Whats the best way to store old Beanos?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

sthura

Whats the best way to store old Beanos?

Post by sthura »

Finally after leaving home 15 years ago my parents have decided to sell up and I now have to find a niceway of storing my old beano comics - mainly 1970s and 80s - I don't want to lock them away totally in boxes as now they'll be close to hand I think I should re read some....so what's the best way to store them.

Thanks

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Whats the best way to store old Beanos?

Post by steelclaw »

I usaully store mine on top of each other to save space.

Jon

Post by Jon »

In my experience filing cabinets have been perfect, as long as you make sure the comics are well supported. You can sort them however you like e.g. one file per year, or one file per month, depending how many comics you have from a certain year. Costs you a fortune in suspension files though. :lol:

sthura

Post by sthura »

steelclaw wrote:I usaully store mine on top of each other to save space.
Thanks...I was thinking more in terms of what in, i.e. plastic wallets, binders, boxes etc to make sure they stay in the same good condition they've managed to be in after years being hidden under a bed!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Store in a cool dry place. You don't want them getting damp. Oh, and out of direct sunlight.

Jon

Post by Jon »

sthura wrote:good condition they've managed to be in after years being hidden under a bed!
Well if that works for you, sounds like you've already got a decent system. :up:

A similar alternative can be seen here: http://cdnedge.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2543339.stm
The original owner, who is in his late seventies and did not want to be identified, kept the comic in a plastic folder under a sofa for 40 years before putting it up for sale.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

sthura wrote:
Thanks...I was thinking more in terms of what in, i.e. plastic wallets, binders, boxes etc to make sure they stay in the same good condition they've managed to be in after years being hidden under a bed!
I have all mine bagged and in magazine boxes from my local comic shop. You can't beat storing them in the approved method in boxes designed for the purpose, if you want to look after them properly.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I've kept my TV21s and Odhams comics unbagged and piled up in a cardboard box in the dark for decades and they're still in near-new condition. A lot of it depends on room temperature and keeping them away from radiators and/or direct sunlight.

If you stack them flat, alternate each issue so that every other one is upside down. That prevents spine-roll.

But, yeah, use bags for an extra defense if you wish.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

sthura

Post by sthura »

Lew Stringer wrote:If you stack them flat, alternate each issue so that every other one is upside down. That prevents spine-roll.
Ooh I like that idea, so simple yet I think my brain has become so overcome with dust particles after looking through 30+years of my old stuff that i wouldn't have come up with that :)

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

tony ingram wrote:
sthura wrote:
I have all mine bagged and in magazine boxes from my local comic shop. You can't beat storing them in the approved method in boxes designed for the purpose, if you want to look after them properly.
I've found that the magazine box doesn't quite accomodate my old Warlords (mid-seventies). Some are just peeking up above the lid, which is quite annoying. I'd imagine it would be the same for most British comics from the same era? My British Marvels, on the other hand, fit quite nicely.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

As i've said before I keep mine in food/freezer bags which you can get from any household goods shops for about £1 for a roll of 250-300. They keep them clean and free from handlig wear. The bags area perfect fit for Beanos and Dandys.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Ryman (the stationers) does, or did, some dirt cheap recycled cardboard upright magazine holders which I've found quite adequate for my purposes, especially since a year's worth of issues fits almost exactly in one of them (although now both the Beano and Dandy have heavier paper I'm not sure if it'll still work out). I keep them on two long shelves, in the shadow area of the window and some distance from the nearest heat source (although I can't account for humidity, since there's a fish tank two feet underneath!). However, I don't have any significantly old comics, and most of the early ones were kept with such dreadful sloppiness for the first several years it's virtually impossible to attribute a direct cause to any degradation.

Spine roll is certainly a real problem, as I found out back when I simply stacked them. One thing about recent Beanos which you do have to look out for is that the terrible paper stock used from 2008-10 is very capable of knocking over the box it's stored in by sheer force of flop! I had to stiffen mine with scrap cardboard for months before they were tamed.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

dreamticket wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
sthura wrote: Thanks...I was thinking more in terms of what in, i.e. plastic wallets, binders, boxes etc to make sure they stay in the same good condition they've managed to be in after years being hidden under a bed!
I've found that the magazine box doesn't quite accomodate my old Warlords (mid-seventies). Some are just peeking up above the lid, which is quite annoying. I'd imagine it would be the same for most British comics from the same era? My British Marvels, on the other hand, fit quite nicely.
That's weird. I use 2000AD size magazine boxes and there's usually about an inch and a half clear between the top of the Warlords and the lip of the box.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Hmmm. I didn't realise there was a special box for 2000AD. I just bought some boxes described as Magazine sized, presuming they were American mag sized. I assumed this was the biggest box available and would cope with most British weekies.

What size 2000AD are you referring to here? The taller new size, or the wider originals? The originals are a tight squeeze for me as well, come to think of it.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

dreamticket wrote:Hmmm. I didn't realise there was a special box for 2000AD. I just bought some boxes described as Magazine sized, presuming they were American mag sized. I assumed this was the biggest box available and would cope with most British weekies.

What size 2000AD are you referring to here? The taller new size, or the wider originals? The originals are a tight squeeze for me as well, come to think of it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Magazine-2000AD ... 43a76e5b9b