What's the most you've spent on one comic?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Steve Henderson

Re: What's the most you've spent on one comic?

Post by Steve Henderson »

The most I ever spent is £1.50 on this weeks Beano! £1-flippin-50!!!!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Steve Henderson wrote:The most I ever spent is £1.50 on this weeks Beano! £1-flippin-50!!!!
You'll be pleased to know that today's issue is back to £1.25. :)

Increasing the cover price on occasion seems to be a growing trend unfortunately. Panini's Spectacular Spider-Man has fluctuated between £1.99 and £2.50 for a few years, and Toxic also varies its price. As long as the comics sell, they'll carry on doing it I suppose, but it seems a gamble to me.

All out of our hands of course. These decisions aren't made by contributors or editors. ;-)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Ha ha I know Lew I was just being daft, although when all the editors and contributors get together and blow all the extra money on a solid gold yacht and sit there in the med laughing at us all whilst smoking cigars and scoffing caviar, spare a thought for me being 25p worse off!!

chaseynz

Post by chaseynz »

The most I've spent on one comic is $50NZD (about 20GBP) for 2000AD prog 1208 when I was catching up on 10 years of missing back issues. Prog 1208 is supossedly the rarest of all of the 2000AD's due to most of them being damaged in a warehouse fire/flood. Also once spent $342NZD (120GBP) on an all-but-one complete collection of Action.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Maybe they go up in price according to the *free* gift.

The most I've spent on one is £17 for Cor!! number one. It's very nice to have to have but I was a bit annoyed as there were a few defects not mentioned on the Ebay listing, like a brown mark going through several pages - not quite in the perfect condition it was described as.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

did you get the free 'GULP!' orangeade sachet attached, RAVEN? A special 1970 memory!

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:did you get the free 'GULP!' orangeade sachet attached, RAVEN? A special 1970 memory!
No free gift still there. If it was, would you have actually dared to drink it?!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

probably not.......

Earl

Post by Earl »

£80 on an X-Men 1 about 18 years ago. I am not sure the most I ever paid for a UK comic. Must be less than £20 otherwise I would remember. I do remember paying £10 for a Merry and Bright 1 during my honeymoon in 1996.

Earl.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Earl wrote:... I do remember paying £10 for a Merry and Bright 1 during my honeymoon in 1996.

Earl.
Now, that's what I call dedication to comic collecting. Mind you, when my divorce from my first wife was going through, the first thing that I did was made sure that my weekly order for 2000AD and Megazine was still in place!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Just saw the first 3 Valiant & Vulcan's the only 3 with the free mini mag sell on ebay for £5 each,with just one bid must have been the same person, I was tempted, would they have been worth it? I don't know, the person selling them wanted £2.50p postage for each one what a rip off,I asked if she combined postage she said "it depends on how many you want" it put me off a bit.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Like most collectors, I have paid quite a lot on a number of occasions over the years for batches of story papers, from sources such as book fairs, eBay, and comic dealers like the late Norman Shaw, Border Bookshop in Todmorden (proprietor Victor Collinge being the new Norman Shaw, at least in terms of stock, better in all other ways) and The Book Palace in Gipsy Hill (when you actually find the place, you do get a warm welcome). However, the most I have ever paid for just one was £190 on eBay a couple of years ago for issue 1 of The Wizard from 1922, and in order to blow a determined pursuer out of the water I had to up my bid to a level which, had I been forced to pay it, would have sent me the following day cap in hand to the bank for a loan. I nearly missed out on it anyway because I knew nothing about the auction until a friend rang me up and alerted me to it. I had resigned myself to never coming across a copy. In over thirty years of collecting I had never even seen one, nor have I seen another since. I'm not saying it's the only one in circulation but if there are others their owners are hanging on to them like grim death. Mind you, I have since bought in the free gift that went with it. I will include that when I sell the paper on, so I should make a tidy profit. :D

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Not exactly comics but got a few pages of original art, with a couple of Captain Britain covers each going well into the hundreds.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...But were they by Trimpe or Davis? :)

- Phil Rushton

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I think i paid about £25 in the end for a 1919 issue of The Union Jack called "A Duel to the Death", featuring the first appearance of Zenith The Albino!