Lord Snooty the Third and His Pals

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Lord Snooty the Third and His Pals

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like Snooty got some pals like his ancestor at last - and he climbed over the wall in a style very similar to the very first Lord Snooty strip in 1938! Nice one NP! :D
Attachments
snooty.PNG

tony ingram

Re: Lord Snooty the Third and His Pals

Post by tony ingram »

Nice to see The Beano linking to its past like this. Did we ever learn what became of the previous Lords Marmaduke?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The implication is that Snooty I (Grandad) is dead - of course, he would have to be, otherwise I THINK that Snooty III would as yet only be the Honourable Marmaduke. I think I said somewhere else that as soon as Snooty I died, Snooty III might have been granted one of Snooty II's subsidiary titles, perhaps a Barony.

(yes, I went the wrong direction before I edited this!)

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

AndyB wrote:The implication is that Snooty I (Grandad) is dead - of course, he would have to be, otherwise I THINK that Snooty III would as yet only be the Honourable Marmaduke. I think I said somewhere else that as soon as Snooty I died, Snooty III might have been granted one of Snooty II's subsidiary titles, perhaps a Barony.

(yes, I went the wrong direction before I edited this!)
So the original is deceased, eh? Very sad. He should have taken some of whatever miracle drugs Dennis and Minnie have used to keep themselves youthful all these years.

They've never worked as well for the Dodger, of course-Roger has always been going a bit grey at the temples... :D

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

AndyB wrote:The implication is that Snooty I (Grandad) is dead - of course,
Nope! The truth is that the First Lord Snooty seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth on August 20th 1969, shortly after several people had seen him in the company of a scruffy schoolboy with a distinctive patch sewn into the seat of his trousers. For legal purposes he was presumed dead several years later, thereby allowing Snooty II to inherit the title, but to this day no-one really knows what became of him!

- Phil Rushton

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I think I'll plump for an 'infinite Earths' solution to this problem. I think the original Dudley Watkins' Snooty and all his pals are all alive and well, unaged and ageless, in a corner of the Beano universe where there will always be 240 pence in the pound. Snooty III's grandad may well have looked like that Snooty and his aged pals Scrapper, Thomas and Lanky Liz (who live in the Bunkerton residential care home for the elderly) may also look like superannuated versions of the 'originals' but they are all from a different corner of the universe.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

philcom55 wrote:
Nope! The truth is that the First Lord Snooty seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth on August 20th 1969
Yet he was still in the Beano until 1991! I assume you used that date because by then Dudley watkins was no longer drawing him - I think for Snooty III's timeline to work out, the non-DDW Snooty strips (1970-1991) must be non-canonical. Doesn't really matter so much like Marvel or DC Comics though, the continuity is very loose.

Going back to my original post, what do you all think of the friends Snooty has made? There's a token girl (Frankie, who looks a bit like the older girl from London B4 12 I reckon), a ethnic character (Naz), triplets (although only two of them are in the gang, One and Three) basically an older version of Snitch and Snatch, and a long haired Emo character called, unimaginateively, Emo. I wonder if these are permanent additions? NP?

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

They should get a Goat! I would love to see the original Snooty re-appear as an eccentric old millionaire perhaps acting sensible with other adults but then maybe having lots of fun with his grandson when hes not being watched by adults

He can't be Dead! If he is would that be the first proper Death in the Beano?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I've mentioned that before, when Snooty III first appeared. I believe it would.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:
philcom55 wrote:
Nope! The truth is that the First Lord Snooty seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth on August 20th 1969
Yet he was still in the Beano until 1991! I assume you used that date because by then Dudley watkins was no longer drawing him - I think for Snooty III's timeline to work out, the non-DDW Snooty strips (1970-1991) must be non-canonical. Doesn't really matter so much like Marvel or DC Comics though, the continuity is very loose.
No, the Snooty strip didn't run continuously; there was a very definite break, of quite some time, between the original strip ending and the second version with Big Fat Joe and the rest incorporated into it.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Steve Henderson wrote: He can't be Dead! If he is would that be the first proper Death in the Beano?
Well, Big Eggo's probably not too healthy by now either... ;-)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:I think the original Dudley Watkins' Snooty and all his pals are all alive and well, unaged and ageless, in a corner of the Beano universe where there will always be 240 pence in the pound.
That just has to be so, Kashgar. Otherwise we would have to acknowledge that Baldy Hogan will be about 93, Cannonball Kidd and Alf Tupper will be a sprightly 77, assuming they've kept up their gym membership that is, and as for Wilson, well you can work that out for yourself.
Steve Henderson wrote:They should get a Goat!
And you can see from this suggestion just what happens when we go down that road, Gertie's dead. I don't believe it. I loved that goat, she had a friendly look about her, as well as a rather mischievous wink as I recall, a bit like Ann Robinson on The Weakest Link. Now there's a thought, perhaps as Gertie aged she.....no I don't think I should follow that thought through after all.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Surely it's time Angus's grandson appeared, together with Sammy, Samuel the castle guard's grandson, and third cousin Matilda?

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

I have just been on Wikipedia (were all the facts in the world are kept) and it turns out that the Ostrich have a lifespan of up to 70 years, and with last year being the 70th anniversary of the Beano I fear you may be right about Big Eggo Lew! :(

...and it was on wikipedia so it must be true

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

tony ingram wrote:No, the Snooty strip didn't run continuously; there was a very definite break, of quite some time, between the original strip ending and the second version with Big Fat Joe and the rest incorporated into it.
Actually that was barely a year, 1949-1950. Also, I never said it was continuous. I said that the continuity was loose. For example, in Dr Who, the Daleks have had their origin retconned - that's loose continuity. So is the original Red Power Ranger suddenly having his powers back when he guested in the Wild Force season's (season 10) Forever Red episode, when his powers were destroyed in season 3. In Marvel Comics however, the House of M storyline saw most mutants lose their powers. Only a select few have ever got them back - the change was permanent. That's stronger continuity, although the fact the characters don't age properly is an example of loose continuity!