Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Post by steelclaw »

To tell you the truth Lew I don't know, I found on a 'Free avatars for forums' site I thought it was funny.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Looks to me like it's a clever edit of two seperate pieces of film. The bloke looks "pasted on" as he falls into the shark's mouth.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The shark may well be from a Jaws film. The boat scene, no idea.

RamblingSid

Post by RamblingSid »

I'm sure it's Shark Attack - Megalodon. The one with John Barrowman.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looked that up - the first Shark Attack was made for TV and the sequels were straight to DVD. That would explain the cut and paste type editing - it was low budget.

Anyway, we've been :offtopic1: a little much, don't you think? :wink:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My local Smiths (Surrey Quays, London) had the Summer Special among the comics.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i checked my local whs today no summer special in yet but they finally had 2 copies of the summer annual in,doesnt look that good but i will get in on wed using my spend £15 get fiver off voucher when i get the reg beano & dandy seeing as they will be 2.50 each again this week along with viz so will actually get it for £1 :lol:

Gary

Post by Gary »

WH Smith at Meadowhall, Sheffield, had about 8 or 9 copies in today. They were shelved next to the regular Beano comic.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I've finally bought mine, and once again it was a trek down to Croydon. Wimbledon really are rubbish, aren't they? (Although, while the shop assistant was failing to find it, he did turn up a batch of half a dozen or so Summer Annuals which weren't there last time. Maybe I'm too prompt for my own good?)

I can't really remember where it was stored, except I'm pretty sure it wasn't among the books. (I have a vague memory of impulse-buying a Fun-Size some years ago from the same shelf, so perhaps it was a 'Comic Spin-Offs' category or something.)

Anyway, there were a good half-dozen there, fairly prominently positioned - and also, it must be said, in the company of rather a lot of similar format publications carrying "Exlusive to WHSmith" circles and mastheads of titles available in the magazine rack, such as a Heritage Railway book all about Dr. Beeching, so I think this probably wasn't DC Thomson's idea. (Interestingly, one of its reprints was a Roger the Dodger strip from the 2000 Summer Special, which was one of the only things not reprinted in the Annual, so some co-operation evidently took place.)

EDIT: Also, I was buying it for two, or so the kid sitting next to me on the tram back thought. I told him where to get it, so you never know...
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Jon

Post by Jon »

Well WHSmiths in Windsor had about 7 or 8 in today, not shelved with the comics but on the "special editions" rack (which features glossy card-backed editions of National Geographic specials, etc etc). I was disappointed to see that all but one of them had some sort of spine damage - albeit minimal - but most had small chips taken out of the spine where they'd obviously been hit on something.

No sign of the summer annual in either Reading or Windsor branches of WHSmiths, unless I've just missed out, or am looking in the wrong place. :(

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I havn't seen them in Guildford..Kingston..etc..the summer annual..I'm not sure if I'd buy it anyway if the reprints are too recent..like to look inside it though..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The reprints in the Summer Special "bookazine" range from the 1960s to 2000, so it covers all eras. I haven't bought it yet (didn't have enough money with me) but I saw it today in two different branches of Smiths, shelved next to Beano, Dandy and BeanoMAX. Oddly, in one branch some Beanos were on a promotional stand alongside partworks and the Jacqueline Wilson Magazine, but there wasn't a special offer on or anything.

Still can't find the Summer Annuals in the shops anywhere.

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Got mine today (In the Smiths on York Railway Station, it was with the rest of the kids comics)..looks great, can't wait to have a good look through it.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bought it today, a good read - I'd only seen a couple of strips before (one was in the 60 Years book Funshine and Laughter I think and I have the 2000 Summer Special).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

No adverts in the Weekly News but then it has just occurred to me that I haven't seen any comic ads in the Weekly News for a few weeks now. There was a change of editor recently which is probably why.