Name that Spooky Artist [NAMED!]

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

fústar

Name that Spooky Artist [NAMED!]

Post by fústar »

Can anyone identify the artist behind the below pics? He/She was responsible for much of the spooky/Gothic/unsettling stuff that filled the pages of Bunty, Debbie et al. His/Her work has remained lodged in the fear centres of my mind for over 20 years.

Last edited by fústar on 13 Nov 2009, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Re: Name that Spooky Artist

Post by Digifiend »

What stories are those pics from?

fústar

Post by fústar »

Digifiend wrote:What stories are those pics from?
Both 1 off stories from Bunty annuals. First image is from "The Forbidden Doll: A Tale from the Toy Museum" (1988). Second is from "The Girl Who Came Back!" (1986).

One of the most distinctive things about his/her style was the way he/she drew eyes. Tiny dots in a sea of white. Quite eerie. There's something very "European" about the style, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that he/she was French, Spanish or whatever.

Another blurry example below. From "The Shop at Shudder Corner" (Debbie for Girls, 1981).

fústar

Post by fústar »

Another trademark. Long angular faces and hooded eyes.

Ringing any bells?

fústar

Post by fústar »

Ah. come on folks. I'm disappointed! Down a couple of pints of nerd-juice and put your brains to serious work. I believe in you.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I agree that the style in question is instantly recognizable Fustar - the only problem is I can't put a name to the artist either. I suspect that Kashgar is the only one who'll know the answer, but he seems to be taking a sabbatical from Comics UK just at the moment.

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Maybe Ray's on holiday? He doesn't have any obligation to tell us these things.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Digifiend wrote:Maybe Ray's on holiday? He doesn't have any obligation to tell us these things.
Huh! Hasn't he heard the famous dictum that "with great knowledge comes great responsibility'? :wink: (Seriously, I hope he's having a great time - he's certainly earned a break after all the artistic mysteries he's been able to clear up for us in the past! )

As for Fustar's mysterious 'Spooky Artist', on second thoughts it occurs to me that it might actually be Gordon (and possibly Maureen) Gray. :)

- Phil Rushton

fústar

Post by fústar »

Going on holiday when vital questions like these need answering is indulgent selfishness of the worst kind. Boo!

As for Gordon & Maureen Gray. Anyone got any scans of their Look In (etc) work to contrast and compare with above? Or was the suggestion made in jest...?

Still have a feeling artist will turn out not to be British. Got a couple of Diana annuals today and there he/she was again. In spades. Here's a quick sample.

And another:

Fabulous stuff.

fústar

Post by fústar »

Just to keep you posted on guesses I've had so far elsewhere. The following have been suggested: Paul Neary, John Stokes, Posy Simmonds.

Not convinced!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm pretty sure it's none of those Fustar - and on reflection I don't think it's the Grays either unfortunately, though it was a serious suggestion. Here's an example of their work (with a bit of 'help' from Frank Bellamy! ) as seen in DC Thomson's TV Tops:

Phil Rushton

fústar

Post by fústar »

Definitely some superficial similarities, Phil, but we haven't won the cigar yet.

That Adam Ant strip is pretty damn fantastic though (as it says on the tin). I'm very fond of that pale and subtle colouring, with large areas left white. Very 70s/early-80s but very lovely. Did the Adam story run for a while or was it a single shot?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The old 'Dandy Highwayman' ran for a while in TV Tops until his strip was replaced by Buck Rogers. Here's another rather weird episode in which he literally kicks Death in the face:

(Incidentally I always thought it was a shame they appeared in different comics as I'd have really loved to see a team-up of Adam Ant and Adam Adamant! :) )

As for 'Spooky', s/he was also represented in TV Tops. In fact it was looking at the strip below which convinced me that the Gray's style wasn't sufficiently similar; Spooky is just so distinctive that every single panel is always utterly unmistakable.

- Phil Rushton

fústar

Post by fústar »

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Adam Ant strip was/is the single greatest achievement in comic history. Who wrote it? It's either the work of a lunatic or a wild comic genius.

The Grays guess is still a good one. I've been searching around for some of their other stuff and it's as close as anything else I've seen. But, as you correctly point out, 'Spooky' is so distinctive that it's easy to rule out dozens of artists straight away. There's a slight hint of Ian Gibson in there somewhere. Something about the sorrowful looking faces.

The quest for an answer continues...

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

Can't help with the artist, but I agree about the Adam Ant strip. That is how comic are supposed to be. Great art, so much story on one page, realism, great ideas, fun... just beautiful. Thanks for posting it.