Some 40s Dandy covers

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Some 40s Dandy covers

Post by stevezodiac »

I went over to my Mum's yesterday to finish off her home made trifle and then went to my old bedroom to fill up a couple of bags with comics from the bottom of the wardrobe. My oldest Dandys are from 1941 so I thought I'd share the covers with you. I don't possess a single 30s Beano or Dandy.

Peter Gray

Re: Some 40s Dandy covers

Post by Peter Gray »

I like that last gag! :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

"Bumper" Xmas Number? In 1946? Well the word bumper is meaningless there, as wartime paper rationing was still in force, so they couldn't have extra pages (it only has 12 if I'm not mistaken, whereas before the war, it would've been 28).

Anyway, thanks for posting these.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:"Bumper" Xmas Number? In 1946? Well the word bumper is meaningless there, as wartime paper rationing was still in force, so they couldn't have extra pages (it only has 12 if I'm not mistaken, whereas before the war, it would've been 28).

Anyway, thanks for posting these.
I think it's meant to suggest there's plenty of Christmas material inside. Bumper Christmas content if you will.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

But what does the word Bumper mean anyway? i have many more 40s Dandys but the images on tinypic are very small and I couldn't tell which ones I had already put on. I'll delete the ones from My Pictures that are already on here and then put some more on. These covers are almost never seen anywhere so its nice to provide a service. Have 40s Beanos as well.

steven

Post by steven »

Just noticed the word 'chink' on the 27-10-45 issue. I doubt that word would be used nowadays.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think that 'Bumper' in comics usually just means 'Extravaganza' or 'Celebration' of a particular subject, Steve. That's how I used to interpret it anyway. Great covers by the way, and good to see in such detail.

I'm afraid the world was awash with 'chink'-like references and much worse in 1945, Steven......in fact, there were much worse things could happen to you than being called a degrading name, which was the least of problems or worries for millions of folks, as I'm sure you're aware............ah, the Good Old Days!

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Ah, the traditional Christmas sight of a cat riding a bicycle. :lol:

Who got the job of writing the weekly four line verse? Also, why - or were you simply nothing in the 30s and 40s if your product wasn't advertised in McGonagall-esque poetry? (Billy Brown of London Town springs to mind.)
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Jon

Post by Jon »

I definitely recognise that 1946 Christmas issue... probably reprinted in a "Beano & Dandy" collection - I can't imagine where else I'd know it from.

RamblingSid

Post by RamblingSid »

Really like the mouse joke.

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

Jon, it's reprinted on page 91 of Denis Gifford's Happy Days: One hundred years of comics,published by Jupiter Books, 1975. Could that be your source?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steven wrote:Just noticed the word 'chink' on the 27-10-45 issue. I doubt that word would be used nowadays.
As I seem a bit slow on the uptake here, I will have to admit that this is the first time I have read this thread, but I think it is worth pointing out that The Cheery Chinks was a very popular strip in The Rover from the late twenties to September 1938, often sharing a full page with Nosey Parker. It took holidays from time to time but it was essentially a long-running feature. I call it a strip but it was really just a single half-page panel with lots of humorous activity going on, rather like Spadger Isle in The Wizard over a roughly similar period, and just as non-PC when read nowadays.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...As, for that matter, is Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot. I wonder if the current editions still include words like 'Chinks' - or have they been surreptitiously replaced like the Golliwogs in Noddy?

- Phil Rushton