Tin-Tin

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dreamticket

Tin-Tin

Post by dreamticket »

He's been in the news a lot lately. First, the movie, which looks really good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ua_4ajpP58

Second, the court case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zc7fCjrA6I

Seems rather pointless trying to sue something almost eighty years old. Shouldn't books that were "of their time" best be left to die a natural death?

Digifiend

Re: Tin-Tin

Post by Digifiend »

I'm surprised that it CAN be sued. 80 years old? How long until it goes public domain?

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

That's a joke. How can someone get wound up by that book NOW?!

Sure, it is considered racist but it just shows what times were like back then. I find it ridiculous that they'd ban a book that old. I love Tintin and have no racial problems with it. I think it's a classic book series and every single one of the books should be remembered for its brilliance. Not its banning.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

There's no doubt the depiction of black people in western culture is nothing we can be proud of. This isn't the worst, but it's not clever and to be fair Herge and others have acknowledged this fact themselves. We can be cynical here and say its all about the Tin Tin film and someone is looking to make a buck out of it, then again it could be something to do with the Belgians time occupying the Congo and this book reappearing (it may mean little to us it could be painful to them) But it is def a book book of its time I'm not a Tin Tin fan but I would expect it not to be reprinted in this format (that's if it is still in print) maybe that can be the trade off - Lets just hope no one picks up the early Sparky comics!

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

STARBOY wrote:There's no doubt the depiction of black people in western culture is nothing we can be proud of. This isn't the worst, but it's not clever and to be fair Herge and others have acknowledged this fact themselves. We can be cynical here and say its all about the Tin Tin film and someone is looking to make a buck out of it, then again it could be something to do with the Belgians time occupying the Congo and this book reappearing (it may mean little to us it could be painful to them) But it is def a book book of its time I'm not a Tin Tin fan but I would expect it not to be reprinted in this format (that's if it is still in print) maybe that can be the trade off - Lets just hope no one picks up the early Sparky comics!
Yes, It's all good publicity for the movie, isn't it? I wonder if this Congolese chap will be pleased his case is mixed up in the marketing for a Hollywood film..?

But his case is ridiculous. Although the book has clear racist overtones, especially in it's depiction of native Africans, it's a formative work by one of the greatest comic writer/illustrators ever. It's clearly of it's time, and the book has a warning on the cover, and inside, putting the whole thing in context.

The reason, the impetus, to publish was not racially motivated, it's not an attempt to denigrate a whole race, or to simply make money from racism, but to feed an appetite for Herge's work. It is a work which is important despite, and maybe even because of the casual racism. In this respect, it's historic, and maybe even didactic if young readers are made aware of it's faults.

I can't see it even tangentially being used to add credence to racist ideas in the modern age. Actually, there are religious books out there that attempt to justifying the most heinous hate crimes and they're sold openly in every bookshop - to everyone, young and old - in comic adaptions and children's storybooks.

Banning books is wrong. It feels at least as wrong as racism, and it feeds the same fascistic world view. Maybe a compromise would be to not sell the book in the children's section?
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

There was a court case here too a few years ago on the same lines. I seem to remember that being started by a Congolese student too. Same bloke trying his luck in another country, hoping to get "the correct" answer?
I also remember the Comission for Racial Equality getting involved, but they were too busy trying to being back aparthied at the time (well not everybody is good at their job!).

dishes

Post by dishes »

If the new film is a success, hopefully if nothing else people will notice that "Tintin" is one word with no hyphen. :wink:

It's true that books should never be banned, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if "...Congo" was only available in collectors' editions rather than along with the others in the series in the standard mass-market edition. Apart from being racist it's terrible, by far the worst in the series in my opinion. Though I understand it's always been hugely popular in the Congo!
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Today's Daily Express has a two page article about Herge and his return to Belgium during Nazi Occupation.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Competition to win Tintin DVDs (and a TV to watch them on) in this week's Dandy.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

A chappie at The Guardian is not happy:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/ ... CMP=twt_fd

Mind you, I bet when they ruin a British character such as Dan Dare in the same way there will be no such objections from that quarter. But then again only foreign comics are really 'culture', aren't they?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I saw the trailer at the movies tonight and I am in two minds about the movie. Lots of CGI to get the characters to look right, but it is very strange to see them all moving around as if they are real. Weird!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

blackpuddingbertha

Post by blackpuddingbertha »

Looking forward to this - loved the books and by all accounts this is supposed to be a bit of a return to form for Mr Spielberg.

Fingers crossed!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I've seen the trailer a fair few times now, and I agree that the world depicted are neither cartoon nor 'real-life', but rather some bizarre half-world inbetween. I'll still go and see it tough.....