Baaa-Bye Derek

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Jonny Whizz

Re: Baaa-Bye Derek

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I agree. Whenever Derek's strips appeared in the Beano they were invariably funny and original. I hope Gary Northfield does well in the future, he deserves it as his ideas are brilliant and his artwork helps create a real sense of madness in his strips.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Gary Northfield

Post by Gary Northfield »

Cheers old beans.

Working on a brand-new 60 page book of dinosaur comic strips for Walker Children's Books at the mo' (as well as my regular Nat Geo Kids strip), so I'm busy enough :D

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's excellent news Gary! :)

I don't know why so many people assume that the world of British comics is limited to just DC Thomson and 2000AD. In my opinion some of the best strips ever are being published as childrens' books: a case in point being 'Why?' written by Lindsay Camp and drawn, quite exquisitely, by my old tutor from Manchester College of Art Tony Ross. It's now available for just £1.99 from branches of The Works, yet how many self-proclaimed comic fans will have ever even heard of it...?

- Phil Rushton

Gary Northfield

That looks really lovely Phil! I shall keep a beady eye out for it.

There's a whole world of British comics outside of DCT, including the likes of Blank Slate, Self Made Hero and Nobrow Press. Walker for their part are working up a line of marvellous-looking children's graphic novels. Viviane Schwarz is nearly done on Sleepwalkers:

http://vivianeschwarz.blogspot.com/sear ... eepwalkers

And Andi Watson has a book lined up, Gum Girl, which looks amazing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andiwatson/5739680305/

I've seen dummies of these books, plus others, and I'm really excited about the imprint. I shall give them a shout out on here when they finally turn up on bookshelves.

diegotheterrible

Post by diegotheterrible »

Another one bites the dust :(

Best of luck with your upcoming book Gary!!! :xfingers:

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

philcom55 wrote:That's excellent news Gary! :)

I don't know why so many people assume that the world of British comics is limited to just DC Thomson and 2000AD. In my opinion some of the best strips ever are being published as childrens' books: a case in point being 'Why?' written by Lindsay Camp and drawn, quite exquisitely, by my old tutor from Manchester College of Art Tony Ross. It's now available for just £1.99 from branches of The Works, yet how many self-proclaimed comic fans will have ever even heard of it...?

- Phil Rushton
Got to say - it's a pity about the ugly and utterly unsympathetic lettering they've stuck on that excellent illustration...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Gary Northfield

Cheers Diego, best of luck to you too dude!

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

I've got his book! It's very funny.