comic arrives from ebay and their's pages missing or someone has cut something out.
Last edited by steelclaw on 17 Feb 2009, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

£1,100 on Action No.37 - the one that never made it to the newsagents.

(Well, you did ask! :) )

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Shiner wrote:£1,100 on Action No.37 - the one that never made it to the newsagents.

So it was you that blew me out of the water on Compal! :notworthy: Well done Shiner.....Git! Now do you have any doubles you want to get rid of??? :D

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Shiner wrote:£1,100 on Action No.37 - the one that never made it to the newsagents.

How many were published? Or escaped being destroyed?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Paid £85 for issue 1 of the Rainbow from 1914 complete with free gift. There was also that Alan Morley original Keyhole Kate art I got recently for £75.00. At the other end of the scale i got Buster no. 1 and Bunty no. 1 for a fiver each a few years ago, bargains.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

steelclaw wrote:
Did you know the back page was missing before you bought it? I don't think I would have bought it with the back page missing[/quote]
Yeah, but it would have gone for a lot more with the back page there. Also, with a lot of old British comics, there aren't that many still left, so sometimes, you just have to buy these early ones in any condition, or you don't get a second chance.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

chrissmillie wrote:
steelclaw wrote:

Did you know the back page was missing before you bought it? I don't think I would have bought it with the back page missing
Yeah, but it would have gone for a lot more with the back page there. Also, with a lot of old British comics, there aren't that many still left, so sometimes, you just have to buy these early ones in any condition, or you don't get a second chance.
It was in the blurb, but I didn't see that until I got the comic. :oops: I was just too excited to have at last got my hands on an issue 1 at a price that I could afford. It's like the Martin Baker book about Action. I resigned myself to never getting it as it always goes for £50 plus on Ebay. I was lucky to get mine for less than the £30 limit that I had set myself.

Everything has the amount that you are able and willing to pay for it. If I had had the same amount of cash that Shiner had available, I would have got into a bidding war with him for Action 37, but I had to call it quits at the £400 mark. Sometimes, it is the thrill of the chase that makes it more fun, not necessarily the winning of the comic. This from he who is looking at 4 A4 boxes of Warlords and thinking how he can get his hands on the 91 issues that he is missing!