New British graphic novels/comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Garen

New British graphic novels/comics

Post by Garen »

I don't keep a particularly close eye on the UK comic industry - a fairly close one, but I'm not as knowledgeable as many here - and wondered how common it is for a major British book publisher to bring out a graphic novel (or comic album/book - depending on your preferred term) that is new, ie. not a reprint or collection.

Does it happen pretty often, or is it a rare event? Is the UK comics-as-books market almost all reprint? (If you know me and my work you'll probably understand my reason for asking.)

Really appreciate any answers and views on the market.

Best - Garen

Lew Stringer

Re: New British graphic novels/comics

Post by Lew Stringer »

It's fairly rare I think Garen, and I'm sure your excellent book is a first for Egmont UK.

Knockabout have released several original books of course, including Hunt Emerson's Tale of the Ancient Mariner, Casanova, etc. And Classical Comics have their line of brand new British graphic novels.

As for a major publisher though, which is what you asked about, I think it's pretty rare. Bryan Talbot's Alice In Sunderland was the last one that comes to mind

(And if people here haven't seen it yet, Garen's fantastic graphic album The Rainbow Orchid is now out from Egmont UK. Who sez UK comics are dead?)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Juli ... 249&sr=8-1

Lew

Garen

Post by Garen »

:-) Cheers, Lew - I didn't want to appear as though I was advertising, but am genuinely interested to know if there's anything special about the book's release (still appreciate the plug!).

Perhaps I should have a good look through Steve Holland's past 'upcoming releases' posts and get some actual numbers. I'm very glad there's such a strong reprint industry (I've ordered both Bear Alley Books books and am living off Cinebook right now), but new work must reflect the health of the scene to some degree.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I've often wondered why Egmont UK haven't ventured into the European-style album format before now, given that Egmont in other countries do such books all the time. Perhaps they were waiting for something they considered to have international appeal, such as your book? (Assuming they're doing international editions?) Odd that Egmont publish Nemi in Norway, but it was left to Titan Books here to pick it up.

I bought my copy of Rainbow Orchid a few days ago by the way. I'll plug it on my blog when I've read it.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Garen

Post by Garen »

Egmont have World English Language rights only. There has been interest from other countries, but I think they're waiting for all three parts to be completed first.

The division of Egmont I'm with (Egmont Publishing) mainly do the licensed books (Rupert Bear, Thomas the Tank Engine, Tintin, Ben 10), so it does feel slightly unusual (but nice!).
Last edited by Garen on 02 Aug 2009, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I will be buying this when I get paid in a few days, it looks great I've been checking out the website for quite a while now.
Nice one Garen I'm sure it will be a massive success if it isn't already.

Garen

Post by Garen »

Thanks very much, steelclaw. I'm nervously hoping it will be successful, even modestly successful will do!

tony o donnell

Post by tony o donnell »

I had planned to give The Rainbow Orchid's publication a mention on this site..but I have recently moved house and lost track of time.
I am a huge admirer of what you have achieved with your excellent work on this book but it is great that it is being published by Egmont.
It is scary to realize that it was about 13 - 14 years ago that you enabled me to meet a tight deadline by helping me out on an educational text book called Medieval Realms. I was very impressed with your work from the start, it was creative,individual and had great style and you had an intuitive gift for composition and story telling. It is great to see all of this potential realised within the pages of The Rainbow Orchid.
Well done Garen.

Garen

Post by Garen »

Thanks so much, Tony. Yes, that was a pretty scary number of years ago when you count them out! I learnt a lot about clarity of image doing that work with you - and I'm very grateful for the experience it gave me.

Hope you're doing well.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Just bought my copy of 'The Rainbow Orchid' Volume one, I'm looking forward to reading it in the next few days.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I've read it I really enjoyed it, when's Volume 2 coming out?
Great value as well got mine from Amazon.

Nigel Auchterlounie

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

There's blank slate books too Garen, as well you know, having first suggested them to me. (Thanks again)
They may have just started, but they've done really well with "trains are mint", and look to do well with "proper go well high"
They also do English translations too.

Like I say they've just started so here's hoping they don't screw it up with whatever they come out with next. :wink:

Garen

Post by Garen »

Speaking of which - when is Kenny bringing out Spleenal?

Nigel Auchterlounie

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

It's going to be about 4 weeks! :)

Colin M

Post by Colin M »

Certainly hoping that Rainbow Orchid is the success it deserves to be and ushers in a new era for original British GN's - I'm still wearing the T-shirt Garen so doing my bit!

Through our own 'Accent UK' branding we've published a fair few (mainly anthology) titles ourselves with several enjoying US distribution but, so far, we've not made any real headway in bookstores which is where the real audiences lie so I think Egmont's actions should be applauded and may well help others.

Nigel, although new to these boards, I seems to recongise your name, are you the chap that did that rather fine 'GONE' book a couple of years ago? That was a great example of a British graphic novel albeit an independent, low distribution one.

Colin M