This weeks Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

swirlythingy

Re: This weeks Dandy

Post by swirlythingy »

If I might be permitted to post a shameless advertisement, I'm doing a little year-long project to keep tabs on the comics/adverts/filler situation here, so if there is indeed an advert peak in December that's where you'll read about it first.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Young Freddy wrote:Justgetting the thread back on its intended topic, anyone else notice the lack of non DCT adverts in this issue? Not one single advert apart from the usual one advertising the Dandy itself.
That can happen around this time of year I think. Advertising usually peaks towards Christmas, to promote the latest toys/games etc. Or at least that's how it used to be, but there are so many restrictions on what can be advertised in children's comics now. No sugary foods for example, or chocolate, or lollies. (Ah, for the days of Sugar Smacks ads. That was when breakfast cereals were allowed to have free gifts of course. And when Sugar Smacks still existed....)
And yet they can still give Haribos as a cover mount. Hypocrisy... :roll:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:Or at least that's how it used to be, but there are so many restrictions on what can be advertised in children's comics now. No sugary foods for example,
And yet they can still give Haribos as a cover mount. Hypocrisy... :roll:
It's not hypocrisy on the part of the comics though. They don't make the rules.

Besides have you tasted those things? Hardly "sweet" these days are they?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I didn't say WHO was the hypocrite. The law is, because if they can't advertise sugary food, why can they use those very sugary Haribos as a cover mount?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:I didn't say WHO was the hypocrite. The law is, because if they can't advertise sugary food, why can they use those very sugary Haribos as a cover mount?
Perhaps because they're so sour they're not addictive?

Anyway, back on topic; I'm surprised no one mentioned the cameo of Corporal Clott and Colonel Grumbly in last week's Bork story.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned the cameo of Corporal Clott and Colonel Grumbly in last week's Bork story.
I spotted it. I take it that like the others, there was no directive to do this?

I also noticed that the free gift issued was an old Xtreme one. Talking of which, was there ever a plan to completely rename the Dandy to Xtreme?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

SID wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned the cameo of Corporal Clott and Colonel Grumbly in last week's Bork story.
I spotted it. I take it that like the others, there was no directive to do this?

I also noticed that the free gift issued was an old Xtreme one. Talking of which, was there ever a plan to completely rename the Dandy to Xtreme?
i didnt think it was clott but did think they should have used him i will have to look again

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

SID wrote:
I spotted it too. Beryl the Peril is in Justin Beaver this week, so I think cameos of old characters are just the 'in' thing right now. (Possibly to make up for the hatchet taken to the cast list in October 2010 - reportedly, even Desperate Dan was condemned at one stage.)
SID wrote:I also noticed that the free gift issued was an old Xtreme one. Talking of which, was there ever a plan to completely rename the Dandy to Xtreme?
The ad for the next week from the previous week advertised a "Mystery Gift" - and, as others have correctly pointed out, "Mystery Gift" = whatever's left over in the warehouse from previous issues. (I got a tiny punchbag labelled "Stick Victim Here", but I'm guessing that wasn't what you got.)
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Again a very good issue...so much to read..

I liked Desperate Dan love the silliness of it..and Arena of Awesome

Also the History Hysterical was very good...liked the black humour..glad its a series..

also Where's Harry is great..and the telly running away in Harry Hill

Little little Richard was a good laugh..

As old character cameo's are apperaing in stories,,,it would be nice if there could be a retro Dandy page..I'm sure a puzzle page..a slight rejig it could be slipped in..its also nice the letter page and seeing kids with old Dandys..I really hope this does happen..

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think that as long as the Dandy has the budget to do 100% new material, they should do so. Retro would be a nice idea, but the longer they can keep all new material, the greater the chances of keeping it, if that makes sense?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

swirlythingy wrote:Beryl the Peril is in Justin Beaver this week, so I think cameos of old characters are just the 'in' thing right now.
According to the advert at the back of this week's issue, she's in next week's too, alongside Minnie the Minx and Toots!

Peter, they have a weekly Retro feature on the Dandy's Facebook page.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've just joined Facebook...I am very new to this..

I doubt my sister will want me to join her facepage.. :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Meerkats are up to number 92 now. If they do three a week, there's only three more weeks of them left.

When I saw Tomatoman in this week's Bananaman, I thought it was Appleman at first! Same colours.

Young Freddy

Post by Young Freddy »

Digifiend wrote:When I saw Tomatoman in this week's Bananaman, I thought it was Appleman at first! Same colours.
So did my brother! :D I probably would've if it wasn't for the fact that i had already seen that frame on the dandy facebook page.

Anyway, i didn't think this week was half as good as last week, however i quite liked hippo, george vs dragon and arena of awesome, (i'm not biased or anything- i just prefered andy's storylines this week). A couple of the others weren't too special, and its hard to review a bananaman story that hasn't ended yet. I really 'YORE!' as always though! :lol:
You can read my latest ramblings at my brand new BLOG, or you can have a peak at some of my illustrations and comics on my DEVIANTART page!

DaveWhit.

Post by DaveWhit. »

I loved the cover to this week's Dandy (issue 3538) - a homage to the 1938 Action Comics #1, capturing all the elements of that iconic Superman cover right down to the (bird) character running off to the left hand side and the disconnected wheel. Fab stuff. Who said that the Dandy was only for eight-year-olds?

In recent years the use of homage covers on new American comics has been frequent, but I've only ever spotted two other British weeklies which have sported homage covers - A Beano homage to a 1940s Batman cover and a 2000AD issue featuring the Pulp Fiction film poster.
Are there any other British comics which feature homages??