Spurs to finish in the top four.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Spurs to finish in the top four.

Post by steelclaw »

Phew,
1-0 to Spurs, never mind Phoenix at least Bolton are still in the premier,
I have a feeling Spurs won't finish 4th us Spurs fans are used to disappointments.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I listened to the match reports on Radio Manchester, steelclaw. Spurs were the better side but at times needed Gomes to perform some heroics. One really has to question Redknapp's judgement given that he was hell-bent on selling him on in his early days at the club. What a bad move that would have been!! You'll be satisfied that Wilshere didn't score and I'm content that we didn't get the sort of working over that we got from Chelsea earlier in the season (4-0 twice in one week!!). Apparently Huddlestone's goal was something special too. I shall watch it on Match of the Day.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This is the ticket I originally bought, steelclaw, for the World Cup qualifier between Spain and Wales at the Bernabeu in May 1961. It was for what in England would probably have been called the Upper Paddock, i.e. standing, but down one side of the pitch, one or two tiers up. I clearly didn't use it because the counterfoil is still attached to it. Obviously I used one of the complimentary seat tickets that Phil Woosnam gave me. It would be nice to think that this find is getting me closer to the signed ticket that is somewhere in my house but unfortunately I have just recently unearthed it in the family home. I must have given it to my younger brother at the time as he was beginning to get seriously interested in European football. Not to worry, we should get there in the end.
Attachments
spainwalesticket61.jpg

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Phoenix that's a very nice colourful ticket, Do you have a big house full of hidden treasures?
I think Redknapp's judgement on Gomez has been brilliant he stuck by him even when he had some very daft howlers in the beginning, I'm sure a lot of Spurs fans wanted to get rid of him as well, Good old Harry has also stuck by Bentley and Pavlyuchenko over the last few months when it looked like it was over for them and have now come up trumps.
A win against Man City and Spurs will be only 2 points behind A******
Phoenix wrote:You give the impression that you have always been a Tottenham supporter and always will be. That is exactly as it should be. We are kindred spirits, as Anne of Green Gables used to say.
Phoenix Yes I've always been a Spurs fan since around 1967 when Spurs beat Chelsea 2-1 In the cup final, all I remember about it was the excitement in my house at the time and I don't recall watching it, My Gran supported Spurs she told me her dad played for Spurs in the 1930's(Actually I think he may have played one game for the reserves) so that's the reason why I support them now,although she lived closer to West Ham then Tottenham.
My dad was born nearer to Millwall then Totteham but supports Spurs, my mum was born fairly near Crystal Palace but supports Chelsea along with my Sister.
I was born in West Sussex but Spurs were the only team for me, I nearly supported Man U because of Georgie Best but soon saw the error of my ways.

No Gomez not his head the ball. :D
I'm glad I can laugh at it now.

Last edited by steelclaw on 04 May 2010, 00:56, edited 2 times in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:A win against Man City and Spurs will be only 2 points behind A******
If you had only been a bit more forthright, steelclaw, and written Arse*** or A***nal, we could have continued this chat on the diarrhoea thread. :D

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Phoenix wrote:
steelclaw wrote:A win against Man City and Spurs will be only 2 points behind A******
If you had only been a bit more forthright, steelclaw, and written Arse*** or A***nal, we could have continued this chat on the diarrhoea thread. :D
It's getting late I'm falling asleep. :D

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Listening to Man City v Spurs now (and watching Voyager - multi tasking is a cynch). Although I am a Millwall fan I do have a soft spot for Spurs as my mate Steve (fellow comic collector) is a fan (he grew up in Hackney). So hoping they can win. Also there is a degree of integrity among Spurs fans unlike Arsenal supporters who just seem to support the team with the fullest trophy cabinet. (but never sing at matches) Prawn sambwich brigade. I remember when Arsenal won the double in 1971 and everyone became a supporter overnight. Not a genuine supporter among them.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I'd much rather Spurs finish fourth than Manchester City.

I don't want City to do it because firstly they're from the same city as that awful bunch (you know which ones I mean, the ones who play in a kit with a black chevron) and it would be a victory for nothing but filthy lucre, although I must admit I do admire some of the players, especially Tevez.

On the other hand Spurs doing it would be a victory for good management and good players (although admittedly Spurs have spent quite a lot of money, just not as much as City have).
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Spurs have gone 1-0 up

4 Mins left COYS

Well done Spurs at last.

Hoorayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Well done to Spurs, I think they deserved it, they were the best of the teams challenging for fourth this season. I don't think I can tell steelclaw that his predictions aren't very accurate now as he made a great one when he started this thread!

City were brilliant on their day (against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge) but equally drew too many matches when Mark Hughes was manager and although they haven't lost many the fact they've lost to Hull (and drew at home to Burnley) suggests they're not quite there yet and they've lacked consistency.

I was never convinced Villa were going to do it - they don't have the strength in depth and they normally seem to run out of steam towards the end of the season as Martin O'Neill isn't one for squad rotation. Finally, my team, Liverpool, have been really bad this year and we were lucky to still be in with a chance until recently. We blew our chances and our form has been too closely linked to that of Torres, especially as Gerrard has been well below par this year.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:Listening to Man City v Spurs now (and watching Voyager - multi tasking is a cynch). Although I am a Millwall fan I do have a soft spot for Spurs as my mate Steve (fellow comic collector) is a fan (he grew up in Hackney). So hoping they can win. Also there is a degree of integrity among Spurs fans unlike Arsenal supporters who just seem to support the team with the fullest trophy cabinet. (but never sing at matches) Prawn sambwich brigade. I remember when Arsenal won the double in 1971 and everyone became a supporter overnight. Not a genuine supporter among them.
Yeah, I wonder how many so-called Tigers fans will dump them now they've been relegated? Used to be a lot of Man Utd, Leeds and Liverpool shirts around here - of course Chelsea would replace Leeds these days.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Used to be a lot of Man Utd, Leeds and Liverpool shirts around here
Aren't there a couple of those still in your house, Digi?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

My Dad was the Leeds supporter, he died a few years ago. And the only football shirt I have is an England one.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Come on Blackpool it would be nice to see them back in top league again.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:Come on Blackpool it would be nice to see them back in top league again.
They were obviously listening to you, steelclaw, and appreciated your support. I'm also delighted. Well done the Tangerines.