Pub Challenge

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Pub Challenge

Post by Kashgar »

After a bit of a chat what could be better than a bit of a challenge, yard of ale style, down our local, virtual hostelry.
While sunbathing yesterday afternoon my mind turned, for some inexplicable reason, to strips and stories that contained numbers in their titles and in the space of two hours I managed to count from number 1 to number 14 using strip and story titles (a couple are a little tenuous but then yours can be too).

One-eyed Jack - Tough NY cop in Valiant
The Two Brave Runaways - adventure story about a plucky brother and sister which began in Dandy No 1 in 1937.
The Silent Three - the St Kitts secret society in School Friend
The Four Marys - the St Elmos' girls school friends in Bunty
Five Bullets for Idris the Cruel - Foreign Legion revenge strip set in the 1920's in Wizard.
Six Brands for Bonnie Prince Charlie - a family of highland brothers have the whereabouts of a Spanish treasure tattoed on their backs in this Beano strip.
Joe White and the Seven Dwarfs - comic adventure strip from the Dandy revolving around the ownership of a circus.
Eight Men in a Boat - the story of a crew preparing for the Varsity Boat Race from Adventure.
The Ninety-(Nine) Deadly Days - OK strictly speaking the number is 99 but nine is in there. Scientists have 99 days to stop the worlds ice-caps from melting in this Victor strip.
(Ten) Thousand Years Ago - Again a little tenuous but a Hotspur strip featuring a member of a prehistoric European tribe.
Legges Eleven - Ted Legges misfit football team from Valiant.
Twelve Guilty Men - and each brought to justice, one by one, in this Valiant picture strip.
The Fighting 13 - a rugby league strip from Tiger.
The Forgotten (Fourteen)th - the Burma campaign 1943-1945 as seen through the eyes of the fourteenth army in this Victor strip (so little commented on in the national press at the time that they dubbed themselves 'forgotten').
Anyone else want to have a go.....

Digifiend

Re: Pub Challenge

Post by Digifiend »

Number 13 from The Beano.
P5 from The Dandy.

Can't think of a full set though. I'll have a search using Google later.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

Throw in Back to Zero story in Topper and you will have a run of 15!
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Or Nero and Zero. Thanks for reminding me. 8)

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Please do not take these seriously just a bit of fun

Les PreTENd

Lazy JONEs

GRANDpa

You can take The three Bears seriously though, bit obvious perhaps

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Beyond Zero and M.A.C.H One from 2000AD,
Can't think of a two at the moment, but Three Men In A Jeep from either Crunch, Bullet or Wizard
The Coward of The Fighting 43rd (The first Cadman story)
Five-Fathom Fury from Commando
Again, stuck for six
But Seek The Seven Blades, either the McGregor story from Jacobean times or the more modern version set in WW2
Again 8 and 9 have me stumped for the moment, but for 10 it has to be Ten Tough Paratroopers and 11 is Eleven Litte Soccer Boys.

Now, this is a random chat idea, but how about all the post WW2 stories? I can start people off with Kelly's Choppers, Union Jack Jackson as a Sgt, The Best Of Enemies and Fighting Mann. The only stipulation is that it has to be a war that actually happened. So out goes Holocaust Squadron and Invasion 1999!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

A few from Wizard

The Fiery Man at Number Six - The Wizard(1970's)
My Number is Nine - The Wizard(1970's)
The 13 Quests of John Landon - The Wizard(1970's)
The Lost 47 Minutes - The Wizard(1970's)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:Anyone else want to have a go.....

No. Sorry Kashgar, I'd like to help, I really would, but............look, it's a bit embarrassing really, but the fact is I was thinking about your recent Pub Chat idea and I went through this door and.....well, I seem to be stuck in some place called Cathay. Mind you I can see a young lad over there in short pants with a strange design on his bum, perhaps he might be able to explain what's going on.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:lol: Nice Magic Patch reference! No number in the name though...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote::lol: Nice Magic Patch reference! No number in the name though
Well, not so as you'd notice, I agree, but Jimmy told me that he has 2000 in his name. He told me he had been to Ancient Rome for one of his previous holidays and he'd picked up a bit of the Latin lingo while he was there, as you do. He says MM is duo milia over there and I think it makes him feel quite important. He was certainly carrying himself with a bit of a swagger just before he disappeared. I had asked him in the heat of the battle whether I could get out of this mess and he was very positive, saying something that sounded a bit like Kublai Khan. Apparently he'd been reading about it somewhere, although I'm really not sure what he meant. Anyway I figure that if Kublai Khan so khan I. Like the Cap, I'll be back......sometime. Now where exactly was that :censored: doooooooor?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

phoenix4ever wrote:
Digifiend wrote: :lol: Nice Magic Patch reference! No number in the name though
Well, not so as you'd notice, I agree, but Jimmy told me that he has 2000 in his name.
Roman numerals! Hadn't thought of that - very clever. On the same logic the new name for Ali's Baba: Jimmy's Green Genie, from Dandy of 2004 (just before the relaunch that year). Also Jimmy Jinx and what he thinks (both these strips were in the Topper). Like Magic Patch, they have Jimmy in the title, therefore MM, hence 2000.

On that logic by the way, anything with an X, V, I, M, L or C in the title contains a number.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Right, here's my list of Numbers, taken primarily from Thomsons' text story papers.

Zero The Silent
The Half-Back Nobody Knew
One-Two-And Bullets Flew
Me And My Two Fists
The Three-Humped Camel
Four Challenges From Z Island
Mystery In Class 5
Six Men Hear The Whisper
Desk No. 7 At Ladford School
The 8-Foot Stride
9 Mystery Killers
Ten Men - And Chucker Lee
The Ragged Eleven
12 Terrible Problems For Wolfer Campbell
13 Trails To Sudden Death
The Fourteen Wee Wonders
The 'Tecs Turned Green At Four-Fifteen
The Secret War Of Deep 16
Shawnee Wells Was Here (she would have been about seventeen when she took off. It's no surprise to me that she got clean away, because Jubal Smith thought he was searching for a town.)
Jake's Giant Killers (I think he ended up with eighteen in his squad.)
The Menace In Pit 19
Too Old At Twenty

So what's next? Colours? I'll start you off. The Yellow Sword, Crimson Comet. Or perhaps Titles With Only Five Words? What about The Further Truth About Wilson, The Hoodoo On The Rangers? Here's one, Grasshopper Green - The Flying Eye. Now that one should be worth at least 100 points because it will drop nicely into both categories. I await further suggestions as to how I might continue to 'waste my ti..' - sorry, that should have said 'have a lot of fun'.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Crimson Ball, The Red Wrecker, The Purple Cloud, and a very obvious one - Black Bob. All from Dandy if I'm not mistaken.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Well done phoenix4ever for expanding on the theme to such an extent and to everyone else for their input ( I particularly liked 'Back to Zero' and Nero and Zero). As to the colours variation I'll go for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet as inherently part of the title 'The Rainbow Boys'.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Cliff Hanger had a different number on him every week..:)

ODD ball...a odd number

3 Way Stan by Brian Walker in Whizzer and Chips... :lol: