Spurs to finish in the top four.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Spurs to finish in the top four.

Post by steelclaw »

I think they could just do it with defoe scoring(Except against Villa today)

COME ON YOU SPURS.

Nice one cyril Nice one son nice one cyril that's have another one.

Good old Jimmy

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Spurs to finish in the top four.

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote: Nice one cyril Nice one son nice one cyril that's have another one.
As I recall, steelclaw, it was let's have another one. I'm not going to let you get one over on me twice, or should that be two over on me once, in any one twenty-four hour period. :D

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I haven't played it for so long I forgot the complicated lyrics :)

Nice One Cyril by THE COCKERAL CHORUS

Nice one Cyril
Nice one son
Nice one Cyril
Let's have another one

White Hart Lane is the gorund
For the best team around
And to see them just fills you with wonder
So we'll sing them along
With a Spurs football song
Tottenham Hotspur,
The pride of North London

Nice one Cyril
Nice one son
Nice one Cyril
Let's have another one........repeat

Pat to Terry to John
mike to Gillie nods on
Ray to Stevie to Martin to Jim
Ralph to Cyril then back
Spurs are on the attack
Come on lads not another one yeah

Nice one Cyril
Nice one son
Nice one Cyril

Super Spurs you can win
Every game you are in
And you know we'll support you forever
From the terrace and stand
Every Spurs loving man
Raise your voices & sing altogether

Nice one Cyril
Nice one son
Nice one Cyril

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

That side that won the double in 1961 was just brilliant. I've actually got that photograph in Phil Soar's Tottenham Hotspur - The Official Illustrated History 1882-1996. I saw them in the league several times that season, and I was also at Villa Park for the FA Cup semi-final to witness their 3-0 demolition of Burnley, who had won the league the previous year. Later that year I met Cliff Jones and Mel Hopkins (he was a genuine fun guy) because they were in the Welsh party led by Manchester United's assistant manager, Jimmy Murphy, that went to Madrid to play Spain in a World Cup qualifier at the Bernabeu, which they were a bit unfortunate to lose. I was the team's interpreter for the week so I got to know most of the squad quite well, players like Jack Kelsey of Arsenal, Mel Charles and Graham Williams of Swansea, Vic Crowe of Aston Villa and Ken Leek, the Birmingham City centre forward. On the day of the match I was persuaded by the captain Phil Woosnam of West Ham to sell as many of the squad's remaining complimentary seat tickets as possible outside the ground for as much as I could get, in order to boost the players' pool for communal requirements like food, beer, entrance fees to swimming pools etc. As the match wasn't a sell-out I used my initiative and managed to sell a good number at a bit below cost. People were not suspicious once they saw the Spanish word for Complimentary printed on the tickets, and heard my truthful explanation as to why I was selling them, and all those who bought will certainly not have believed in advance just what a fantastic viewing position they were paying for.

Mind you, not all Spurs teams have been fit to wear the shirt. I have very fond memories of a 4th Round League Cup game at Burnden Park on a dank November evening in 1996. Spurs had finished eighth in the Premiership the previous season and Bolton had been relegated. Sheringham opened the scoring on 12 minutes direct from a free kick. I thought, Now for the deluge. Well the deluge duly happened, but it was the other way round. Bolton slammed in six without reply and should have been awarded a seventh in injury time. Scott Sellars took an inswinging corner and the ball was nearly two feet over the line when the Spurs goalie scooped it out, the officials didn't see it, or maybe they did and felt sorry for such effete southerners, and play continued. TV footage confirmed that the goal should have been awarded, but I just loved the black humour of the many Spurs supporters behind that Railway Embankment goal, who immediately started chanting, It was in, It was in, It was in, It was in, It was in, It was i-in etc. You'll know the tune. If it's any consolation, the Wanderers got promoted as champions at the end of that same season.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Phoenix that's some story, I envy you seeing the Spurs double winning side, I didn't get to my first match until Spurs - 2 v 0- Chelsea April 1975.

The players were fairly poor in those days, 1961 when Jimmy Hill helped get rid of the £20 mininmum wage.

Did you collect any autographs or take any pictures at the time?

Sounds like the goal Spurs scored against Manchester United that wasn't given when it was clearly miles over the line in 2005.

Effete southerners 'tut' half the team wern't even english. :?

Your Phil Soar's Tottenham Hotspur - The Official Illustrated History 1882-1996 has an extra year on my 1982-1995. :D

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I think Spurs have a chance of making the top four - I believe more of a chance than Villa, but I would say less of a chance than Man City. I still think Liverpool are the favourites, but that's easy to say as a Reds fan! The one problem I think you have is that you're not consistent enough and sometimes fail to break down teams at home, such as in the Wolves and Stoke games. However, you do have the prolific Defoe who should be in England's starting line up in South Africa alongside Rooney on current form (with Crouch on the bench - I wish we hadn't sold him, he would have been useful in a Liverpool shirt this season).
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote: Did you collect any autographs or take any pictures at the time?
Three pics to start with. First the cover of my Spurs history. On the front flap of the dustwrapper it says, This fully revised and updated edition of the club's official history takes the story up to the end of the dramatic 1995-96 season, chronicling the arrival at White Hart Lane of Chris Armstrong and Ruel Fox. £17.99. The first of the photographs shows Jimmy Murphy instructing his lads in the various methods they might use to stick one up those dancing, prancing Spaniards. The ground is a natural dell called the Estadio Metropolitano in the Cuatro Caminos district of Madrid. At the time it was Atletico Madrid's stadium, which they released to Wales for training purposes. Some years later Atletico relocated to their current ground. The other photo shows from left to right, standing, Jimmy Murphy, Len Allchurch and Ken Leek, who kindly posed for me. The seated figure to the left is Vic Crowe, who had clearly decided it was far too hot to get off his cheeks, even for me. I'll try and find my ticket, which pretty well everybody signed on the back, and I may even still have the programme for that semi-final.
Attachments
spurshist.jpg
wales2.jpg
wales1.jpg

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Cool picutres, I like the Dandy Ad in the background.

Jonny Whizz
Now Liverpool are back on some sort of form and Man City have 2 games in hand I think Spurs are going to be lucky to finish in the top six.

My spurs book.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I think Spurs have a chance of making the top four - I believe more of a chance than Villa, but I would say less of a chance than Man City.
Yeah, Man City couldn't even beat Hull! :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:Cool picutres, I like the Dandy Ad in the background.
Needless to say, steelclaw, it isn't an advert for The Dandy. In fact the word dandy doesn't even exist in Spanish so it has clearly been borrowed from English, and then used to evoke a Beau Brummell appearance. The word varon means male, but with something of a sexual underpinning of manliness and virility. To the right of what you can see, the advert continues with masaje de Parera, which means (Mr) Parera's massage parlour. This was not intended to be a front for a brothel as it might be today. It was just what it says. There was no public relaxation from the strict Catholic regulations on morality that were imposed by the (illegal) regime of General Franco until he died in 1975. There was some undercover activity of that type all the time, of course, as there would be anywhere, but you can rest assured that people would not have been alerted to it by an advertising panel at a national football ground.

I don't have the programme for that Spurs v Burnley semi-final, but I do have my ticket, which I post below. I think they took the stub and left me with the main body of the ticket. I will post both sides of the Bernabeu ticket when I find it. I have put it somewhere safe, an excessive precaution it would seem.
Attachments
semi61ticket.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:the Welsh party went to Madrid to play Spain in a World Cup qualifier at the Bernabeu, which they were a bit unfortunate to lose.
No wonder I thought they were unlucky to lose. They didn't. It was a 1-1 draw. The result must have been too late for inclusion in the Sunday Chronicle Football Annual for the 1961-62 season, and irrelevant as far as the one for the 1962-63 was concerned. I only found the result by chance last night in a list of matches I saw at the Bernabeu towards the end of that season, while I was looking for the ticket for the match.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Phoenix wrote:
steelclaw wrote:Cool picutres, I like the Dandy Ad in the background.
Needless to say, steelclaw, it isn't an advert for The Dandy. In fact the word dandy doesn't even exist in Spanish so it has clearly been borrowed from English, and then used to evoke a Beau Brummell appearance. The word varon means male, but with something of a sexual underpinning of manliness and virility. To the right of what you can see, the advert continues with masaje de Parera, which means (Mr) Parera's massage parlour. This was not intended to be a front for a brothel as it might be today. It was just what it says. There was no public relaxation from the strict Catholic regulations on morality that were imposed by the (illegal) regime of General Franco until he died in 1975. There was some undercover activity of that type all the time, of course, as there would be anywhere, but you can rest assured that people would not have been alerted to it by an advertising panel at a national football ground.

I don't have the programme for that Spurs v Burnley semi-final, but I do have my ticket, which I post below. I think they took the stub and left me with the main body of the ticket. I will post both sides of the Bernabeu ticket when I find it. I have put it somewhere safe, an excessive precaution it would seem.
I gathered it wasn't really for the Dandy comic :)

That ticket I reckon would sell for up to £100 or more to a Spurs nut.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Perhaps I'll auction it off on eBay with a £100 reserve then. Hazel Nut and her seven sisters could start the ball rolling.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I don't have the programme for that Spurs v Burnley semi-final
As is often the case with me, steelclaw, I find things when I am searching for something else. This programme resurfaced this afternoon. I really must get myself more organized. I'm still looking for the Bernabeu ticket, the one certainty being that I will not have thrown it away. Keep the faith.
Attachments
spurs61semiprog.jpg

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Great programme.

And Spurs are still hanging in thier in the top four :lol:

My earlist programme is only Spurs v Everton(Aug 1967 Div 1)
as you can see not a very early one I didn't go to the match I was to young.