What Comic Would You Like Out There?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

What Comic Would You Like Out There?

Post by SID »

Forget about the economy. Forget what kids would like/not like.

What comic would you like out there?

For me, there would be two:

Valiant. Or rather an updated version featuring the cream of IPC's comic characters but which runs more on the same line as 2000AD. But with the directive that although characters can go in any direction, on the whole they still have to remain true to their origins.

The second could be a new comic from DCT that runs in the same vein as the Beano or the Dandy (pre-Xtreme) that features updated versions of defunct characters (not from the two comics mentioned). Possibly it could be called Wikid (as in 'Wicked') or something like that. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Re: What Comic Would You Like Out There?

Post by Digifiend »

Jetix magazine used to be called Wickid, back when the Jetix TV station was still called Fox Kids. DCT did consider relaunching Wizard a few years back, a comic which had already been revived once before, but they decided to do the 2004 Dandy relaunch instead.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I'd like to see a new comic (maybe called Valiant) with the traditional UK mix of humour and adventure in it - they could feature some (not all) old characters like Janus Stark (drawn by Frank Quitely) Swots and the Blots, Faceache (by Hunt Emerson) House of Dollman (Ian Gibson) Eagle Eye Junior Spy (by Jamie Hewlett - different I know but how cool) and new stuff ; a good quality painted cover strip (SF or fantasy) by the likes of Clint Langely) and other new strips by Lew Stringer, Jamie Smart, Mike McMahon, Cam Kennedy etc

I think Marvel UK also had a comic called It's Wicked seems a common name.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Revivals of Star Lord or The Daredevils, for me. Two of my all time faves. Or Eagle.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's another one which was already revived once. If they bring Eagle back, surely Dan Dare would have to be the lead strip. Can't see Eagle without the pilot of the future.

SID

Post by SID »

STARBOY wrote:I'd like to see a new comic (maybe called Valiant) with the traditional UK mix of humour and adventure in it - they could feature some (not all) old characters like Janus Stark (drawn by Frank Quitely) Swots and the Blots, Faceache (by Hunt Emerson) House of Dollman (Ian Gibson) Eagle Eye Junior Spy (by Jamie Hewlett - different I know but how cool) and new stuff ; a good quality painted cover strip (SF or fantasy) by the likes of Clint Langely) and other new strips by Lew Stringer, Jamie Smart, Mike McMahon, Cam Kennedy etc.
I see that we are on the same lines regarding a Valiant-type comic, STARBOY. I also mean't to say that the characters used would not only come from any comic that came in contact with the original Valiant (e.g. Lion, Thunder, etc...) but from their other comics also (including Eagle (both of them), Tiger, Buster), etc... In particular, Dan Dare (I loved the series drawn by David Pugh at the time the New Eagle folded) and Roy of the Rovers.
tony ingram wrote:Revivals of Star Lord or The Daredevils, for me. Two of my all time faves. Or Eagle.
I was a great fan of Starlord and was pretty peeved (as I recall) when it merged with 2000AD after only 22 issues (which I got bound) as I thought it was just as good. Later I read somewhere that it was outselling 2000AD too at the time.

Another comic I loved and was sad to see go was Warrior. If left to continue, it could have been another 2000AD.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I remember picking up the first 2-3 issues of Starlord and was mightily impressed (At that time I felt I was too old to read UK comics at around 16ish - he says 30 plus years later & still reading the things lol) it was very different at the time - I also heard that it was released in order to merge with 2000AD. Personally I have to say WARRIOR was for me, the best UK comic of its time by a mile (with 2000AD a close second) - If I could take characters from other comics for my imaginary comic then I would add to my new "Valiant" the Spider, Spellbinder and a gritty Zip Nolan strip with of course Dan Dare (he'd be my cover lead story) possibly a version of Odd Ball Oats (a personal favourite). Oh of course I would add a few from ACTION( how could I forget that lol) Ahhh well it's not gonna happen Im afraid anytime soon.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I would like to see a comic with the mix of 'Thunder' 'Jet' & 70's Knockout.
40 Pages, Lion Size and costing 75p.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:lol: Wish the Beano was still that price!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote::lol: Wish the Beano was still that price!
I wish it was still 3d! :lol:

Lew

SID

Post by SID »

Here would be the line up in my ultimate Valiant comic.

Not in any particular order:
Dan Dare - Pilot of the Future
Roy of the Rovers
Adam Eterno
Robot Archie
Janus Stark
Spellbinder
Mytek the Mighty
Captain Hurricane
Steel Commando
Riders of the Range
PC 49
Black Max
The Spider
Cursitor Doom
The Titan Empire
Doomlord
Dredger
Spinball Wars
Faceache
Galaxus
The Steel Claw
Kelly's Eye
Major Eazy (leading Rat Pack and still drawn by Carlos Esquerra)
Rick Random
Zip Nolan
13th Floor

The editor could be Ally Sloper (unless he has never been owned by IPC/Fleetway/Egmont which in that case it could be the Sarge).

*Looking back* Hmmm! Seem to have got carried away (and even then there could be others). But didn't I say that the new Valiant would be a big comic? :wink: Anyway, not all would have to appear at once. Plus others could be merged together (exactly who would be the challenge).

Also, the comic could give away a free graphic novel (like Judge Dredd Megazine featuring a classic of one of the above.

Now as soon as someone says this is going to happen (and when), I will be rushing to my local newsagent with my 4d (well I would be willing to pay a little extra). :D

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Maybe something like a modern version of Deadline (which I think had Tank Girl) from about 20 years ago now :!:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

21 years ago, and yes Tank Girl was in Deadline: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/t/tankgirl.htm

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Muffy wrote:Maybe something like a modern version of Deadline (which I think had Tank Girl) from about 20 years ago now :!:
Don't know if you knew this but brand new Tank Girl strips have been in the Judge Dredd Megazine for the last 12 months or so.

Lew

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Ooih wasn't aware of that, do you know if thats a brand new Tank Girl strip or a reprint of the US comic that I think IDW are /were publsihing? - I dont suppose its by Jamie Hewlet is it?