New Comic Magazine hits the stands

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

STARBOY

Re: New Comic Magazine hits the stands

Post by STARBOY »

Actually DC are doing an anthology comic again which I forgot to add it to my last text re the 100pagers (and Lew I think you are correct they are all mostly reprint material ) Its not in the format that Chris was commenting on re featuring 2 main "lesser" lights characters per issue, but not far of it - The New 6 issue "Weird Worlds" features a Lobo strip (with Ordway art) and 2 new characters "Garbage Man" and "Tanga" (by Kevin McGuire) I think the latter 2 are creator owned - each strip is 10 page segments.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

STARBOY wrote:Actually DC are doing an anthology comic again which I forgot to add it to my last text re the 100pagers (and Lew I think you are correct they are all mostly reprint material ) Its not in the format that Chris was commenting on re featuring 2 main "lesser" lights characters per issue, but not far of it - The New 6 issue "Weird Worlds" features a Lobo strip (with Ordway art) and 2 new characters "Garbage Man" and "Tanga" (by Kevin McGuire) I think the latter 2 are creator owned - each strip is 10 page segments.
Yes, I bought it. (It's a bit average. Won't bother again.) But that's a limited series, not an ongoing one.

I think one problem is that some modern writers are so used to doing 22 page decompressed stories that they find it difficult to write 10 pagers of any substance. The horror anthologies of the 1950s had it perfect, as did Stan Lee in the 1960s, but now it seems to be a lost art for U.S. comics.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I agree I wasn't impressed by it either lovely art but no story, the "short" continuing story is one thing that UK comic writers seem to excel at (or at least the did) looks like a lost skill.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Wasn't there that "Saturday Comics" thing a while ago that failed because the stories were way too slow paced? They were supposed to appear in tiny segments like newspaper strips of old, but had the pace of modern graphic novel stories.

Shame, I was thinking of buying a year's worth of it and having it bound. But it didn't even last a year!

Raven

Post by Raven »

felneymike wrote:Wasn't there that "Saturday Comics" thing a while ago that failed because the stories were way too slow paced? They were supposed to appear in tiny segments like newspaper strips of old, but had the pace of modern graphic novel stories.

Shame, I was thinking of buying a year's worth of it and having it bound. But it didn't even last a year!

Wednesday Comics, as I mentioned above. It was only ever supposed to last for twelve issues - it was a mini-series - but comic shops over here couldn't seem to give them away after the first few; I think that's more because it wasn't very good than because it was an anthology. The run is collected in a big hardback (around £30), though.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I loved the Wednesday comics from a artist standpoint, some really nice art - Felneymike; if you looking for these strips you can usually pick them up for 50p in some comic shops I have about 3 doublers if you want them for postage?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Nah I don't like superheroes. I was also not aware it was a limited run, I just thought it had failed because of low sales. I only wanted to bind a year's worth to have a big thick book o comics to go alongside my Boys' Friend volumes!

django

Post by django »

I don't think Wednesday Comics was a failure, according to bleedingcool.com Steve Rude has tweeted he's doing something for Volume 2.

Raven

Post by Raven »

django wrote:I don't think Wednesday Comics was a failure, according to bleedingcool.com Steve Rude has tweeted he's doing something for Volume 2.
I don't know about the US - I'd just noticed lots of unsold back issues in local UK comic shops, still there each week, and some finally marked right down in price.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Mark downs? Since when do comics and magazines get reduced in price, I thought they were usually just sent back to the supplier or kept in stock until they sold?

Raven

Post by Raven »

Digifiend wrote:Mark downs? Since when do comics and magazines get reduced in price ...
Lots of times. Have you not seen those mixed bags for a quid or so of unsold US comics in comic shops - or the boxes of older issues at 50p each? I've seen issues of Wednesday Comics down to £1.00 at most; Starboy says 50p in his experience.
Last edited by Raven on 25 Jan 2011, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Mark downs? Since when do comics and magazines get reduced in price, I thought they were usually just sent back to the supplier or kept in stock until they sold?
Raven's talking about comic shops, not newsagents. Stock to those places is on firm sale, not sale or return. If a shop can't shift its back issues it's often wiser to put them in a sale.

Amazing Fantasy is your nearest comic shop isn't it?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, but I saw plenty of back issues at full price last time I was there.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Yeah, but I saw plenty of back issues at full price last time I was there.
Well it's not set in stone. It's up to each shop to decide if its stock needs reducing or not. Many back issues increase in value over time, but if a shop feels they're burdened with stock that isn't shifting it's often wiser to have a sale. Blackpool's Thunderbooks for example was selling recent back issues for a pound each last summer.