What Comic Would You Like Out There?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ramirez

Re: What Comic Would You Like Out There?

Post by ramirez »

Thanks steelclaw, that 's what I meant, and thought so too.

Since I haven 't read the "Return of the Claw" (well I think I haven 't) from the 1971-73 Valiant era, are the images that you 've posted relevant to the story? I presume they were drawn by Leach, but I was just wondering if they have to do with the '70s "Return of the Claw" story arc...

Raven

Post by Raven »

One long serial in Return of the Claw is about a gang of eight year old boys who've been taken over by radio waves beamed at the earth by aliens, so they can build a 'reception centre' to pave the way for an invasion. The kid in that image is one of them.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:One long serial in Return of the Claw is about a gang of eight year old boys who've been taken over by radio waves beamed at the earth by aliens, so they can build a 'reception centre' to pave the way for an invasion.
There is a DC Thomson serial with a remarkably similar basic scenario. It is called The Frightening Fours and it appears in Judy late in 1979. Affected by a series of dark clouds, four-year-olds are taken over by the Dark Master and given sufficient strength and knowledge to enable them to overcome everybody older. The adults are imprisoned and the older children are forced to build machines to destroy the world's oxygen so that the alien race can breathe when it takes over the planet. Although hundreds of these machines are built, they are linked together. A small guerrilla group of older children realise that to destroy just one will be sufficient.

Raven

Post by Raven »

phoenix4ever wrote:There is a DC Thomson serial with a remarkably similar basic scenario. It is called The Frightening Fours and it appears in Judy late in 1979. Affected by a series of dark clouds, four-year-olds are taken over by the Dark Master and given sufficient strength and knowledge to enable them to overcome everybody older. The adults are imprisoned and the older children are forced to build machines to destroy the world's oxygen so that the alien race can breathe when it takes over the planet ...

... which in itself also sounds like a blend of Quatermass II and The Midwich Cuckoos/its film adaptation Village of the Damned.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

ramirez wrote:Thanks steelclaw, that 's what I meant, and thought so too.

Since I haven 't read the "Return of the Claw" (well I think I haven 't) from the 1971-73 Valiant era, are the images that you 've posted relevant to the story? I presume they were drawn by Leach, but I was just wondering if they have to do with the '70s "Return of the Claw" story arc...
Sorry I don't know, I only have a few 1973 Valiants with 'Return of the Claw' in, and I don't recall seeing those pictures in the strips, but it is possible they are, maybe they would be in the 1971 right at the beginning if they were.

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

steelclaw wrote:I would like to see a comic with the mix of 'Thunder' 'Jet' & 70's Knockout.
40 Pages, Lion Size and costing 75p.
Agreed, especially if you throw in a little 'Lion' and 'Valiant' in too.

Plus include Dan Dare and Roy of the Rovers. ;)
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I'd love to see ANY new DC Thomson or Egmont/IPC weekly 'adventure' comic.

Even if Egmont were to launch a monthly Classic Comics along the lines of the DC Thomson one at present I would be happy ... as long as it had a 50/50 split of adventure and humour strips.

Might be one way to get round the criticism of publishing one-shots with continuing storylines that they have done so far with Battle and Roy of the Rovers....

On a related note, does anyone know how these specials are selling? Guess they'll have to do well if Egmont are to be inspired to continue the series or develop something else along the lines of my suggestion above...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Something like Buddy? Billy the Cat and General Jumbo both later proved popular enough for the Beano annual but not the weekly comic (Jumbo's appeared once and Billy has had three short runs). The reason being that the comic is a humour title. If the adventure strips had their own title... you could throw in The Comet (Dandy early 2000s), Iron Fish, and a couple of new stories, with each story being maybe six pages.
Last edited by Digifiend on 12 Sep 2009, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I think that idea would work well. When Billy the Cat returned to the Beano in 2003, I largely ignored the strip. Partly, I think this was affected because some characters such as Little Plum and the Numskulls were left on the sidelines in a few issues of out of the six week run. I think I've been able to appreciate the later series a bit more - Billy's recent return has been good, though it would be better if it got at least two pages. I believe the serial element is always a good thing for adventure strips.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

My sons (11 and 9) both said exactly the same thing about the most recent Billy The Cat run... "it only just gets going and then it finishes!" Think if they want to 'hook' kids into a serial so that they 'must get next week's issue' they gotta at least make each episode involved enough to draw their attention.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

(Sorry for responding two years late to the party, but it's such a good topic!)

I'd love to see a manufactured DC Thompson/Fleetway "rivalry" pairing, like Whizzer & Chips, only more like "Classics From The Comics & Big Fortnightly" (with a better title, obviously). Or perhaps both of those comics, in "comic library" format. The Buster comic libraries were/are great for train journeys and the like, where you don't have much personal space.

Or how about like how the American companies put out anthologies of one particular artist?
-"Ken Reid's Creepy Comics"
-"Leo Baxendale's Insane Comics"
-"David Law's Wild Comics"
-"Tom Paterson's Impeccable Comics"
...and so on.

I'd also like to see a Beano COMPLETELY done by Mike Pearse - the man's a genius!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

An all-Pearse Beano? It's been done, several times.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

All Pearse Beano sounds interesting. Do you happen to know which issues I may have them and I want to give them a read.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Don't have numbers, but:

Sometime in 1999: It's a Funny Old Game, reprinted in the 2009 BSK annual
Christmas 1999: The Bash Street Nativity Play, reprinted in 2006 Christmas issue
April(?) 2000: Finders Keepers, reprinted in 2010 BSK annual
Halloween 2000: Nightmare on Bash Street, unreprinted in annuals/comics but given away in mini-comic with BeanoMax a few years ago (that's as much as I remember - possibly wrong)
Dennis's 50th birthday issue 2001: Reprinted in The Beano and The Dandy Celebrate Dennis the Menace, and in the "special personalised story set around your own birthday" currently being sold at gonedigging.com

As you can see, they're rather handy material for recycling.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Unfortunately all those issues are just before I started getting the Beano apart from maybe the Dennis' 50th one.