George Bourne

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Corporal Clott

George Bourne

Post by Corporal Clott »

Anyne know anything about George Bourne? I have a book published by DC Thomson entitled, ?I Flew With Braddock.? It was written by George Bourne. The book must have belonged to R.D. Low, the Managing Editor because he wrote his name on the flyleaf. This is not a comic book. It's a novel. The book contains some illustrations, but the artist isn?t named. I wonder if DCT published any more novels featuring their characters. It was given to me during an editorial meeting back in the 80?s when they asked me to write a Braddock series in Victor. I haven?t mentioned it to DCT just in case they might want the damned thing back!

No doubt one of you experts out there will eventually tell me, not only who George Bourne was, but you'll also be able to name the waist size of the guy who pushed the button to start the printing machine running on the first issue. At least that's what I've been led to believe. So don't let me down, you hear?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

George Bourne...

Post by colcool007 »

..was the navigator character in the Braddock series. I think you will find that he was the narrator of the story and that no author credit is actually given. As a tell-tale, you will also find that the publishing house was Leng/Lang rather than DCT publishing their own books.

This was a collection of the stories from the Rover and is similiar to the Morgyn the Mighty book published in the same era.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Corporal Clott

George Bourne

Post by Corporal Clott »

I could kick myself! Not only did I once write a Braddock series back in the 80?s, there on page 3 are pictures of Brad?s crew with GB clearly shown! Maybe in the series I left George out and poor old Braddock VC had to fly sans a navigator. Maybe that?s why, instead of conducting a second Dam Busters mission, they bombed Wigan Pier. The publishers credits actually read: ?PRINTED AND PUBLISHED IN GREAT BRITAIN BY D.C. THOMSON AND JOHN LENG & CO. LTD. LONDON GLASGOW MANCHESTER DUNDEE.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

George Bourne

Post by colcool007 »

I know it does. :lol: Just picked up a copy on Ebay for the princely sum of ?2.06. Cracking read as well. Wasn't always a fan of the text stories, but this is one that still reads well 40 years on! :shock:

Kashgar
Guru

George Bourne

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Mike, 'I Flew with Braddock' was actually the work of Gilbert Dalton and the artwork was provided by D C Thomson staff artist Douglas Phillips. Regards, Ray Moore.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: George Bourne

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Hi Mike, 'I Flew with Braddock' was actually the work of Gilbert Dalton and the artwork was provided by D C Thomson staff artist Douglas Phillips. Regards, Ray Moore.
Thanks for that information. That's the second time that someone has mentioned Gilbert Dalton. I understand that his output was prodigious as he wrote all the Wilson stories as well. Now that Douglas Phillips has been mentioned, I can now identify another style! :lol:

David Simpson

George Bourne

Post by David Simpson »

Re: "'I Flew with Braddock' was actually the work of Gilbert Dalton"

Thanks. That's something I've wanted to know for years.