R.I.P The Dandy Masterhead....

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

BeanoKev70

R.I.P The Dandy Masterhead....

Post by BeanoKev70 »

Well you need a magnifying glass to see the Dandy on the current issue of The Dandy Xtreme. What are we looking at here, The New monthly Xtreme Magazine shortly?

tony ingram

Re: R.I.P The Dandy Masterhead....

Post by tony ingram »

Unfortunately, I'd guess that's exactly where it's heading. An ignominious end for a British institution.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

On the other hand, if DC Thomson now go public about their intention to 'kill off' the name because 'it's just not popular anymore' it could turn out to be a brilliant marketing strategy leading to the triumphant 'return' of The Dandy in all its glory! Or would that be a bit too much like crying wolf for the second time? :)

- Phil Rushton

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

unless...... Xtreme becomes monthly and carries on as the Toxic imitation that it currently is and we actually get our weekly Dandy back? That would be great even if it had, for economical reasons, a large number of reprints.

I'm not talking purely from a nostalgic standpoint either: my 8 year old son says he would much rather have a weekly comic "like my brother's Beano"...

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Spencer wrote:unless...... Xtreme becomes monthly and carries on as the Toxic imitation that it currently is and we actually get our weekly Dandy back? That would be great even if it had, for economical reasons, a large number of reprints.

I'm not talking purely from a nostalgic standpoint either: my 8 year old son says he would much rather have a weekly comic "like my brother's Beano"...
Or possibly, if that's not economically viable, keep Xtreme as it is and simply merge Dandy with Beano?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

philcom55 wrote:On the other hand, if DC Thomson now go public about their intention to 'kill off' the name because 'it's just not popular anymore' it could turn out to be a brilliant marketing strategy leading to the triumphant 'return' of The Dandy in all its glory! Or would that be a bit too much like crying wolf for the second time? :)

- Phil Rushton
Sounds like you're suggesting a repeat of the 1997 Desperate Dan publicity stunt where he supposedly left, only to come back three weeks later. The Sun even ran reprints (single line, so from either the Sunday Post or Weekly News, not Dandy itself) during that time.

Personally, I think the 2007 relaunch should never have happened, although the 2004 one where they went glossy was a good move, don't know why Beano waited another 4 years. I also think Dandy should do what Beano does and have a core of established characters - bring back Smasher, Winker Watson, and Beryl the Peril and include Dan and Bananaman in every issue. Sadly, I don't think that's gonna happen. :(

NP

Post by NP »

Next issue of Dandy Xtreme has 16 pages of comic strip, so, y'know, use it or lose it, especially if you'd like to see Desperate Dan fighting a big metal robot! (Jamie Smart of course). Plus there's all the usual faves even Bully Beef and Chips.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Excellent Excellent... Would that be all new strips, or a mix of reprints? And who does Bully Beef & Chips these days- or is that a reprint (and if so, from what era?)

And what issue number/date is that? I might want to keep an eye out for it here in Australia,

Ross

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Nigel,

Thanks for the heads-up about the number of comic-strip pages, my son will be happy!

Rossmac - Bully Beef & Chips are new episodes, drawn by Wayne Thompson (I think?). In fact, Mr Thompson seems to have so many strips now we maybe looking at a change of title to 'Wayne Xtreme' (incorporating 'Nigel' of course)

Maybe that's the grand title change plan :wink:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It would only take another two pages to make it 50% comic strip - glad to hear that there's so many. And I never thought Bully Beef would ever return, due to being politically incorrect (glorifying bullying) although I suppose the Roger the Dodger strips involving Cruncher Kerr follow a similar theme, with Roger in the Chips role. If they bring back some of the others I mentioned, maybe we can return to the Dandy of old. The way to update is to use new artists and characters alongside established ones, and it looks like Dandy Xtreme may finally be learning just how the Beano survives so well. And I'm glad to hear it.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

rossmac wrote:And what issue number/date is that? I might want to keep an eye out for it here in Australia
The date should be 16th May 2009. The date is always the first Saturday of issue. Tried to check the issue number at www.dandy.com but it still mentions April Fools pranks - clearly not updated for the last three issues. :x

NP

Post by NP »

rossmac wrote:Would that be all new strips?
Yes, every strip brand new. 16 May sounds right but it could be the one after that, I'll check. Glad you're going to support us!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Checked last weeks Beano, the last Dandy was on sale 7th May (so dated 9th May), so the next one is dated the 23rd. I got the week of issue mixed up.

Seems the comics are getting more popular - my local Asda has apparently sold out of both Beano and Dandy this week.

I've just updated Wikipedia to indicate Bully Beef's revival - could someone go there and cite a source - i.e. a scan of the new version of the strip?

Spencer, you think it's Wayne Thompson? He signs his work, so its easy enough to check.

EDIT: Just spotted this on Wikipedia's Dandy Xtreme article:
It is currently the lowest selling children's comic in the UK, with sales averaging at approximately 23,000 per fortnight
If that's true, then the reintroduction of Bully Beef might well be the last throw of the dice. It doesn't help that someone's forgetting to update the website! :( To think a decade ago Dandy was second only to The Beano...

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

Digifiend wrote:Just spotted this on Wikipedia's Dandy Xtreme article: It is currently the lowest selling children's comic in the UK, with sales averaging at approximately 23,000 per fortnight
Does anyone know how many copies were sold per week before going Xtreme?
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

Sidnny

Now if I was in charge...

Post by Sidnny »

What I would do is to divide the Dandy and Xtreme titles. The latter going monthly and keeping to its present theme. I would also be so generous as to donate a few characters (e.g. Jak and Todd, Olly but NOT DD, Banaman or Cuddles & Dimples).

Then under a blaze of publicity, I would relaunch the Dandy as a weekly with new design, dynamic front page with characters literally leaping out at you. In it, featuring top characters from its 70-year history. Okay, some would have to be reprinted but the ones that are not, I would give to artists/writers with the simple directive: don't be too scared in shaking off the cobwebs and try different things and above all, make it funny). Look what Jamie's done with Desperate Dan, there's the new Bully Beef and Chips and I loved Korky in last year's summer special.

It may work but at least it nothing else, Dandy would go out with a bang rather than (IMHO) this little drawn out whimper.

Of course, DCT may be bankrupt after a year in my charge but it would be fun. :D

I agree with Digifiend that the 2004 relaunch was a good move but I would have carried it out as my proposal above.
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).