Doctor Who 2011

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Doctor Who 2011

Post by Peter Gray »

Doctor Who 2011

I think it does show the Doctor dying...But at least we'll have 200 years of Doctor Who before then..it showed the companions the Doctor they recognise rather than the later face he has after 200 years of adventures...

Also loved the Laurel and Hardy moment..
of course Laurel and Hardy wore Fezzes in Sons of the Desert..I think that was a clip from it..

tony ingram

Re: Doctor Who 2011

Post by tony ingram »

Seems a lot edgier this year. The heroine shooting at a little girl is not what you expect at 6.45 on a Saturday. The cadaverous Philip Hinchcliffe (who always reminded me of Vincent Price) would be proud!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Sadly, I just can't follow it! I watched the last ep of last season's repeats on BBC 3 - or was it 4? Just couldn't work all the `Pandorica` stuff out at all! This season's ep - Sorry, but I turned to watching a music DVD after 20 mins! Too complex for me- my fault!!

Oh! if any kind soul can clear one thing up though please? Is Amy's Boyfriend/Husband Rory? Still an Auton? I truly don't know if he is or not! :?:
A Face unclouded by thought.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Rory was restored to life when the Doctor sacrificed himself in the Pandorica in last year's finale. The auton was erased from existence and this Rory is the original human one.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

I actually enjoyed this episode! Found myself drifting off/losing interest with most of last season's offerings. Not a big fan of the spunky-girl-sidekick in general, and ms. Gillan is a bit too starey-eyed for my liking. Tone that down and I'd be a lot happier.

Was that Willie Nelson playing the older whatsisname III guy?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

dreamticket wrote:I actually enjoyed this episode! Found myself drifting off/losing interest with most of last season's offerings. Not a big fan of the spunky-girl-sidekick in general, and ms. Gillan is a bit too starey-eyed for my liking. Tone that down and I'd be a lot happier.

Was that Willie Nelson playing the older whatsisname III guy?
No, it was the father of the actor playing the younger version of the character. I know what you mean, though-definitely looked like Willie.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Is Arthur Darville (Rory) related to Ellie Darville? She was the voice of the `Y` Bird in childrens BBC programme.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Playbus. And they're not related. Arthur's surname is Darvill - no E!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I also thought the latest episode was really good, better then any of last seasons episodes.
Last edited by steelclaw on 29 Apr 2011, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I've been a Who fan since it started - originally, I mean, but despite all the great effects, lighting, Matt Smith, who is excellent, so many monsters, it's all too much and I feel it's just being a bit too smart for it's own good. OTT. it seems as if every episode he has to save the world, universe, whatever. Don't we need some smaller, more local problems for the Doctor to fix?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

paw broon wrote:I've been a Who fan since it started - originally, I mean, but despite all the great effects, lighting, Matt Smith, who is excellent, so many monsters, it's all too much and I feel it's just being a bit too smart for it's own good. OTT. it seems as if every episode he has to save the world, universe, whatever. Don't we need some smaller, more local problems for the Doctor to fix?
But surely, he's pretty much always been saving the world several times a year? Look at the 1971 season: five stories, of which four concerned threats to the entire planet (the Autons, the Keller machine, the Daemon, the Axons). Or to skip ahead ten years, 1981-which ends with a threat to the whole universe. It's nothing new. It's simply hyped up more, these days.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes, he's OFTEN had to save the world, universe but on many occasions there have been stories which were much more "local" with lesser threats but were still most enjoyable. The Aztecs, many of the historicals, Visitation, Black Orchid, Kinda, Snakedance (and a lot which are set on other planets and don't threaten Earth or the universe, e.g The Ribos Operation). And stuff such as The Seeds of Doom would almost have functioned as a Quatermass story because, although Earth could be considered under threat, it's at a lower level.
I simply feel that now it's all just a bit too fraught with angst and emotions hanging out and it would be good to relax a little with some stories that are not so completely in your face. A change of pace is a good thing and might bring me back because I really do enjoy Matt Smith's Doctor and find myself watching the first part of stories and turning away as they progress.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

paw broon wrote:Yes, he's OFTEN had to save the world, universe but on many occasions there have been stories which were much more "local" with lesser threats but were still most enjoyable. The Aztecs, many of the historicals, Visitation, Black Orchid, Kinda, Snakedance (and a lot which are set on other planets and don't threaten Earth or the universe, e.g The Ribos Operation). And stuff such as The Seeds of Doom would almost have functioned as a Quatermass story because, although Earth could be considered under threat, it's at a lower level.
I simply feel that now it's all just a bit too fraught with angst and emotions hanging out and it would be good to relax a little with some stories that are not so completely in your face. A change of pace is a good thing and might bring me back because I really do enjoy Matt Smith's Doctor and find myself watching the first part of stories and turning away as they progress.
Well, there's no indication that our mysterious aliens in the tunnels are actuall threatening the world now any more than they have been since they arrived, so far...

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Sadly, I just can't follow/figure it! My own shortcomings i'm afraid! I had same trouble with `Inspector Morse` and the Le Carre thrillers "Tinker, Tailor etc"

Gosh! its not a complaint, or putting it down in any way at all -as the fault is mine-but Dr Who is just too complex for me! Never mind- I can still enjoy the older episodes.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Well, I enjoyed it after hating the last series. Seems to have gone back to the family horror of Blink, rather than last season's children's comedy fantasy.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics