BILLY THE CAT

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Post by Old Forum Fella »

Browsing through the new Beano book in waterstones today & it would seem that DC Thomson have resurrected Billy the Cat & the art work was very impressive. Shame they haven't got the balls to put it in the weekly comic!

Originally posted by Azteccomics on the old forum on 18/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Be even better to have, what, the New Victor (or something) with Billy the Cat, Arena, Union Jack Jackson, Morgyn the Mighty and Alf Tupper...

Originally posted by Superherostore.co.uk on the old forum on 19/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

The funny thing is I have a 5 year old son who loves The Beano, but he has started getting this Jackie Chan comic which I was quite impressed with, the powers that be think kids of today don't want to read but its rubbish, it just needs a company like Striker 3d to start an adventure paper & who knows where it could lead. DC Thomson told me last week that over the last 12 to 18 Months Commando has seen a massive rise in sales & they don't even advertise it.

Originally posted by Azteccomics on the old forum on 19/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Hi.
This is slightly off topic, but I am looking for a contact at DC Thompson who might be able to put some names to artists.
I run a web site which you can view here:
http://www.britishcomicart.netfirms.com/
Mail me personally if you can help.
Cheers!
Jim

Originally posted by Jim Croasdale on the old forum on 21/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Billy the cat was also in Buddy!! http://www.bookpalace.com/UKComics/UKGe ... /Buddy.htm You can see his eyes through the visor.....I always likes the painted cat eyes on the helmet! Also they were very good leapers!!! Drawn by the super David Sutherland (the Bash street kids etc...) Peter Gray

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 19/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Buddy had new Billy the Cat stories - a teenager with no Katy. They reprinted a number of great strips in that - think they would have had more success if they hadn't called it Buddy and aimed the covers at Beezer readers.

Chris

Originally posted by Superherostore.co.uk on the old forum on 20/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

I don't think its a case that DC Thomson's haven't the "balls" to put Billy the Cat in their weekly Beano , I would think they know their audience pretty well, after all 60 years and still going whilst wheres the Valiant, Victor Warrior etc - The Beano is still selling pretty well, no doubt an adventure comic would be nice to see but thats another audience - for me we need to get young kids back into comics not teenagers and adults they are well catered for with 200AD - Batman and the rest.

Originally posted by PAUL on the old forum on 21/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

I agree Paul the reason comics like Victor,Valiant did not survive is that they never moved with the times, Kids these days get there adventure thrills from the latest computer games. Victor, Warlord Etc have all been replaced by a vast amount of computer magazines. Why read Union Jack jackson when you can get a bigger buzz playing Medal of Honour. Now a good computer magazine with a Medal of Honour etc comic strip in 3d Art thats the way forward.

Originally posted by Azteccomics on the old forum on 21/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

I do think kids adventure comics HAVE made a comeback. OK we all know about Striker - but that's mostly read by 20-30 yr olds - but what about the juvenile Star Wars Comic, Spectacular Spider-Man Adventures, Action Man, Jackie Chan Adventures and more.

No doubt about it, comics really suffered earlier in the 90s for a myriad of reasons. I really do believe however, there is a market (horrible word) for an adventure comic that bridges the gap between the mature and the juvenile - Panini's Marvel does it quite well but it is too expensive for the casual reader. I believe the death of the comic has been exagerrated.

...and if the rest of the world's comic industry (especially Europe and the Far East) are surviving pretty well and the Middle East (so I'm informed) really picking up, why can't the UK? Chris

Originally posted by Superherostore.co.uk on the old forum on 23/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Supes , you make a fair point regardign the increase in the nimber of UK published Adventure comics, the titles you mention are testiment to that. However, all these title are USA originated liscenced characters - and we all know that most (not all ) of these dont last to long. Few probably have that much origianl UK originated material - I couldn't tell you the last REAL UK originated adventure comic that was published (Toxic, Starblazer probably)- actually when what wa the last humour comic outwith Beano etc???- certainly at the moment only 2000AD fits the bill as a real UK comic (for me at any rate) As Aztec says UK comics need to move with the times if they want to succeed, then again I dont think the Tomb RAIDER Comic lasted that long in the UK either - its a tricky situation I do fear for the indusrty hopefully STRIKER will be a catalyst. Paul

Originally posted by PAUL on the old forum on 23/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Panini and Star Wars have run longer than most Marvel UK and many Fleetway comics - obviously not as long as some of the larger titles but still years longer than Cap Britain, Starlord, Hurricane etc..

They are not all reprints. Spectacular Spider-Man, Action Man, Power Rangers for instance are all-original. I also don't think kids care where they were written as long as it's good. You could argue British creators are more interested in mature stories so the talent well is empty but that's quite different to kids not wanting comics.

Oh, and the main Marvel UK/Panini writer (& Commando) is also writing for STARSCAPE (see http://www.superherostore.co.uk).

Chris

Originally posted by Superherostore.co.uk on the old forum on Superherostore.co.uk

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Guys interesting comments, Also we have Panni's own Doctor Who magazine which has been running since 1979 & still going strong, the recent strip stories in this have been top notch. I'm in the process of sorting out my comic collection at the moment & was flicking through the old copies of Champ comic. This seemed to be going in the right direction no war strips & and a great computer section this was definetly the way forward into the nineties but Thomson's just dropped it all & then lost the market which was changing.whoever,if ever makes the decision to launch a new boys weekly will need a lot of luck along the way.

Originally posted by Azteccomics on the old forum on 24/09/2003

Old Forum Fella

BILLY THE CAT

Supes /Aztec - Fair comments all, I guess I'm probably old school here (thats probably being kind, more like lost touch with UK comics) and would just like to see some new UK originated comics for selfish, nostalgic reasons with new characters etc. But as you say it really is up to the kids, and if they are selling in good numbers and of good quality then thats the main thing, well that and if the kids enjoy them. I definately agree that anyone trying to start a new boys comic will have a tough time, but I still hope someone trys it. Will def' be looking out for Starscape as well. Have to admit I buy a lot of small press comics this weather and some of the talent on show is pretty amazing.

Originally posted by PAUL on the old forum on 24/09/2003