Ron Embleton in Rover, 1957

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

wigwam

Ron Embleton in Rover, 1957

Post by wigwam »

Can anyone please share a page of 'The Trek of The Homeless Ones' with me and the rest of the world?
This strip by Ron Embleton appeared in The Rover, No. 1659-1670, from 1957. I have never seen this, and I wonder what it is about.
Any details (i.e. dates of issues) will be appreciated.

Thanks !

John

philcom55

Re: Ron Embleton in Rover, 1957

Post by philcom55 »

Sorry John, I'm afraid I don't have any episodes of 'The Trek of the Homeless Ones', but by a strange coincidence I bought some copies of Hotspur from a School Fair this afternoon only to discover this Embleton strip from 1952 inside. The setting is, of course, very similar to that of his later series for Mickey Mouse Weekly, 'Don o' the Drums'.

- Phil Rushton

wigwam

Post by wigwam »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for this wonderful page. Another Embleton-strip I knew nothing about...

BTW: please read your e-mail @aol.com.

Best,

John

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The details you request, wigwam, are these. The picture story The Trek Of The Homeless Ones ran on the back cover of The Rover from 1659 (Apr. 13 1957) - 1670 (Jun. 29 1957). Issue 1662, however, had a double-page spread inside the paper, the rear cover having being taken over that week for the fourth instalment of their series Epic Stories Of The Last War. Your story starred Steve Larrabee and Dusty Millar, who were guiding a wagon train to California. Below is the first episode. I hope you can read it!
Attachments
trekofhomeless.jpg

wigwam

Post by wigwam »

Thank you for sharing the first episode and the publication details. I had no idea the story was about Steve Larrabee. He starred in some older strips, from another publisher, as well.
The only information I had came from the Embleton-biography by Wright & Ashford (BMC-216, 2002). I had to do with publisher, title of the comic, numbers of issues, year of publication, and the title of the story. Enough for most people, but not for me... So thanks again !

Best wishes,

John

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Ron drew some Wild West factual strips on the back of the Rover in 1957 here is one of them. I have a few more if you wish to see them.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

wigwam wrote:Thank you for sharing the first episode and the publication details. I had no idea the story was about Steve Larrabee. He starred in some older strips, from another publisher, as well.
The only information I had came from the Embleton-biography by Wright & Ashford (BMC-216, 2002). I had to do with publisher, title of the comic, numbers of issues, year of publication, and the title of the story. Enough for most people, but not for me... So thanks again !

Best wishes,

John
Does anybody know if Steve Larrabee ever appeared in any British annuals, other than the Lone Star ones?

Cheers. Gordon.