2012 Annuals

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

swirlythingy

Re: 2012 Annuals

Post by swirlythingy »

Indeed - not one issue of the Beano so far in 2011 has had more than 32 pages, apart from the 8 page Lego advertisement. What we're actually paying for is the bag of junk - or incentivising chain stores to buy extra copies, depending on which view you subscribe to.
Neo wrote:Do Beano readers and Dandy readers have different school holidays?
Is that the explanation? Two weeks for every half term, as well as Easter, seems a little excessive. I don't want to think what the summer holiday's going to be like...
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

swirlythingy wrote:Indeed - not one issue of the Beano so far in 2011 has had more than 32 pages, apart from the 8 page Lego advertisement. What we're actually paying for is the bag of junk - or incentivising chain stores to buy extra copies, depending on which view you subscribe to.
Neo wrote:Do Beano readers and Dandy readers have different school holidays?
Is that the explanation? Two weeks for every half term, as well as Easter, seems a little excessive. I don't want to think what the summer holiday's going to be like...
They are tying them in with school breaks and that, as far as I can tell!

As for the summer holidays, I imagine it'll be like last summer, where we had the Beano's 'Summer of Fun' and each issue was card-covered and cost £2.50, remember?

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Little Squelchy Thing wrote:As for the summer holidays, I imagine it'll be like last summer, where we had the Beano's 'Summer of Fun' and each issue was card-covered and cost £2.50, remember?
You're right - I remembered the card, but I'd forgotten the price. Cripes.

Actually, wasn't this an area covered by the Summer Annual this year? Doesn't account for the Dandy, of course, and there's still time to be proved wrong.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

swirlythingy wrote:What we're actually paying for is the bag of junk
Nobody's forcing you to buy the product. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

If you bought a pencil and you hated it, would you go on a Pencil Forum to complain about it? Take refuse to Edding, Derwent or Staedtler to force them to your way of thinking?

Maybe I'll add 'elitist' to the list. If I could find the right pencil to do it with.

Writing this in tiny, because you seem to adopt sarcasm in this way, and I LOVE sarcasm, so I'll talk to you in a way you'll understand. I bet you clicked on fake link, didn't you? You did. Loser.

NP

Post by NP »

What have the last few posts got to do with 2012 Annuals?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Blame Bri, he's the one who went :offtopic2:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Blame Bri, he's the one who went :offtopic2:
All of us who followed him are equally to blame.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

im sorry :D i only went off topic in relation to a comment paul said that his local whs doesnt take 1 copy of the dandy anymore & I said my local shops dont either & it seems to have escalated into more playground stuff between scoobie & swirly again

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

"Between"?

django

Post by django »

I got the Beano Summer Annual from Amazon, would have loved to have bought from a bricks and mortar shop but none of them had it...it's times like this is I miss Borders!. Haven't read it yet, I'm saving it for a hot sunny weekend so I can read it in the garden with a bottle of pop...I'm not holding my breath:).

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Apologies, probably my fault for dragging it off topic.

It's a shame that the Dennis the Menace annual is no more, if that's true.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Digifiend wrote: Amazon is advertising something called Beano and Dandy Gift Book - with a £12.99 price tag, it seems to be this years retro book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beano-and-Dandy ... 070&sr=1-5
Any more word yet on what this is? As Digi says it could be this years Retro book, but at that price tag it does seem like it will be something a bit more than it usually is. I'm sure someone here knows, but whether they're going to let on... :-)

Ross

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The cover for the Gift Book:
It's actually called The Beano and The Dandy Celebrate Dennis the Menace. So it looks like it is indeed this year's retro annual.

blaing

Post by blaing »

I am adding this to my regular annual order. :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Looks great..I can see Smasher and Desperate Dan on the cover.so relieved there is a book this year...also nice the Dandy masthead is not been reduced...the Dandy lives on..