What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Digifiend »

STARBOY wrote:Man these great car boot sales seem to be appearing in every part of the UK except Central Scotland
and East Yorkshire. There's only one in Hull which runs every week (Walton Street, for those who know the city), and because it's on a Sunday, the flipping buses don't run to get me there on time! :x It would take too long, as I have to catch two buses. So I have to rely on charity shops. :( Still, my local YMCA shop had a Sparky Book 1967 not so long ago, which I snapped up immediately (I've mentioned it in another thread). Was actually on Buy One Get One Free, but there was nothing else I wanted - the only other annuals were two Blue Peters and a 1970s Guniness Book of Records. Boring!

Reading all these stories of great car boot bargains is starting to make me jealous... :mrgreen:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Errr...instead of going straight off to 30th Century Comics last night, I got distracted and ended up going for a long walk carrying a rucksack (I'm hoping to go to Holland for Nijmegen 2010 so I do need to train). Carrying a weighted rucksack on sunburnt shoulders is not funny! So when I got back, I sneaked off to buy some more Polar toys and bid on a collection of Bullets. So my budget kind of got chewed to bits!

But on the good news side, I woke up this morning to find that I am now the proud owner of a large chunk of the Bullet run with 96 down and only about 40 to go! I just hope that they don't resemble origami like the last lot I got! Grrr.

My only problem now is how am I going to move all this lot back to the UK?? :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Another stall had another pile of 'Look & Learns', but I thought I had bought enough.

No Digifiend no car push bike and ruck sack.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Just been given a nod by phoenix that I should re-direct my online shopping to 30th Century as it will help complete my Warlord weeklies and even fill in some gaps in the Victor run.
colcool007 wrote:I woke up this morning to find that I am now the proud owner of a large chunk of the Bullet run with 96 down and only about 40 to go
It must be the shimmering heat out there, Col, producing mirages. It's pretty hot here too, so I'm just off to the local Coop for a fourpack. However, in the light of your experience, I will make every effort to concentrate while I am in there because, you never know, I might just come back with a packet of birdseed instead. :? :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

steelclaw wrote:No Digifiend no car push bike and ruck sack.
At least that's good for the environment. :up:

Col, keep it up and you might have to buy an extra suitcase!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Its me, i'm back after a couple of pc free days. First of all i'd like to humbly apologise to digifiend for my earth shattering mistake. I will saw one of my legs off as a penance. To tell the truth i didn't really pay much attention to the two titles. But digifiend seems to have something against me as i noticed another snipe on the Bill Ritchie post. Incidentally i have the very first issue of The School Friend from 1919 and notice there is no gallery picture of it on this website. If i scanned it in here could it be transferred to the gallery section? On Saturday (at Deptford market as usual) I picked up two Monkees annuals (1967 and 1968 - were there more?) for £2 each and the 1972 Sindy annual for 50p. BTW The Schoolgirl annual is all text with illustrations but does have several full colour plates.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

I was a bit pedantic wasn't I? And I didn't deliberately target one person twice. :oops:

About School Friend, email it to Al, details here: http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/AboutMe/AboutMeWhole.asp

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

phoenix4ever wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Just been given a nod by phoenix that I should re-direct my online shopping to 30th Century as it will help complete my Warlord weeklies and even fill in some gaps in the Victor run.
colcool007 wrote:I woke up this morning to find that I am now the proud owner of a large chunk of the Bullet run with 96 down and only about 40 to go
It must be the shimmering heat out there, Col, producing mirages. It's pretty hot here too, so I'm just off to the local Coop for a fourpack. However, in the light of your experience, I will make every effort to concentrate while I am in there because, you never know, I might just come back with a packet of birdseed instead. :? :lol:
Hey, I didn't do too bad. I got 96 comics for less than their cover price. Plus, I may be able to put an end to Peter's search for the kids that are armed with non-lethal weapons! But then again, I may be slurring Peter's name in vain as I await a decent run of the comics...

Phoenix, it may be warm in the UK, but not as warm as we find it! Where I am, we consider a few months of temperatures sub 30 C as being unseasonally cool!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I tried e-mailing a scan when i first discovered this site but nothing came of it. Surely if i put a scan here it can easily be copied and pasted into the gallery? :?:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Worth a try. But Al might not be updating anything until Comics UK V2 is ready.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just checked again, Colin, on your behalf and, lo and behold, all those juicy issues of Warlord that you need to complete/finish/box off your collection of that entire title ARE STILL AVAILABLE - but, how will you feel if they have been bought by somebody else for their collection when you finally stop dithering and move in to buy them?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Just bought a pristine copy of Doctor Who Special: Journey Through Time off ebay for 99p. Some lovely strips reprinted from the first 20 years worth of World Distributors Doctor Who Annuals (and some truly dire text stories). Well worth it, I think...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

phoenix4ever wrote:I've just checked again, Colin, on your behalf and, lo and behold, all those juicy issues of Warlord that you need to complete/finish/box off your collection of that entire title ARE STILL AVAILABLE - but, how will you feel if they have been bought by somebody else for their collection when you finally stop dithering and move in to buy them?
Stop nagging! You're worse than Mrs colcool007! :lol: She encourages me to buy as many comics as possible! But just spoken to Will and the 1986 comics are now winging their way to me. I am awaiting these other comics for 1985 to end and then I will use 30th again to fill in the holes.

Also just bought issue 71 of Victor, which was nice. Even nicer is that it is the first appearance of Alf Tupper in a comic that became synonymous with his character.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:But just spoken to Will and the 1986 comics are now winging their way to me. I am awaiting these other comics for 1985 to end and then I will use 30th again to fill in the holes.
Well that's a result, as Arthur Daley used to say.

:tick: :up: :wave: :cheers: :lol:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

colcool007 wrote:
phoenix4ever wrote:I've just checked again, Colin, on your behalf and, lo and behold, all those juicy issues of Warlord that you need to complete/finish/box off your collection of that entire title ARE STILL AVAILABLE - but, how will you feel if they have been bought by somebody else for their collection when you finally stop dithering and move in to buy them?
Stop nagging! You're worse than Mrs colcool007! :lol: She encourages me to buy as many comics as possible! But just spoken to Will and the 1986 comics are now winging their way to me. I am awaiting these other comics for 1985 to end and then I will use 30th again to fill in the holes.

Also just bought issue 71 of Victor, which was nice. Even nicer is that it is the first appearance of Alf Tupper in a comic that became synonymous with his character.
Col shall I'll buy them?
Did you get them for less then this?
Less then a quid each.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Victor-Comics-lar ... C294%3A100