Money Fun comic by Denis Gifford..

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Money Fun comic by Denis Gifford..

Post by Peter Gray »

Anyone know any more info...like how many issues..thanks
http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... -1981.html
new blog post..
See Brian Walkers work..bring Chips, Jester and Joker comic characters to life...

Issue 2 has The Cash Street kids drawn by Les Barton with a credit to Leo Baxendale.
I'll put up this in another blog post ..

philcom55

Re: Money Fun comic by Denis Gifford..

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks for showing that Peter. I've never seen it before but somewhat unsurprisingly Denis included the title in his own 1985 Catalogue of British Comics, listing a total run of two issues and noting that Basil Reynolds contributed to the second one.

- Phil Rushton

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Peter Gray wrote:Anyone know any more info...like how many issues..thanks
http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... -1981.html
new blog post..
See Brian Walkers work..bring Chips, Jester and Joker comic characters to life...

Issue 2 has The Cash Street kids drawn by Les Barton with a credit to Leo Baxendale.
I'll put up this in another blog post ..
Looks good, where did you geti it?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

From my cousin who didn't want his comics any more..he often sent off for comics...like I have a Barker one..
love to see the icecream comic one with ice cream hand...foot..funny face..etc..anyone got that for us to see..Walls...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:Issue 2 has The Cash Street kids drawn by Les Barton with a credit to Leo Baxendale.
Trouble is, DC Thomson own the Bash Street Kids copyright, not Mr Baxendale. Maybe that's why there was no issue 3! I mean, Buster's last issue revealed Buster Capp as having Dennis the Menace's hairstyle! If that hadn't been the last one, Thomsons could've sued Fleetway for plagarism - and Barton's Cash Street commits the same crime. Did the characters look anything like the Beano kids?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
Peter Gray wrote:Issue 2 has The Cash Street kids drawn by Les Barton with a credit to Leo Baxendale.
Trouble is, DC Thomson own the Bash Street Kids copyright, not Mr Baxendale. Maybe that's why there was no issue 3! I mean, Buster's last issue revealed Buster Capp as having Dennis the Menace's hairstyle! If that hadn't been the last one, Thomsons could've sued Fleetway for plagarism - and Barton's Cash Street commits the same crime. Did the characters look anything like the Beano kids?
Leo's credit for Cash Street Kids is presumably because he wrote it. At a guess I'd say there was no issue 3 because the sponsors got tired of the idea. It was only a promotional item after all.

Satire is acceptable, and the Cash Street Kids (and Buster's one-panel "Dennis" hairstyle) certainly fit as satire. Besides, the Cash Street characters are inspired by Leo's Swots and Blots rather than Thomson's Bash Street. But that's all they are: inspired by. There's no direct use of copyrighted characters.

Nice strip though!

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hmm, Les Barton's art style looks quite similar to Tom Paterson's.

wigwam

Post by wigwam »

Hi Peter,

Is there anything by Basil Reynolds in no. 2?
He revisited his old artwork:
-"Skit, Skat and the Captain", which he drew for Mickey Mouse Weekly from the very first issue in 1936 (unfortunately I do not know when this b/w-series was terminated);
-"Wonders of the wild" looks just like his wildlife contributions to, again, Mickey Mouse weekly (1952-1954), Express Weekly and Express Annuals (1955-1962) and Playhour Annual (1957-1958).

Hope to see more like this in no. 2.

Best,

John Wigmans
Netherlands

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

wigwam wrote: -"Skit, Skat and the Captain", which he drew for Mickey Mouse Weekly from the very first issue in 1936 (unfortunately I do not know when this b/w-series was terminated);
Mickey Mouse Weekly first series started and ended - 8th February 1936 to 28th Decemember 1957.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Being a bank holiday weekend I'm a bit busy...will put up number 2 soon..