What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by steelclaw »

OK OK 256 Pages Image
As comics included the front and back cover in their count I was including those, well it is about comics.That's not fair not having those illustration pages unumbered. :cry:

Changing the subject.
How was the Gig at Shepherds Bush any good?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:How was the Gig at Shepherds Bush any good?
Yes, it was excellent. However, it will be better if I post my reaction on the Country Music thread in the Non-comics discussion forum. I'll do it tomorrow.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I actually got it on Tuesday (oh and also the 1905-6 volume of Chums on Wednesday), but i was reading bits of the British Boy's Annual 1910 the other day when i came to an article on ships. It mentions Lusitania as one of the fastest ships of the time and then a bit further down mentions another called Titanic as being one of the largest currently under construction!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Titanic was the largest ship of it's type when it sank wasn't it?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Digifiend wrote:Titanic was the largest ship of it's type when it sank wasn't it?
Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time of her launch, but she is dwarfed in comparison to the ships of today when you look at cruise liners that displace over 150,000 tonnes today (Titanic 46,300) and are 200 ft plus longer.

But back to the topic, I bought another 6 Victors, so that's a few more gaps filled and a little bit closer to that full run.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Digifiend wrote:Titanic was the largest ship of it's type when it sank wasn't it?
Yes, the book also mentions that Germany were planning a bigger ship. I wonder what became of that idea... perhaps cancelled in the wake of the Titanic disaster in the same way that several large building projects were cancelled after 9/11. I can remember two "millenium towers" that were being planned (with an amusing story as an aside*), one in London that was going to be around 350m tall and one in Tokyo that was to be 800m tall. The current tallest buildings in either city are rather shorter.

Anyway, on the actual subject:
2000AD
The Bumper book of Look and Learn (from a cheap shop... i'd forgot it even existed!)
the Sally Annual 1972
And from those foreign types:
Black Blizzard... a detective mystery with a lot of piano playing(??)

*-Apparently 'those' in London, when shown the design for the tower, asked "can't you make it shorter?" while thier counterparts in Tokyo asked "can't you make it taller?".

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I bought a few US comics at the weekend - Legends (3) by DC comics, excellent stuff old fashioned comics by Wein, Lopez and Gibbons (a UK connection at least) Iit also has a Joe Kubert back up. Its a great series for nostalgia buffs (a kinder way of saying "old gits" :) ) with some brilliant artists, writers on it (issue 1 was fantastic). I also bought Highland Laddie (the "Boys" spin off) definately for adults I only got it as it was about Scotland, not sure what to say about it its funny but IMHO, it tries a bit to hard to shock at time - the differnce betweent hese 2 comics says a lot about the state of the industry to me, not that Highland Laddie isn't good )its very well drawn and written) its just that its not that accessible and again no "magic" fo rthe kids here. Also got Classics what a great book thi sis (and Im not that interested in most of the material but its a great read)

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Never mind 'Spellbound' & 'Misty' I picked up this annual the other week, it's so scarey I can only read it during the day with the light on. :D

blaing

Post by blaing »

The latest purchases from e-bay

Jackpot Issues 64-69

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Just paying for a 1915-16 Chums volume. The first time i have got a full 'set' of papers from that war rather than just the odd single issue. Being from early in the war i expect the anti-German propaganda to be ramped up to hysterical levels. Ought to be an interesting read! Though i understand The Boys' Friend was the "best" at such things.

I also ought to be receiving a 1895-6 volume in the post fairly soon. But i'm still mainly an AP collector... honest!

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:Never mind 'Spellbound' & 'Misty' I picked up this annual the other week, it's so scarey I can only read it during the day with the light on. :D

That looks like a very good find, Steely. I see an artist's signature slipped through on the second story. Is the art that appealing throughout?

Raven

Post by Raven »

felneymike wrote:Just paying for a 1915-16 Chums volume. The first time i have got a full 'set' of papers from that war rather than just the odd single issue. Being from early in the war i expect the anti-German propaganda to be ramped up to hysterical levels. Ought to be an interesting read!

I saw a volume of Chums at a market the other day - from the Thirties, I think. The period illustrations were quite likeable (rather 1930s Beano adventure style), and it was very profusely illustrated. Packed with ripping yarns, too.

Does the fictional content of Chums have any literary merit, the way, say, Boy's Own Paper did publish some good writers and quality fiction, or does it tend to have the feel of being hacked out quickly with one eye on the clock?

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

[quote="steelclaw"]Never mind 'Spellbound' & 'Misty' I picked up this annual the other week, it's so scarey I can only read it during the day with the light on. :D

Oh yes, the June & School Friend Book of Strange Stories! I've got both of these (at least I think there were only two) - the 1972 edition and the 1974 one. I don't know why there wasn't one out in 1973! These are pretty good annuals with reprints of strange stories from the June and School Friend weeklies.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:
steelclaw wrote:Never mind 'Spellbound' & 'Misty' I picked up this annual the other week, it's so scarey I can only read it during the day with the light on. :D

That looks like a very good find, Steely. I see an artist's signature slipped through on the second story. Is the art that appealing throughout?
Raven the art is very appealing thoughtout,with 21 Different story strips from 2 pages to 5 pages it also has a few text stories not a bad find for £2.
The signature is Carlo Freixa does anyone know anything about him?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:The signature is Carlo Freixa does anyone know anything about him?
The mark at the end could be an s, steelclaw, which may be indicating that the artist's name is Carlos Freixas. The surname has a Catalan or Valencian feel to it.