Osama bin Laden - dead

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Osama bin Laden - dead

Post by Digifiend »

:D They finally got him! Osama bin Laden has been killed by US forces in Pakistan. It's about damn time! Only took them 9 and a half years.
http://www.karoo.co.uk/NewsArticle.aspx ... ategory=UK

STARBOY

Re: Osama bin Laden - dead

Post by STARBOY »

Pretty stunning news indeed - I don't think finding one person, even as distinctive as he was in a world population of 6 billion was an easy task so hats off the the Americans for that (not often they get these things right) - Sadly we all know this won't signal the end of terrorism but we can hope it signals a sea change in some peoples thinking . Its certainly a "where were you moment" all the same.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I sleep with the radio on LBC so woke up at 5am to a newsflash - being half asleep I first thought President Obama had been killed. Texted several friends straight away. He has been buried at sea so that his grave cannot become a shrine. Radio pundits have criticised the far left bbc for saying he has been "accused" of terrorist offences rather than agreeing, like everyone else, that he is guilty of them.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

He was bad news...the Hitler of the 21st Century [although it's only 2011, and I fear absolute all-out World War 3 cannot be ruled out at some point during this Century------]. Far Worse Horrors than Bin Laden's 'legacy' could be on the Horizon, but let's not get depressed, and return to our comics.

His death will not be mourned in the West.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Some twit on Talksport just said that by "murdering" him the Americans have robbed the families of his victims from seeing him stand trial and the justice of him being found guilty of his crimes. The same twit said it was inappropriate for Americans to be openly celebrating his death. I seem to remember footage of people in the middle east dancing with joy after the twin towers horror.

Its also been reported he used a woman as a shield before being shot dead.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Far left BBC :lol: pundits over journalism. Way of the world I guess. Why report facts, when you can have an opinion?

I though Bin Laden had died years ago. Never was convinced by those audio tapes. Didn't think someone like that would stay so invisible for so long. Unfortunately, I doubt it'll make much difference. Wish it did but I suspect many of them thought he was probably dead too.

At least it might stop the far-right Murdoch empire trying to insinuate Obama is an Islamic terrorist. And on that point, would Trump be questioning a white president over his birth certificate? I think not.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote::D They finally got him! Osama bin Laden has been killed by US forces in Pakistan. It's about damn time! Only took them 9 and a half years.
http://www.karoo.co.uk/NewsArticle.aspx ... ategory=UK
If it's true I doubt it'll dissuade the terrorists. If anything it'll motivate them even more unfortunately. Sadly there is no solution when it comes to dealing with fanatics who think they're doing the work of god.

Some people are reacting on news sites as though Bin Laden was some comic book mastermind surrounded by lackeys who will suddenly be helpless without his evil plans to guide them. Surely the grim reality is that although he was a figurehead for them there must be numerous other "plotters" just as devious who'll now up their game in vengeance?

The whole situation is a mess and this century still isn't getting any brighter just because one scumbag is reputedly dead.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Oh it's true. I heard President Obama making a speech about it on the radio this morning. Good riddance.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

It was probably his double.
He shouldn't have used his real address on the Playstation network.
Their's so many conspiracy theories who do you believe these days.
I feel so much safer now. :roll:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'll shed no tears for him, but saying he was 'found and killed' does sound like the sort of instant justice Judge Dredd is known for. No doubt they would do the same to Gaddafi if they could (however much they deny he is a target) - but where does one draw the line with this sort of policy?

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They almost did at the weekend - apparently they only killed his son and grandkids instead. Of course, we don't know if the Libyan source was telling the truth, since our media can't verify it.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

what was the bounty on Bin Laden's head again? I think it was lottery-winning stuff.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Oh it's true. I heard President Obama making a speech about it on the radio this morning. Good riddance.
And politicians never lie do they? :wink:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:They almost did at the weekend - apparently they only killed his son and grandkids instead. Of course, we don't know if the Libyan source was telling the truth, since our media can't verify it.
Well, the media can't verify Bin Laden's death either.

As for Libya, if it is true it's all turning very nasty when children are killed just for having the same genes as their dictator grandfather. How does that help anything? Imagine the understandable outrage and national thirst for revenge if Obama or Cameron's kids had been blown up by the enemy and you can imagine what a dangerous game we're getting into. Today, our lives became more endangered, less safe, than they've ever been since WW2.

If this was putting the world on a course for peace I'd be all for it. Unfortunately these actions don't deter terrorism, they fuel it.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

BL [as his chums called him] has supposedly been 'buried at sea'. Why so soon after his death? More probably, the madman's* corpse has been frozen in ice, so that 'pseudo-scientists can later examine the contents of his warped brain...as if it would look any different to anyone else's!

[*, allegedly, according to the Sun,Disclaimer, over and out].