Do you remember Pluggy Love in the 2008 annual

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

comicsgalore

Do you remember Pluggy Love in the 2008 annual

Post by comicsgalore »

A story about Plug's girlfriend and Danny's desperate attempts to make him less soppy. Drawn by Kevin Sutherland.

comicsgalore

Re: Do you remember Pluggy Love in the 2008 annual

Post by comicsgalore »

If you dont want to know what it's about, dont read this! The other Bash Street Kids are joking to plug that the new girl, Ella fancies him. This is backfired when they find out she does fancy him. As she is ugly as plug, he takes a fancy for her. He then talks to her about Hot Rod Cow! out of Toxic Magazine, so that means his numskulls feel redundant. The other kids forget about it, but are terribly shocked when Plug says he's going to see a romantic comedy with ella. The kids than have a consensus that Plug has been brain-washed by her. So, when night falls, he videos Ella's house, and sees Baby Face Finlayson, the gangster coming into her house. It turns out BFF has stole the school before he was outwitted by them, so Danny reckons he's out for revenge. So the kids try lots of schemes to try plug to dump her, including Toots pretending she is ella, when plug is sitting right next to her. So Spotty "quits the subtle" and tells them the truth, on video. So plug reluctantly dumps her. The kids then think the storie's over. Far from it. They see Plug standing on the roof of the school, with spotty sure he's going to die. The other Beano characters come into the schene, with the police trying to coax him down. At that moment the Head sees what's happening, just as his numskull's bravery cupboard had just broke open. We then see inside Cuthbert's head, but they quickly run away from the robots. So cuthbert goes up to her, also showing her the video evidence, while ella denys she's BFF's daughter. She is his Baby-sitter, of course! Danny takes no time in running up to the roof to stop plug, until he sees him crying on the step. It turns out it's just a statue of him, but Head doesent know this. When he reaches out, he gets splodged in clay. Teacher then realizes why he never pays attention, but head just treats Teach as if he's clay. As this is happening, plug realizes Ella is going to another school in America. A day later, spotty asks him if he remembers her. He says no (Lol!) but spotty then gets a girlfriend, and the story quickly ends.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Hot Rod Cow is in Toxic?

Also someone (i assume its you under the name flavourbeans) just added something about this story to the Baby Face Finlayson article on Wikipedia.
Last edited by Tin Can Tommy on 10 Oct 2011, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

Hot Rod Cow was in toxic. Think it was dropped around 2007.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hot Rod Cow had been mentioned in Kev F's Bash Street stories a few times before. I guess that he was trying to get it to run as a strip in it's own right, and he must've achieved that with Toxic. I think his Beano work ceased mentioning it at that point due to it being competition. Not that Kev F's work appeared much after that anyway.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Digifiend wrote:Not that Kev F's work appeared much after that anyway.
What happened to Kev F's work in the Beano? He was so funny, The Bash Street Adventures were always memorable to me and he and Mike Pearse were two of the best writers in the Beano!

I remember the Zombie one which was actually rather creepy yet absolutely fantastic! I hope he returns to the Beano, there are two big Kev F and Mike Pearse holes in the Beano.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

RamblingSid

Post by RamblingSid »

I do remember the Plug Love story. I thought it was very poor. The art was below what I would expect from Beano and I just didn't like the story at all. But I didn't like any of Kev Sutherland's work. Mike Pearse on the other hand, I thought was excellent.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

RamblingSid wrote:I do remember the Plug Love story. I thought it was very poor. The art was below what I would expect from Beano and I just didn't like the story at all. But I didn't like any of Kev Sutherland's work. Mike Pearse on the other hand, I thought was excellent.
At first I didn't like Kev F's artwork but after reading more of strips drawn by him, I have discovered it's not all about the artwork, if the story is good fun then the stories will be likeable.

That said, I'd rather see Mike's artwork more any day (no offence Kev), he is just one of my biggest inspirations both art and storywise. :)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

I think, while trying to get an independent style, my artwork and story is a cross between Jamie Smart and Tom Paterson.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I found some of Kev F's strips very entertaining, though I thought some of his stories were much funnier than others. I wasn't a great fan of his artwork to be honest, especially at first, but it got better over time.

Mike Pearse, however, was consistently excellent, both in terms of artwork and writing. I think what was great about his work was that his stuff was very funny while still keeping it clean and child-friendly, whereas I felt some of Kev's material stretched the limits of what was acceptable in the Beano. Also, Mike's stories were usually more grounded and based in real-life, and he showed he could be funny on a regular strip as well as on long stories when he did The Three Bears and Singled Out.

I hope I haven't offended Kev too much! I do like your stuff, just not quite as much as Mike Pearse's.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

I get the feeling Mike Pearse isnt a nice guy. His storys are too funny.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Nobody will ever better Mike Pearse. He was easily the Beano's best, and most consistently funny, writer since Walter Fearne's work on Jonah, and he was an amazingly talented artist to boot, with a mastery of exaggerated facial expressions. The 2000 Halloween special where Teacher scares the kids by pretending he's a wizard had me in stitches without using any words at all, and it takes a really talented writer, as well as artist, to pull that off.

I'd welcome Kev F back into the fold as well, though - at least something to add a little variety to the static seventeen pages of non-reprinted comics.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!