New Dennis TV Series

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

New Dennis TV Series

Post by AndyB »

Thought I'd spin this off separately rather than clogging up a single topic!

The first episode is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/cbbc/episo ... _of_DenDo/ - looks good, and a couple of Muttleyish moments (everything but the helicopter and the medals) from Gnasher.

Digifiend

Re: New Dennis TV Series

Post by Digifiend »

By normal iPlayer rules, that link should be good for 7 days after it's repeated tomorrow morning. However...
Available since yesterday with 18 days left
says the programme info page - that doesn't sound right, since it didn't air yesterday. Either it was put on iPlayer early, or that's the wrong info.

Repeat heads-up - if you don't want to use iPlayer, there's a repeat of the first two episodes on 12 September at 7am (double bill) on BBC2 in England and Scotland. For some reason Wales and NI have opted out on analogue. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mr0k ... s/upcoming

intune

Post by intune »

So did you watch? What did you think?

I was pleased to see the 'gang' on TV. It looked really good and enjoyed the episode.

The one thing that I wasnt so keen on was the voices of Dennis and Pie Face. Being a Northerner I've no problem with their Northern accents, they just seem too high pitched.

I know animators always tend to use women for the voice of young cartoon lads, ie Bart Simpson, but I think Dennis and Pie Face sound too girly.
I did like Walters voice, I thought he was going to be camp, but they've made him sound like a geeky school swot.

Did you notice the show was actually produced by Channel Nine in Australia? Seems very random.
It was also a 'Beano' production (or something like that) - Have DCT established a TV production company?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

intune wrote:Dennis and Pie Face sound too girly.
I noticed the top credit in the voice artists was ex-Doctor Who companion Sophie Aldred so you could be onto something there. :wink:

Good animation, lively pace, although it was a bit odd seeing Walter picking on Dennis.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

I loved it. I didn't mind the voices as the sounded a little like the earlier series which I did like.

Walter has changed (character-wise) from a 'Softy' to a 'Swotty' (very much like the 'Swotty' in Brassneck back in the 70s). Maybe people in control thought that if he was 'too gay', then there may have been objections.

The story was funny too.

As I said, I loved it.
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:I noticed the top credit in the voice artists was ex-Doctor Who companion Sophie Aldred
who is no stranger to kids TV, having played Minnie the Mini Magician in CITV's Zzzap! series 8-10 in 1999-2001.

ComicCrazy

Post by ComicCrazy »

I seen the episode today. It was quite good. I wonder why they never use Rasher as a character?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It's only been 2 episodes so far! Although if I understand correctly, he's been dropped.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

The BBC would have difficulty commisoning a programme about a bully (which is what Dennis was in the old comics, to Walter anyway) so they make Walter a swot so kids can relate to him. Strange thing about channel 9, perhaps they were just the money behind the project, I was under the impression Red Kite were the producers?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Red Kite are the animators, the production company.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

BBC programmes are usually available for seven days from the FIRST showing, not the second.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wrong, it's seven days after ANY showing. Therefore when its repeated, the countdown goes back to 7 days again. That still doesn't explain why it already said from yesterday on the day of the first broadcast.

tbuk

Post by tbuk »

Dennis & Gnasher is part of the "series catch-up" scheme on iplayer, which means that all episodes of a series are available until 7 days after the showing of the last episode. Other shows that do this currently are shows like Shooting Stars and Dragon's Den - not usually done with CBBC stuff due to the frequency of repeats and I believe Dennis & Gnasher is some of the first children's output to receive this treatment

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You do know D&G has 52 episodes, so the series will last a lot longer than 18 days.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

intune wrote:So did you watch? What did you think?
After all the excitement raised on this thread, I thought I'd better give this new series the onceover. I watched the first two episodes yesterday back to back on the iPlayer. My expectations were pretty low, so I was pleasantly surprised by the production. It was neat and tidy, with each story well balanced across its fifteen minutes. However, I would imagine that a fair amount of the language and certain bits of the story will have been over the heads of the younger viewers, but visually it worked well enough. I just might watch some more, and from me that's praise!