What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

alanultron5

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by alanultron5 »

GOD!!! The price I paid for those fliers! Sellers must love `Mon-Ell` and me! I also got (not on E.Bay but in W,Ton) the Sparky `Crack-Bang` 1966 free gift at £40. The `Crack` paper is in fine nick-but the bit where you hold it was worn quite a bit-but I have done some pretty good repairs & strengthening!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

alanultron5 wrote:The `Crack` paper is in fine nick-but the bit where you hold it was worn quite a bit-but I have done some pretty good repairs & strengthening!
I do hope you plan to keep it, Alan, because your repairs and strengthening have just lopped a good 50% off its value! :roll:

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:
alanultron5 wrote:The `Crack` paper is in fine nick-but the bit where you hold it was worn quite a bit-but I have done some pretty good repairs & strengthening!
I do hope you plan to keep it, Alan, because your repairs and strengthening have just lopped a good 50% off its value! :roll:
Have to agree with Derek Alan. The golden rule is never repair nowt.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes! I am keeping it! Bugger knocking value off! I have no intention of the thing coming apart at one long crack in the handle part! I got hold of the exact same form of cardboard and carefully gummed it on! Looks almost seamless to me-and it won't drop off now!

Some of the coloured paper had peeled off a bit-but was still all there albeit hanging off like a limp wrist! I carefully gummed it back on! You cannot tell at all with that `repair` I don't give a Dogs doings if so called value is affected! It looks far better to me-and i'm keeping it!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

"Good morning Mr Phelps. The man you are looking at is Alan Ultron. This man has in his possession a Sparky cracker type free gift. Unbeknown to him one of our agents secreted a microchip containing the code names of all secret service agents worldwide inside this gift before he was assassinated. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to retrieve the gift and destroy it completely. As usual should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed........"

If I was you i'd hide it where they'd never find it - like in the toaster.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Too late! I've eaten the bugger! :D :D :D :D :D

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Being a total fanboy and a massive Neal Adams fan, today (well Friday) I picked up the long awaited first issue of "Batman Odyssey" lovely looking stuff (story Mmmm read worse) and 11 more issues of this great art to go. I also picked up (free) a copy of the "Stool Pigeon" newspaper (not seen this for a while) a full cover picture of Alan Moore and large interview inside plus (suprisingly to me) about 7/8 pages full colour comics inside (indie type but some very good) - good pop reviews etc also so would recommend you pick it up (it is free) igf you see it.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Been a busy boy this afternoon.

I had purchased six issues of "Cheeky Weekly" I don't know what issue numbers they are, but I have the dates:

6/5/78
20/5/78
27/5/78
3/6/78
29/7/78
19/8/78

Paging Niblet ;)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Two other interesting American titles out this week - both with British content - are Weird World of Jack Staff no.3 (Brilliant!) and Marvelman Family's Finest no.1 (ermmmm...! )

- Phil Rushton

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman »

Some recent purchases, mainly from reading Lew's excellent blog. :)

Tiger Tim's Own Comic Collection
DC Thomson Firsts
The Golden Years of Adventure Stories
Derek The Sheep
Good Dog, Bad Dog
Billy & Buddy - Remember This, Buddy?

I'm still at the very early stages of finding out what I like/don't like at the moment, so I'm having a taste of everything.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

blaing wrote:Been a busy boy this afternoon.

I had purchased six issues of "Cheeky Weekly" I don't know what issue numbers they are, but I have the dates:

6/5/78
20/5/78
27/5/78
3/6/78
29/7/78
19/8/78

Paging Niblet ;)
Hee, hee - I love any excuse to fire up my database...

CHEEKY WEEKLY COVER DATE: 06-May-1978, Issue 29 of 117
CHEEKY WEEKLY COVER DATE: 20-May-1978, Issue 31 of 117
CHEEKY WEEKLY COVER DATE: 27-May-1978, Issue 32 of 117
CHEEKY WEEKLY COVER DATE: 03-Jun-1978, Issue 33 of 117
CHEEKY WEEKLY COVER DATE: 29-Jul-1978, Issue 41 of 117
CHEEKY WEEKLY COVER DATE: 19-Aug-1978, Issue 44 of 117

Enjoy your Cheekys!

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Phil- I couldn't agree with you more re Jack Staff love it I've been buying it since issue one when published by Paul Grists own "Dancing Elephant" imprint- IMHO one of the best and most underated comic out there and so influenced by 60s/70s UK comics/characters (espec Valiant, Lion, Thunder etc) I'm suprised that it seems to be generally ignored on this site to be honest. Wasn't to keen on the Marvelman comic so didnt pick it up, it looked very curious indeed with old reprints in a very modern cover and in B&W not sure why the didnt reprint an issue from Warrior or Eclipse (far more attraction to newer readers there and some great work) maybe its a copyright thing or something.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Niblet wrote:Enjoy your Cheekys!
I intend to :D

I had to get rid of my copies years ago, so it'll be the first time I've looked at a full issue since about 1982. :shock:

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Yesterday i got two 2000ad's (teeth?), and also more importantly a book containing a complete set of serials from Eagle called "Fraser of Africa", drawn by the legendary Frank Bellamy. It's softback in the style of European "comic albums" (like Tintin or Asterix) and appears to be from the 80's or 90's

Oh and also The Best of Battle from The Works for 3.99! That's virtual robbery! Still no cheap Charley's War in this particular branch, though. But i'm going to Lincoln at the end of the week so will investigate there.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I managed a nice haul yesterday. Picked up my Ebay winnings of 3 Victors (164, 166 and 257) and as I picked them up in person, I also picked up a few more that the seller had and I wanted. This was one Wizard from 1978, Warlord Summer Special 1976, Victor Summer Special 1991, Battle Summer Special 1990 (which was a whole 64 pages thick!) 2 more Victors (45 and 46), three Warlords and seven Rover and Adventures with lovely Ron Smith covers). Happy am I as it is the first time in months that I have filled in any Victor gaps! :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!