Advert for Nutty no.1

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Advert for Nutty no.1

Post by stevezodiac »

While scanning in a couple of Judys for another post I noticed this ad for Nutty no. 1 so i thought i'd share it with forum members.

Digifiend

Re: Advert for Nutty no.1

Post by Digifiend »

Eh? The comic says it's Every Saturday but the date of release is Friday 8th - and the issue date is Saturday 16th - so the comic wasn't out on the date or day stated on the cover!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

DCT publications were all dated for the Saturday at least two days in the future - and while the official on-sale date was Saturday for Nutty, Thursday for the Beano, and (historically), Tuesday for the Dandy, actual on-sale date was always a day earlier.

IPC was similar. Whizzer and Chips was every Monday from memory, but hit the streets on Fridays.

Raven

Post by Raven »

AndyB wrote:
IPC was similar. Whizzer and Chips was every Monday from memory, but hit the streets on Fridays.

Mine always came in Monday morning's newspaper. I just mustn't have visited many newsagents as a kid. If only I'd known then that I could had have had it on Saturday morning, for the weekend, as I later found out. A case of a lazy newsagent not bothered to unpack it in time for Saturday's papers?

This is the first time I've heard it actually came out on Friday! Might this have been just in London ... ?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Beano used to come out on Tuesday instead of Wednesday at one point (it still said every Thursday on the cover, but never again returned to Thursday release). So a regional release day difference is a possibility.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Well, Radio Times is out a day early in London, and I think the weekly music press used to be, too.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Absolutely. On my visits to London I've also noticed that the next day's newspapers are available well before midnight. I imagine that this is so that celebs can find out which club they are going to get smashed out of their skulls in that night and therefore take all necessary steps to evade the ubiquitous paparazzi.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I rarely missed a comic I collected as a kid,every saturday morning after coming back from my paperound I would get my wages and go and buy my comics from the rows & rows of the newly delivered comics oh happy days. :D better then now :(

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The comics I used to get regularly in South Wales in the seventies and eighties were always in the shops a couple of days before the day stated on the cover. Always wondered why.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Things have changed now. That's why The beano finally started putting Every Wednesday on the cover. It had actually been out on Wednesdays for at least 15 years before they finally did that. I've never actually known it come out on Thursday, apart from rare times when there were delivery problems (other magazines, and not just DCTs were also missing on those occasions, and the blame would presumably lie with the distributors, not the publishers or retailers).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I live in Northern Ireland - I believe that London has historically been a day earlier than the regions :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Probably because they're printed there.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

One of our local newsagents (an independent shop not a chain store) used to drive to the distributors every Friday to pick up Saturday's comics so that his shop could get the advantage a day earlier! Such were the high sales of comics in the late seventies/early 1980s that it was worth his time doing that.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Raven

Post by Raven »

I think my weekly Super Spider-Man (Marvel UK) used to arrive at our nearest newsagents on Wednesday, but they didn't want to get it out till the next day. Pah - little me needed to know if Spider-Man had survived his latest battle! I remember going down there on late Wednesday afternoons making them cut open their latest batches of magazines to get it out for me, grumbling as they did so.

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

I was always intrigued - why did DCT never produce a Nutty Summer Special or Book at the time?
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).