Roy of the Rovers, Battle, Misty and Buster back on shelves

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

PaulTwist

Re: Roy of the Rovers, Battle, Misty and Buster back on shelves

Post by PaulTwist »

My local WH Smith had many copies today, racked with 2000AD/Megazine/Marvel/DC stuff. Could be that some only put them out today (Thursday) so if Wednesday was fruitless it might be worth checking again.

bustercomic

Post by bustercomic »

Lew Stringer wrote:I hope they do well as it might encourage them to do new comics (or more reprint) but I'm not sure who these specials are aimed at. There aren't enough hard core enthusiasts of those titles to make them viable, and the continued strips (with no "next week" to ever appear) will frustrate younger readers. I can only assume they're aimed at the general public 30-somethings who might remember the comics of their youth.... assuming those same 30-somethings, who have long abandoned comics, actually bother to look at the comic section these days to notice them!

Lew
From what I gather, Lew, they are pushing towards the readers remembering their youth, but the downside is trying to get there attention. I can't say I've really looked, but after the publicity around the first release I wonder if so many people now remember about Battle's release.

That said, I've had some good comments from those reminiscing.....our kinds of nostalgia websites are probably a good way of pushing people towards the comic - but again, it's making sure the people who read about it today remember about it on the 16th September.

No easy task that!
http://www.bustercomic.co.uk - The World's Most Comprehensive Buster Website

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

bustercomic wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:I hope they do well as it might encourage them to do new comics (or more reprint) but I'm not sure who these specials are aimed at. There aren't enough hard core enthusiasts of those titles to make them viable, and the continued strips (with no "next week" to ever appear) will frustrate younger readers. I can only assume they're aimed at the general public 30-somethings who might remember the comics of their youth.... assuming those same 30-somethings, who have long abandoned comics, actually bother to look at the comic section these days to notice them!

Lew
From what I gather, Lew, they are pushing towards the readers remembering their youth, but the downside is trying to get there attention. I can't say I've really looked, but after the publicity around the first release I wonder if so many people now remember about Battle's release.

That said, I've had some good comments from those reminiscing.....our kinds of nostalgia websites are probably a good way of pushing people towards the comic - but again, it's making sure the people who read about it today remember about it on the 16th September.

No easy task that!
I've just picked up my copy. I share Lew's bafflement at the use of continued stories, I have to say-the D-Day Dawson and Major Eazy ones are nicely self contained, surely it would have made more sense to go for all complete stories even if it meant less different strips overall?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

tony ingram wrote:I share Lew's bafflement at the use of continued stories, I have to say-the D-Day Dawson and Major Eazy ones are nicely self contained, surely it would have made more sense to go for all complete stories even if it meant less different strips overall?
Or just run the final chapters of a serial so readers know how it ended.

Lew

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I'm going to apply for a job at Egmont and sort them out, even with my little knowledge I'm sure I could have done it better.
I'm only a short walk from there office.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They should learn from Classics from the Comics. Last month they ran the first episode from a V for Vengeance series, then this month, the final part. Likewise, the Beano/Dandy 70 Years Crazy About Creatures book last year included the first and last parts of Our Teacher's a Walrus. Better to get the beginning and end rather than some random middle section. Seems Thomsons have the right attitude, unlike Egmont.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Can't say I disagree Digi the use of contonued strips ina one off is strange to say the least, but at present thats what it is a one off so next issue )unlike Classics) to continue the strip I'm afraid.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I also cited a 70 years book - the Battle special should've included the first and last episodes of a story - since there is only one issue, these could be at different points in the comic, or could be part 1 with the final part on the very next page, which is what Crazy About Creatures did. Classics used a next issue conclusion, but the point was that they used the first and last parts instead of random parts, not when they appeared.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Maybe it's not for people to read, but just to look at and think ohhhhh I used to buy this years ago, that's buy it for old times sake.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Yeah I think your right on that one Steelclaw - I think it's just a nostalgia special edition (like a football mag etc) and not meant as anyrthing else - after all it's only a few old comic strips really nothing that serious or deep (still hope they are all a success and we get a new comic in the UK out of these specials)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, I've mentioned before that I'd like to see a IPC/Fleetway version of Classics from the Comics. If these specials are a success, maybe Egmont will launch such a publication.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Lets hope that happends Digi' it would be good to see a regular new or reprint book on the racks again.

HUGH

Post by HUGH »

The Belfast WH Smith had the Buster special in stock today - had three copies left after I bought one.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I wondered who had bought the second copy ;)