Just Books

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dreamticket

Just Books

Post by dreamticket »

No comics. No Graphic Novels. Just books. What has everybody been reading lately/what are you reading now?

No spoilers, needless to say.

I'm reading Tony Hillerman's The Sinister Pig and recently finished Terri Hooley's amusing (auto)biography, which explains why you are getting the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-pIEWA5 ... re=related

Enjoy!

stevezodiac

Re: Just Books

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm reading a book called No One Likes Us We Don't Care - a collection of anecdotes from Millwall Hooligans. I'm also halfway through a book about the American Civil War - stories from the soldiers themselves taken from their diaries and letters home - its a heavy hardback though so I can't take it to work and read it on the tube every day as my bag is already bulging with stuff.

As Dennis Hopper said to Christopher Walken in True Romance "I find that sh*t fascinating"

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Currently working my way through another Anne McCaffrey that I had not read and then onto Mark Birmingham's Designated Targets: World War 2.2, which I have read before and is a cracking read.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Had a bit of a reading splurdge lately.
First came "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. 900 pages, absolutely wonderful, one of the best books I have ever read, finished in about 2 weeks which, when you consider it's size is a recommendation in itself.

Followed this by picking up Patrick Ness' "Chaos Walking" trilogy, supposedly written for Young Adults - well this Young Adult is 49 next week!! and at no time did I feel too old to be reading and enjoying these books.

I urge everyone to give this series a go, the first book is called "The knife of never letting go", I was hooked 5 pages in. Maybe the best series of books I have read, perhaps run close by the wonderful Fables series.

I followed these with another Patrick Ness, his new novel "A Monster Calls", a very poignant tale which again I highly recommend.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Finished Edgar Rice Burroughs 'Warlord of Mars', now reading some writings on Ancient History (thought it was about time), 'Against All Things Ending' - the last chronicles of Thomas Covenant and 'The Man in the High Castle' by Philip K Dick, as well as ecological/biological/environmental stuff for work purposes.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I'm reading Charles Bukowski's "Post Office" and just finished off his book of short stories called "the most Beautiful woman in town" probably an aquired taste but love his work even though it can plumbthe depths at times - also picked up the Bowie biography "Starman" which I will get into asap.

RamblingSid

Post by RamblingSid »

Just started Christopher Priest's The Prestige. I saw the film a few years ago, been meaning to read this since.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Sad as it sounds I don't bother reading fiction these days as I have a stack of books on the history of comics to get through first. The Ten Cent Plague by David Hajdu is next on the list and I'm currently reading Alan Moore Storyteller by Gary Spencer Millidge.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Nice to see such an eclectic mix of books being enjoyed by everyone!

I've just finished No Good From A Corpse by Leigh Brackett. She's better known for her science fiction and film scripts, but this hardboiled detective fiction was her first novel.

Keep meaning to pick up some of her Sci-Fi as I enjoyed what little I read of it, but have not got round to it yet.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Currently having a Pratchett splurge. Just finished off Feet of Clay, Men At Arms, Guards! Guards! and now in the tail end of Jingo. Next on the list is Moving Pictures and I am waiting for a new book to come through the post, John Birmingham's Final Impact: World War 2.3 (I got the author wrong in my earlier post!)

Also read through the second Anne McCaffrey Acorna trilogy. But still missing reading some comics. :( Meep.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I have very much enjoyed the combined volumes of James Blish's "Black Easter/ The Day After Judgement" They first came out in the early 1970s! Blish puts a very interesting slant on percieved views of Heaven & Hell.
A Face unclouded by thought.

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

I have often wondered if many other comic readers are similar to me when it comes to fiction. I tend to go for novels that are part of a series or feature a recurring character. I am currently on book four of the Eagle series by Simon Scarrow. These feature two Centurions who get up to various scrapes during the time of the Roman empire. Previous to that I have read all of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe books and Ian Rankin's Rebus books to name just two of the many series I have indulged in over the years.

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

chrissmillie wrote:Finished Edgar Rice Burroughs 'Warlord of Mars', now reading some writings on Ancient History (thought it was about time), 'Against All Things Ending' - the last chronicles of Thomas Covenant and 'The Man in the High Castle' by Philip K Dick, as well as ecological/biological/environmental stuff for work purposes.
I read the first two John Carter books last year and the first two Tarzan books. I have to say as much as I enjoyed them as basic romps they were very thin on characterization. I have not felt the need to check out any more of ERB's work.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Has anyone ever read John Brunners "Traveller in Black"? That was a book I thoroughly enjoyed.
A Face unclouded by thought.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

presterjohn wrote:I have often wondered if many other comic readers are similar to me when it comes to fiction. I tend to go for novels that are part of a series or feature a recurring character. I am currently on book four of the Eagle series by Simon Scarrow. These feature two Centurions who get up to various scrapes during the time of the Roman empire. Previous to that I have read all of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe books and Ian Rankin's Rebus books to name just two of the many series I have indulged in over the years.
I must admit that the continued exploration of a 'fictional' universe appeals to me as I read a large amount of books that have recurring characters. PJ, have you deliberately missed the Starbuck novels by Cornwell or not read them yet?

For me, Pratchett, Asimov, McCaffrey, Donaldson, Asprin, Reilly and Heinlein have all featured recurring characters in which they seem to find something new to explore. But I have found that Wilbur Smith and Clive Cussler seems to be read one book, you've read them all. That is just my opinion. Others may vehemently disagree with this sentiment.

There is a comfort thing in reading the continuing exploits of a single or a set of characters. Many of us read Johns, Blyton or Crompton as children and look at the adventures they have had with the Secret Seven, The Famous Five, Biggles or Just William. So perhaps the unconscious model was set as we learned to read so that we could read to learn. I know my daughter still loves the Magic Key books with the adventures of Biff, Kipper, Chip and the rest of the cast.