What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by steelclaw »

Had a good buy in a local charity shop the other day, total price £5 for 7 Annuals. All in excellent to near perfect condition good spines un-priced clipped.

You don't often see Jag & Hurricane annuals about.
'Danny Jones Time-Traveller' in Hurricane is very good the sort of quirky adventure style strips I like.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well today I received my purchases from Ebay and 26pigs so I am more than happy as it takes me past the 100 issues to go mark for my Victor collection. I won't list all of them here as that could take a while, but suffice to say that the only Victors than I am looking for after 1968 are the Summer Specials! And even then, I am only looking for specials that are post 1985! I haven't read them all yet, but I am sure that I will rectify that situation by the end of the weekend!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I was very surprised to pick this up for £3.95 which includes p&p from ebay the other day,I didn't think I stood a chance with the budget I'm on,I've seen it sell for as much as £70 last year and the last few months over £10.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Oh, lucky you! Anything especially good in it?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:Oh, lucky you! Anything especially good in it?
Yep it's great a 12 page Trigan Empire story in colour, plus all the favourites like Steel claw, The Spider, Mytek the mighty,The House of Domann, Robot Archie,Kelly's eye, and 'Billys Boots' which I thought was rather odd, was Billy's Boots in Vulcan Comic?
I know their all reprints but it's still great.

I'm going to put it on my blog in the next week.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Towards the end I'm pretty certain that Billy's Boots was in the weekly Vulcan comic but I'll check to make sure.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Kashgar wrote:Towards the end I'm pretty certain that Billy's Boots was in the weekly Vulcan comic but I'll check to make sure.
I wasn't aware Billy's Boots was ever in Vulcan, but Fleetway often used reprints of fairly random stuff in their annuals because there was a policy of not reprinting anything too recent-hence various rather odd strips like Guinea Pig filling up space in the early 2000AD Annuals. Billy has been pretty much everywhere else though, including the eighties Eagle and, in more recent years, Pete Nash's short lived Striker comic. Persistent little bloke, Billy Dane...

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The Chums annual for 1940, reprinting most (or all?) of the stories and major articles from that paper for the year. Being from the war, i expected it to be filled with war stories about daring exploits and foiling spies, but there doesn't seem to be much, if any, war stories. Should have got the 1939 annual when i had the chance, instead!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

'Billy's Boots' reprints from Scorcher did indeed appear in Vulcan for the last couple of issues. Earlier on they even featured a 'Raven on the Wing' story as well!

- Phil Rushton

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thanks for clarifying that point Phil without my having to look. Billy's Boots was obviously a space-filler to prevent them having to start a more substantial story from one of their regular reprint characters that they wouldn't have time to publish in it's entirity leaving them the problem of having to cobble together a new ending which I seem to remember they did do in one or two cases.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

philcom55 wrote:'Billy's Boots' reprints from Scorcher did indeed appear in Vulcan for the last couple of issues. Earlier on they even featured a 'Raven on the Wing' story as well!

- Phil Rushton
Cheers Phil, I only have 2 Vulcan comics both early ones, of course I would like some more but the price is always to high for me.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I overdosed on 'Girls Annuals' at the carboot sale today.I would have bought more but I couldn't carry them. :(

Tammy - 1983
Tammy - 1984
Tammy - 1976
Tammy - 1975
Jackie - 1979
Mandy - 1980
Judy - 1983
Diana 1980
Dreamer - 1983
Dreamer - 1984

Total £4

Looked at the family tree section, only 35 comics were published of this, plus 3 Annuals never heard of it before.

Plus these comics.

2 x Sparkys 1977
2 x Plugs 1977
6 x Krazy's 1977
6 x Cheeky's 1977/79
1 x Roy of the Rovers 1978
1 x Whizzer & Chips 1978
1 x Look in 1978

£1.50 for the lot.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Two Plugs eh? Those must be early issues from a very short run (it only existed from 1977 to 1979 before merging with The Beezer). What numbers/dates are they exactly?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:Two Plugs eh? Those must be early issues from a very short run (it only existed from 1977 to 1979 before merging with The Beezer). What numbers/dates are they exactly?
Numbers 4 & 5 from October 1977.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's strange - Plug's cap should be yellow, not green! Otherwise, good covers, but I wonder why they moved away from an athletic Plug in favour of film parodies in the title strip (as seen in two of the three Plug covers shown in the Beano Story So Far book) - it changed back at some point after the Beezer merger, I know from one of the early 80s Beezer annuals, specifically a story involving a javelin.

Thanks for posting the scans, that's more than I asked for! :)