Eastward Ho at D C Thomson?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Has anyone else heard rumours that D C Thomson are going to be cutting back on UK-originated strips in favour of work produced by cheaper East European artists?

- Phil R.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Hasn't that been the case for over forty years or more?

:?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

DCT have dipped into foreign talent (such as the artists on Jumbo and Billy the Cat in last year's Action Special), but the tendency is still for British artists, or in the case of Steve Horrocks, British born, as far as I can see!

kevf

Post by kevf »

Where did this rumour come from? I only know of two DC Thomson comics, the Beano and The Dandy, and as far as I know every single writer and artist is British, with the majority still being Scottish.

Though since that Scots total includes me, and no-one but no-one believes I'm Scottish (hiya Stevie), even with me supporting Trinidad and Tobago with a volume that would have made you believe I was actually interested in football last night (gutted, we was robbed by the way), maybe it's not as proud a boast as it once was.

Whatever, who started this rumour? Gimme facts.

Kev F (still, for as long as he can cling on, Out Of The Beano)
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

This supposedly came from a DCT editor, though it reached me second-hand so I can't vouch for its authenticity. Apparently a 'certain artist' was originally promised work, only to be told this week that he wouldn't be used after all because of a general decision to shift towards employing cheaper artists from countries like Poland in future. Even if it's true I don't know whether this relates to humourous strips or 'Commando-style' action/adventure art, and I doubt it would affect established artists anyway.

All the Best, Phil R.