Doctor Who 2011

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: Doctor Who 2011

Post by Peter Gray »

I think the girl regenerates into River Song as a guess..

Amy is the mother of River Song..

There will be a new CBBC series with a female Doctor as the lead with chldren helping her...

it was a bit of a mind confuser...lots of new questions..

I'll watch it again tonight from my recording..

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I was abit confused at the beginning I thought I must have missed some of last weeks episode.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote: it was a bit of a mind confuser...lots of new questions..
It crosses over with episodes to come. Lots of timey-wimey stuff over the series.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

I enjoyed that a lot. Unfortunately, next episode looks back to being the children's programme. A far cry from Blink or The Empty Child. In fact, a far cry from most of Pertwee or Baker's adventures too.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

I loved it. And I very much like that the show's producers are trusting the viewers by leaving so many questions left unanswered. Given that Steven Moffatt does like to build a load of different threads and then bring them all together in the end, I think we're in for something extraordinary this year. I thought last year was outstanding - but I'm sure this year will be even better.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I always have fond memories of Season Seven. Not so much for Jon Pertwee debuting, but the style of stories themselves! It was possibly the biggest change of style and emphasis between two seasons in the series history! Many long term Dr Who fans state how vastly different seasons Six & Seven were from each other.
A Face unclouded by thought.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Classic Comics wrote:I loved it. And I very much like that the show's producers are trusting the viewers by leaving so many questions left unanswered. Given that Steven Moffatt does like to build a load of different threads and then bring them all together in the end, I think we're in for something extraordinary this year. I thought last year was outstanding - but I'm sure this year will be even better.
Talking to some non-fans at the weekend and they were saying they've gone off this series because it's "too geeky" and confusing. Sadly some viewers just want everything explained for them and neatly tied up in one or two episodes. I hope the majority of viewers stick with it though.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Classic Comics wrote:I loved it. And I very much like that the show's producers are trusting the viewers by leaving so many questions left unanswered. Given that Steven Moffatt does like to build a load of different threads and then bring them all together in the end, I think we're in for something extraordinary this year. I thought last year was outstanding - but I'm sure this year will be even better.
Talking to some non-fans at the weekend and they were saying they've gone off this series because it's "too geeky" and confusing. Sadly some viewers just want everything explained for them and neatly tied up in one or two episodes. I hope the majority of viewers stick with it though.
I expected that to happen. The previous production team deliberately tried to appeal to the same kind of mass audience who watch the soaps and reality shows. Many of those viewers are simply not into science fiction/fantasy as a general rule, and what the current team are giving us is an intelligent science fiction/fantasy series. So, the show has lost them. Am I bothered? Not in the slightest. Doctor Who is still the most watched non-soap drama on TV. If it lost a third of its regular audience, its ratings would still be very high in comparison to most other current TV dramas. I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon. If the Heat magazine readers can no longer relate to it, that's their problem, frankly.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Lew Stringer wrote:Talking to some non-fans at the weekend and they were saying they've gone off this series because it's "too geeky" and confusing. Sadly some viewers just want everything explained for them and neatly tied up in one or two episodes. I hope the majority of viewers stick with it though.
I enjoyed Neil Gaiman's The Doctor's Wife episode from a couple of weeks ago but found this weeks episode a bit tedious and not worth stringing out into a two-parter. It has the makings of a good story, just not a two parter.

Still struggling with Karen Gillan.

Can see why non-fans might struggle. If there is thread running through all the episodes and you only watch the odd one, it might well be easy to get lost. No doubt the thinking behind the running story is to keep people watching, but I can't help feeling they would be better off concentrating on stronger writing in one-off episodes. That doesn't mean you can't have a theme running through the series, though.

Too many times when I'm watching a two-parter, whatever the show (X-Files, ST:Next Generation, Voyager) it just feels like a good idea strung out too long.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I have exactly the opposite problem. I rarely feel that 45 minutes or an hour is long enough to tell a decent story, or at least not a science fiction story. To me, 90 minutes (the length of a modern two parter or an old four parter, more or less) is the ideal length for a Doctor Who story. It gives it room to breathe, so to speak, rather than feeling rushed as most of the new single parters do.

As far as continuing storylines go, it never did Lost any harm. Or classic Doctor Who either, for that matter. It just requires the audience to commit to watching every week, which is surely the whole point. It saddens me that modern audiences seem unable to cope with such a basic requirement of serialized drama, but will still tune in religiously to drivel like EastEnders.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Did anyone enjoy `Marchlands`? I found it a bit tricky to follow-but was glad I stuck with it! It reminded me of some of the old "Mystery and Imagination" episodes a bit in style.
A Face unclouded by thought.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I personally enjoyed this week's episode. Found it much more like classic DW than the Impossible Astronaut, but that's me.

If the audience numbers are dropping, it is a shame, but every programme has highs and lows in their viewing figures, so why should we worry about a current slump? I must admit that I enjoy the fact that the current series has a lot of threads going through it and that it takes a bit of mental effort to keep up with them. It is siliar to keeping up with any soap, if you want to keep up with storylines, you watch it all the time and don't moan if one sub-plot goes all over the place.

And I would rather see the quality stay high than just descend into DW-lite just to keep viewing figures up.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Unfortunately, this week's episode will probably get low ratings, because it clashes with the Champions League Final coverage on ITV.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:I personally enjoyed this week's episode. Found it much more like classic DW than the Impossible Astronaut, but that's me.

If the audience numbers are dropping, it is a shame, but every programme has highs and lows in their viewing figures, so why should we worry about a current slump? I must admit that I enjoy the fact that the current series has a lot of threads going through it and that it takes a bit of mental effort to keep up with them. It is siliar to keeping up with any soap, if you want to keep up with storylines, you watch it all the time and don't moan if one sub-plot goes all over the place.

And I would rather see the quality stay high than just descend into DW-lite just to keep viewing figures up.
There's a lot of talk about viewing figures dropping, but the final figures for every episode this series so far have still been between 6.5 million and 8.5 million, which is higher than pretty much any regular show apart from EastEnders and Coronation Street.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, don't trust the overnight figures, they don't include BBC3 repeats and iPlayer usage, which I think the final figures do.