Doctor Who 2011

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Doctor Who 2011

Post by Digifiend »

I hope you're right. And Col's right, unfortunately modern SFX costs a lot more than the stuff they did with 1960s technology. That's why both Torchwood and Primeval have become co-productions.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Bit of a pity the show needs the hi-tech SFX effects etc as they do seem to eat up costs! Its what did for `The Goodies` which sadly, had become rather reliant on ever grander special effects and sets! Maybe if audience expectations were to accept less effects driven series-who knows! But I don't really see that ever coming to be!
A Face unclouded by thought.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

alanultron5 wrote:Bit of a pity the show needs the hi-tech SFX effects etc as they do seem to eat up costs! Its what did for `The Goodies` which sadly, had become rather reliant on ever grander special effects and sets! Maybe if audience expectations were to accept less effects driven series-who knows! But I don't really see that ever coming to be!
Never going to happen, Alan. Viewers don't think about budgets, they see a multi-million dollar movie with amazing special effects and expect everything they watch to meet the same standards. It's been the same ever since Star Wars came out in 1977.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

You're quite right Tony! Dr Who could never be made in the way it was in earlier days- public just wouldn't accept it! Does the series still have a seperate Producer and Script Editor or is it basically a Stephen Moffat driven show now?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Oh! I forgot -with other things happening- to put my views on Part two of "The Flesh" 2 parter! I very much enjoyed it- but I didn't think it needed the `monster` bit towards the end-but on watching the `confidential` it was clear the writer very much intended and wanted it!

I am also puzzled as to the two `flesh` people becoming fully human via radiation from the Tardis. That in itself is ok, but why then was the `Flesh` Amelia `dissolved` hadn't she been `humanised` by bieng in the Tardis? Maybe I have missed something there!!

Finally, I was very surprised by Raquel Cassidy!

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

tony ingram wrote:
Digifiend wrote:According to Digital Spy, no full series next year. Take it with a pinch of salt.
All the BBC have said is that 14 more episodes have been commissioned (which is to be expected as they commission them in blocks of 14) and most of them will air in 2012-indicating that some possibly won't. Unfortunately, online fandom being what it is, they're all now up in arms and convincing themselves that this means 14 episodes is all we'll get over 2012 and 2013! Personally, given the split series this year, I'm thinking this is a transition back to the old 1970s format where a series would begin in the Autumn of one year and end in the Spring of the next. And I'd also put money on them commissioning a further block of 14 episodes to begin in Autumn 2013 in time for the 50th Anniversary. The 23rd of November falls on a Saturday in 2013, they'd have to be idiots not to capitalize on that given the opportunities for exploiting the anniversary.
They might do a couple of those 14 episodes this Christmas mind you.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

presterjohn wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Digifiend wrote:According to Digital Spy, no full series next year. Take it with a pinch of salt.
All the BBC have said is that 14 more episodes have been commissioned (which is to be expected as they commission them in blocks of 14) and most of them will air in 2012-indicating that some possibly won't. Unfortunately, online fandom being what it is, they're all now up in arms and convincing themselves that this means 14 episodes is all we'll get over 2012 and 2013! Personally, given the split series this year, I'm thinking this is a transition back to the old 1970s format where a series would begin in the Autumn of one year and end in the Spring of the next. And I'd also put money on them commissioning a further block of 14 episodes to begin in Autumn 2013 in time for the 50th Anniversary. The 23rd of November falls on a Saturday in 2013, they'd have to be idiots not to capitalize on that given the opportunities for exploiting the anniversary.
They might do a couple of those 14 episodes this Christmas mind you.
No, because all the episodes for this year including the Christmas special were commissioned months ago-the block of 14 they're talking about has nothing to do with this year. We still have another seven episodes to come this year regardless.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The 2009 Christmas special was part of the series 4 specials block remember. So while in Tennant's era, the 14 episodes started with the Christmas one, now, they finish with it. We've had 7 episodes of the 13 episode series 6 so far, which would mean 6 left, plus the Christmas special.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:The 2009 Christmas special was part of the series 4 specials block remember. So while in Tennant's era, the 14 episodes started with the Christmas one, now, they finish with it. We've had 7 episodes of the 13 episode series 6 so far, which would mean 6 left, plus the Christmas special.
Sorry, yes-that was what I meant by saying there were 7 still to come. I was including Christmas Day.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Let's Kill Hitler on August 27. :D

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Let's Kill Hitler on August 27. :D
Sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon, Digi. But I think he's dead already, in fact.

Oh, wait! I see what you meant, now... :oops:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I wonder if the rest of the season will adress the `Crack in the Universe` thead?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

alanultron5 wrote:I wonder if the rest of the season will adress the `Crack in the Universe` thead?
The cracks were sealed in The Big Bang. But we've yet to find out who caused the TARDIS to explode in the first place...

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I get a feeling it might not be resolved-but I could well be totally wrong!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There was an article in the press this week saying people were switching off because the stories had become too complex. Send them away with a Peter Cushing dvd.