Strip Magazine - Who's buy the first issue?

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Strip Magazine - Who's buy the first issue?

Post by SID »

(Blast! I was mean't to type "Strip Magazine - Who's buyING the first issue?".)

Since Strip Magazine is coming out next month, who is planning to buy a copy?

I'll be up for one. Actually more than one as I will buying a copy for my Collection of Number Ones as well as one for myself to read with the high hopes that I will like it enough to add it to my stable of regular comics (see avatar).

Fingers crossed. :xfingers:
Last edited by SID on 02 Nov 2015, 23:40, edited 4 times in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Re: Strip Magazine - Who's buy the first issue?

Post by big bad bri »

i will buy it as well,i did buy the 1st issue of clint but none since although forbidden planet seem to have all issues in stock so i may get a few more.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Living at the arse end of Cumbria the nearest comic shop to me is 33 miles away in Carlisle and thats run by a very strange creepy man who kinda scares me. I'm hoping that you can buy individual issues from the Strip Magazine website.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Very much looking forward to Strip - I think this could be a massive title for UK comics if it succeeds with its format (all ages adventure) it may herald a change in content for UK newsagents comics (IMHO that is something I think they need) fingers crossed for it.

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Im going to buy it, its worth the money for to see Hookjaw again in decent colouring and lettering.

Its important that we support it.

Personally I wouldnt buy Clint as Im not into the bad language, adult themes etc but
thankfully Strip is not going down that road

starscape

Post by starscape »

STARBOY wrote:Very much looking forward to Strip - I think this could be a massive title for UK comics if it succeeds with its format (all ages adventure) it may herald a change in content for UK newsagents comics (IMHO that is something I think they need) fingers crossed for it.
Unfortunately, the newsagents won't be selling it. They couldn't get the distro sorted so it's comic shops only. I think this unfortunately virtually guarantees lower sales.

It reminds me when I was part of a group that was going to publish a book of small press comics to gain wider readership. I tried to get the members to go with comic shop distro - they didn't want to invest the money, so were going for small press distro. The result would be it would only reach the people already buying small press, so fails before it starts. Unfortunately, with Strip it's only going to be comic shop go-ers (tend to be mature), rather than it's intended and natural audience of 10-14 year olds.

I'll still look forward to it and will be buying it. But I should be the least of it's target audience, when I suspect I'm now it's typical audience.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Apparently they're only going for comic shops for the first year to get "likely" readers before expanding further. Let's just hope they make enough from the initial comic shop issues to expand into the rest of the nation.

I for one will be buying the whole first year. It sounds like it's pitched at the same audience as Commando, but with serials and not entirely war-focused. In other words a proper adventure comic! It's the sort of thing I longed for when I was younger (Sonic The Comic was decent but didn't quite cut it, too fantastic! Also Commando only seemed to be sold at the seaside back then) but could never find, except for in some old 50's-looking adventure story books at school

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Also Commando only seemed to be sold at the seaside back then)
I know what you mean, the only time I ever saw the Football and Bunty libraries in the shops was when I went to Butlins Skegness in the mid '90s. The Beano and Dandy ones and Commando weren't much easier to find either (basically, it was WHSmith or nowhere).

imil1

Post by imil1 »

First 6 issues are in comic shops only, newsagents will have it in march 2012. Thanks for support!
Ivo

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

ME! I'm in! Got my 5yo in too, yet I think maybe the stories are a bit too old for him.

Never mind though, will do for when there's no more UK comics ever produced :wink:

And I really hope I do mean that sarcastically!

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I don't really see the comic shop only sales being a problem its not intended to be long term (till March 2012 then its newsagents) I can see a few folk picking this up in comic shops - the 3 comic shops in Glasgow ( so imagine its the same with many others) sell with Archie comics, Mad, Marvel Adventures, Johnny DC titles, teen manga etc so I can see folk picking it up, not on mass but I reckon the STRIP folk know that and are using this time to tweek the comic for the big launch - fingers crossed for them

django

Post by django »

Already put my order in with my comic shop...who hadn't heard of it till I asked btw!.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Hmm, could the comic shop distribution actually be like a modern version of what they did with (I think) Vulcan, selling it only in a small area (well, Scotland XD) first to see if it "works"?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Surely newsagents will order in any magazine/comic/paper that you ask them to get, so hopefully we can add to the bounty and up the sales of Strip by a moderate amount.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

I just read on their Facebook page that you should be able to get the first issue from Amazon.

So I went and had a look and found publications containing women in states of undress.

Methinks, that is not it. ;)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).