What's your least favourite comic strip ever

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

comicsgalore

What's your least favourite comic strip ever

Post by comicsgalore »

I liked them all really, but one i couldnt be bothered with was Lucy Grimm (Dandy Xtreme, 2009). What's yours?

stevezodiac

Re: What's your least favourite comic strip ever

Post by stevezodiac »

Probably The McTickles in the Beano 1970s.

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

Never seen that one. Lucy Grimm seemed to be about a mean and money-loving girl. The strip looked dull and i couldnt be bothered with it. Drawn by Tom Plant.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I never liked Carson's Cubs in the Lion, I didn't like the art at all (ok art just not IMHO suited to a football strip) - wasn't keen on Capt Hurricane either (jingoistic to say the least) Never a fan of Paddywack and and Pongo Snodgrass although by then I was about 15 so kids comics were not my thing.

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

Havent heard of the first two. Have seen Pongo Snodgrass and Paddywhack in annuals. Cant really comment though.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

stevezodiac wrote:Probably The McTickles in the Beano 1970s.
I loved the McTickles it was hilarious. Over the top parodies of scottish people I found absolutely hilarious. My least favourite comic strip would have to be one of the more recent series of Billy the cat where the strip had only one page. I found it really boring mainly because it wasnt long enough to be exciting and a page was too short for the story and they would often end up being really boring. I think it would have worked better as an ongoing series instead of short one-off one pagers. I also didnt really like the way it was drawn. I prefered the other series of Billy the Cat but this one stays in my mind as one of the worst comic strips i hav ever read.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Carson's Cubs and Capt Hurricane were in the Lion and Valiant respectively. Capt Hurricane was the main strip in the Valiant for most of its run (from from 62 - 76 -even before my time - well for reading them anyway) and "no serious" war strip that was a tad non PC at times . I hope the link below works to a page of art for the character. I can't recall Carsons Cubs 9a footy strip) timeline certainly the 60s till early 70s and appeared on the cover of Lion a few times - but probably both were waaaay before you time and during the "golden" years of UK comics

http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Cate ... 201%20.jpg

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

I was never much of a fan of Lord Snooty and Jonah if I'm honest, while I thought Ken Reid's artwork was incredible, I always got bored reading it as it was waaaay too long!

I never really liked Fiddle O'Diddle either although I found Nik Holmes' version fantastic!

Calamity James also bored me. The stories were very boring and I honestly found it incredibly 'samey'.

For later stories I'd say Fu Schnicken and Flop Gear. Two incredibly unfunny stories. Phil's Finger and Tag Team Tastic were also awful although after re-reading Tag team Tastic I found it funnier.

Also, I loved Lucy Grimm. Tom Plant's artwork was brilliant.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I could not stand Zap Zodiac in the Beano. It seemed so pointless to me, and I disliked the way the strips featured the likes of Dennis and Walter etc. while it was in Comic Idol - it seemed like a sneaky way of getting people to vote for the strip. I wasn't terribly fond of Nicky Nutjob either, but I think that was partly down to the artwork, and the stories Nick Brennan drew weren't as bad.

I agree with Tin Can, The McTickles were great! I also agree with him about Billy the Cat, the single page run in 2008 and 2009 wasn't very good and the stories weren't very exciting. However, I'm never been an especially big fan of him anyway, though I did enjoy Laura Howell's more cartoony version in the 2008 70th birthday issue.

WizzKid97, you didn't like Calamity James? In my opinion he's one of the funniest characters to ever appear in the Beano. Still, he's known to split readers - people tend to lean towards liking or disliking him, with little middle ground.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

WizzKid97 wrote:I was never much of a fan of Lord Snooty and Jonah if I'm honest, while I thought Ken Reid's artwork was incredible, I always got bored reading it as it was waaaay too long!

I never really liked Fiddle O'Diddle either although I found Nik Holmes' version fantastic!

Calamity James also bored me. The stories were very boring and I honestly found it incredibly 'samey'.

For later stories I'd say Fu Schnicken and Flop Gear. Two incredibly unfunny stories. Phil's Finger and Tag Team Tastic were also awful although after re-reading Tag team Tastic I found it funnier.

Also, I loved Lucy Grimm. Tom Plant's artwork was brilliant.
Fiddle o Diddle and Calamity james i both found funny. Lucy Grimm was terrible! Ricky Grainger was better.

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I could not stand Zap Zodiac in the Beano. It seemed so pointless to me, and I disliked the way the strips featured the likes of Dennis and Walter etc. while it was in Comic Idol - it seemed like a sneaky way of getting people to vote for the strip. I wasn't terribly fond of Nicky Nutjob either, but I think that was partly down to the artwork, and the stories Nick Brennan drew weren't as bad.

I agree with Tin Can, The McTickles were great! I also agree with him about Billy the Cat, the single page run in 2008 and 2009 wasn't very good and the stories weren't very exciting. However, I'm never been an especially big fan of him anyway, though I did enjoy Laura Howell's more cartoony version in the 2008 70th birthday issue.

WizzKid97, you didn't like Calamity James? In my opinion he's one of the funniest characters to ever appear in the Beano. Still, he's known to split readers - people tend to lean towards liking or disliking him, with little middle ground.
I've got an issue from 2005 with Zap Zodiac in, it seems quite funny actually. Calamity James was funny, but not that funny.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

WizzKid97 wrote:Also, I loved Lucy Grimm. Tom Plant's artwork was brilliant.
They must've had a stockpile of those. The final Xtreme (also her last appearance up to now) featured two strips (one of them filled part of Jak and Todd's slot, they apparently ran out of that an issue too early).

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I found Ricky Grainger funny for a short time, but its limited humour potential was shown up fairly quickly, and few of the last strips before it was dropped were very funny or daring. I personally didn't rate the artwork, it seemed crude (which is bad) rather than cartoony (which can be good).
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Ricky Grainger did have potential they could have turned into a dare-a-day davy clone complete with reader's suggesting dares and a kid who loved danger and could pretty much anything is not that limited a premise there have been much longer running strips with more limited premises both Billy Whizz and Keyhole Kate spring to mind.
Last edited by Tin Can Tommy on 09 Oct 2011, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I could not stand Zap Zodiac in the Beano. It seemed so pointless to me, and I disliked the way the strips featured the likes of Dennis and Walter etc. while it was in Comic Idol - it seemed like a sneaky way of getting people to vote for the strip. I wasn't terribly fond of Nicky Nutjob either, but I think that was partly down to the artwork, and the stories Nick Brennan drew weren't as bad.

I quite liked Zap Zodiac but I found it relied too much on cameos. Billy the Cat's one page stories were awful, they were too short and Barrie Appleby's Billy was never one of my favourites.

Calamity James was okay but I found the strip too samey and was glad when they dropped it. It had its moments but I found him generally unlikeable as a character.
comicsgalore wrote:Fiddle o Diddle and Calamity james i both found funny. Lucy Grimm was terrible! Ricky Grainger was better.
Lucy Grimm was better a bit later on during her final few stories, also Ricky Grainger was horrible! -.-
Fiddle O'Diddle was sometimes funny as was Calamity James - but I still didn't like them.
Digifiend wrote:
WizzKid97 wrote:Also, I loved Lucy Grimm. Tom Plant's artwork was brilliant.
They must've had a stockpile of those. The final Xtreme (also her last appearance up to now) featured two strips (one of them filled part of Jak and Todd's slot, they apparently ran out of that an issue too early).
Nah, I doubt it. From what I've got from Tom's blog, Lucy Grimm was added in doubles to the final few issues of the Dandy Xtreme because they needed to use them all up and Lucy wasn't going to survive the revamp.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page