Number 13 and The Germs return in the bigger 36 page Beano!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

comicsgalore

Re: Number 13 and The Germs return in the bigger 36 page Bea

Post by comicsgalore »

Hey, i thought Joe King's Stripz would be a good idea!

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

David Parkins to draw Roger the Dodger, anyone? I could see it happening, and he's been absent from the Beano for too long.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

Cant see it.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I think David Parkins would be a good artist to draw Roger, but since he moved to Canada I just can't see it happening, and even when he was Dennis artist he was often too busy with other work, such as illustrations for children's books or political cartoons for the Guardian.

I certainly wouldn't mind if Tom Paterson took on Roger - it seems like ages since we last saw any of his work in the Beano. As much as I like his other work, though, I totally agree with Gilly in saying that Calamity James is Tom's masterpiece. Diego did post a version of Roger in his own style on here, which I thought was good apart from the fact that the chequerboard design was on his trousers rather than his top.

I do actually wonder whether Ken Harrison could draw Roger, as he's such a versatile artist. This would probably mean Minnie being given over to another artist though, most likely Laura Howell.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Diego draws his strips from Chile, so I don't see how being in Canada is any kind of obstacle in the digital age! (For the record, Mike Pearse is currently living in the Netherlands.)

I definitely agree that Calamity James was Tom Paterson's masterpiece, but we have seen a preview of what his Roger might look like in the Beano Annual (can't remember which one), and it looks like it should work. He wouldn't be my first choice, though.

As for Laura Howell... if it wouldn't take up too much time on Meebo and Zuky, I think she'd be more suited to simply taking over Roger directly, rather than shuffling over to knock Ken Harrison off his spot. In any case I think his style is completely unsuitable for Roger's design, as well as her style being completely unsuitable for Minnie. (She can draw as many ghost strips as she likes, but each one spells it out - the two artistic philosophies are fundementally incompatible, much like David Sutherland trying to imitate Paterson on Fred's Bed. In an amusing twist, however, Howell's style did match up with Fred almost perfectly, and if she did get another strip that's definitely the one I'd nominate.)

Diego is still almost an unknown where the Beano is concerned. I think the main problem with Ivy's last days was that her character was derailed, making her not very 'terrible' at all, and the scripts became boring and over-simplistic. It's difficult to tell how much my enjoyment of the strip was affected by the art rather than the writing, which I personally found quite hard to follow, but I'd be interested to see his work on a more complex (and more down-to-earth, unlike Lego City) story like Roger the Dodger.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

Mike Pearse is in Holland? He's a great artist! Yes, Tom's Roger is in the 2008 annual and that was the reason why i thought he would be a good artist. However, i think his mum would look like Edd Case's mum and his dad would be unrecognizable.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Somebodys got to say it but one day to go and it will be in our hands.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

My subscription copy still hasn't arrived. No show tomorrow and I'll have to ring...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

What? I thought you was keeping mum on the spoilers, but you don't have the issue to spoil? Now I'm worried that it won't be in the shops today.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Digifiend wrote:What? I thought you was keeping mum on the spoilers, but you don't have the issue to spoil? Now I'm worried that it won't be in the shops today.
Except the Next Week page said "On sale 12th October..."
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, in the shops. Subscribers are supposed to get it early, and that didn't happen this week. Also, beano.com hasn't updated the new issue page yet (and one of the other updates in the last couple of days went a bit wrong - it has the nonsensical title "...1" and is actually Create a Comic, with no text accompanying the Flash frame).

Anyway, I'll be checking the newsagent later.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

ive just got it they have added totally gross to the germs title panel & beano street to number 13 title panel theres a new story called real construction in the form of an ad for a toy & roger looks like reprints along with pup parade & freddie fear reprints

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

big bad bri wrote:ive just got it they have added totally gross to the germs title panel & beano street to number 13 title panel theres a new story called real construction in the form of an ad for a toy & roger looks like reprints along with pup parade & freddie fear reprints
I knew about the name changes, don't see why they were needed though, to be honest adding 'Totally Gross' to the beginning of something is going to make it sound more like a reprint trying to be updated because this how all us "kidz" apparently speak like nowadays.

Also I seriously hope Roger goes out of reprints soon. He's such an iconic character! Imagine if Dennis went into reprints, if this ever happened then we'll most definitely be seeing a beginning to the end of The Beano. But let's not think like that.

Real Construction most definitely sounds like an advert, who draws it, it sounds like LEGO to me so maybe Diego Jourdan?

Also Freddie Fear in reprints? Really? I can accept stockpiled but reprints?

What else is different? Is it even a revamp?!
Last edited by WizzKid97 on 12 Oct 2011, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Subscribers are supposed to get it early, and that didn't happen this week.
All we know is that one subscriber in Northern Ireland hasn't received his copy yet. Postal delays do happen sometimes.
WizzKid97 wrote: What else is different? Is it even a revamp?!
To be fair, it wasn't advertised as a revamp. It said it'd have four extra pages which would include two re-titled reprints. Anything outside of that has been pure speculation this past week.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Lew Stringer wrote:To be fair, it wasn't advertised as a revamp. It said it'd have four extra pages which would include two re-titled reprints. Anything outside of that has been pure speculation this past week.
Fair point, maybe we all just saw it as a revamp and expected too much.