ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by steelclaw »

At last it?s out, and it?s well worth the wait. I read all 4 again and didn?t realize how much I had forgot or missed out first time I read them, there?s so much in them, every frame you have to read carefully and look at the art to make sure you don?t miss anything. I found myself looking forward to reading issue 2 and 3 again while I was reading issue 1, (if that makes any sense)
If you haven?t got any of them hunt them out, you don?t need to be familiar with the characters as you can find out about them on this site, or just dig out your old ?Pow ? ?smash ? ?Lion? and ?Valiant? comics.
I Think that Leah Moore Alan Moore and John Reppion are really brave bringing back the old UK comic characters that haven?t been around for 23 odd years, and it has worked brilliantly, and it proves their is a market for them.

Joe McDonald

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by Joe McDonald »

I couldn't agree more, Steel Claw.

Fair play to Moore and Reppion, this is the best one yet - well worth the horribly extended wait.

I quite liked Shane Oakley's art back in the day on Mr X but George Freeman's inks really take Oakley's pencils to the next level.

Plus an appearance by Tri-Man!

Fingers crossed that #5 will be out sooner rather than later....

karl

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by karl »

:D
Great read. great art work. pity about all the delays.

This is a great series of comics captureing the old and the new in just the

right measure. I hope they make good use of 'Zip' Nolan who has been

given a personality, something he lacked in 'lion' all those years ago.

kevf

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by kevf »

I've only seen issue 1 in the shops and had assumed it had ended there. Who can the audience possibly be? Surely everyone who's ever heard of bloody Tri-Man is on this Comics UK forum, and frankly that's not that many people!
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by steelclaw »

kevf wrote:I've only seen issue 1 in the shops and had assumed it had ended there. Who can the audience possibly be? Surely everyone who's ever heard of bloody Tri-Man is on this Comics UK forum, and frankly that's not that many people!
Just because it's not your cup of tea, doesn't mean it hasn't sold, over 20,000 copies of issue 1 was sold.
I don't think this forum has that many members :?

paulvonscott

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by paulvonscott »

I've enjoyed it immensly and reckon once it's all out people will really value this comic for what it has achieved.

I'm really made up about this issue because the retro comic I work on, Solar Wind is an annual title in one of the panels. That's the higest honour aftet a knighthood :p

These guys are also nominated for an Eagle Award, so if you like their comic, vote for em!

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/eagles/

Joe McDonald

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by Joe McDonald »

Good spot, Paul - Albion's been a real breath of fresh air for anyone who loves these characters or simply enjoys reading decent adventure comics.

I've just laid down my vote - fingers crossed that it wins the Eagle Award, it deserves to!

(And yes, I voted for Solar Wind as well).

Joe McD

Joe McDonald

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by Joe McDonald »

PS:

Anyone who's enjoying Albion should really check out Dave Gibbons and John Higgins' Albion-related WildStorm revival Thunderbolt Jaxon - which isn't getting anywhere near as much press but is just as much fun.

It's up to issue three so far - I think there are two more issues left to go....

paulvonscott

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by paulvonscott »

Yeah, I have enjoyed Thunderbolt Jaxon. I get the impression it doesn't have much to do with the original, is that fair?

Joe McDonald

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by Joe McDonald »

Yeah, completely.

Gibbons and Higgins have just taken the original Captain Marvel/Marvelman-lite concept as a jumping off point.

Although I DO kinda miss the original Thunderbolt's old Roman toga get-up....

steelclaw
DC Skelton

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by steelclaw »

Is No5 out yet?

paulvonscott

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by paulvonscott »

It was out at the comics festival, but that may have just been John and Leah selling their copies as a charity fundraiser.

Must be soon if not.

Richard S.

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by Richard S. »

yeah #5 is out, picked it up last week (in London)

presterjohn

ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by presterjohn »

I have been picking up this series but have mixed feelings about it. I love the covers for it I would go as far as to say the image of Robot Archies head on the table is what sold the series to me more than Alan Moores name however I am not thrilled with the art inside. It seems a strange choice to me to have the 'comic' characters drawn in a more realistic style than the 'real' characters.

Lew Stringer

Re: ALBION NUMBER 4 IS OUT

Post by Lew Stringer »

presterjohn wrote:It seems a strange choice to me to have the 'comic' characters drawn in a more realistic style than the 'real' characters.
The point, I believe, is to show that they all occupy the same universe, so an "in-between" style (for want of a better term) rather than strongly realistic or humourous is ideal.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/