Comics UK - Version 2 (Finally)

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Al
Sir!

Re: Comics UK - Version 2 (Finally)

Post by Al »

You've answered a lot of your own questions there Swirly, which saves me a job.

Basically, you're the only one who appears to be suffering with the new website because of your dislike for JavaScript. So you must either join the rest of the planet and use a JavaSript enabled browser or miss out. It's your choice. And please don't link me to a post that says something like 10% of internet surfers do not enable JavaScript on their browsers, because that will be crass.

As regards to URL's, you truly surprise me that someone who loves linking to other parts of the web via the forum, gets confused with the simplest of linkage skills. As you now have Firefox 7, it's Right-click the image --> select Copy Image Location --> Done! Just the way it's always been.

I have read all your recommendations and feel that they are very old-fashioned. I've chosen to move the website into the 21st century, by using some of the new technologies that are out there. And I can't wait to start developing with HTML5 and CSS4 when it comes out. Just think of all those lovely 3D images we will enjoy.

As for mobile devices and laptops, I can only test for the i-pad1/2 and iPhone and the website works fine on those devices. My laptop has a touchpad and the menu's work fine as well, and that's on a really cheap ol' laptop. It does sound like the problem lies with your hardware and software set-up.

As always, we are going to differ on this, but I don't think I'll be rewritting the website to cater for a browser (Netsurf) that, I must admit, I have never heard of. On the contrary, after I've ironed out some of the other problems with the current release, I will be going full-steam ahead with more sections developed using JavaScript, JQuery, AJAX and CSS3, because it is the way to go. When Phase 3, the Comicpedia section, is complete, and if I have the time and inclination I'll contemplate a less 'bells-and-whistles' version. But by that time, we'll most probably be using HTML 6 as standard!

You have to conform with what everyone else is using or simply miss out, I'm afraid.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Interesting stats have been brought up by the debate and it looks like Swirly is in the 1.3% bracket of web users not using Javascript(JS). The Javascript vs No-Javascript debate is intriguing but it does explain why Netsurf does not seem to have a JS interface. As it is mainly used by mobiles, users are directed to a mobile portal for their net usage (Don't ask me how it works as that is far too geeky even for me!) and this is why JS does not work for them. It also explains why users of FB find that many of their games have been designed not to use JS as I know the Blackberry does not support JS. And I also know that a lot of the games have been designed to be purely web based games. Great if you like that sort of thing.

JS does seem to be bandwidth heavy and I can understand why people opt out on that basis, but as the net is spread, more and more developers will use JS, not less. Hopefully a future version will be developed that will not be so bandwidth heavy.

As to drop down menus, they are being used more and more. The only alternative is when they offer a filter version with the drop down arrow and I am not sure of the coding on fields, I can't say if that is an improvement or a step backwards.

When you look at the net, you ARE looking at a graphic medium which has to be visually attractive and no matter which way you cut it, style and substance together make for a better experience than either standing alone.

I don't know about Al, but when you explained it all Swirly, I found your post informative and useful. But while I can sort of follow your reasoning for not liking JS, it's a case of like it or lump it!

I know that my first experience of this was when The Crunch was merged (fairly appropriate for ComicsUK) and my second was when Betamax died. Platforms become outdated and the use of JS is here to stay as is Windows. We all know that Linux is more secure, but the sheer number of Windows based units in the world today means that accessibility/ease of use is going to trump security/stability.

Here endeth the ramble.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

colcool007 wrote: I know that my first experience of this was when The Crunch was merged (fairly appropriate for ComicsUK) and my second was when Betamax died...
It's even worse when they stop making your favourite pens, brushes and colour markers that you've spent years getting to know and love...I blame Wacom...grrrr.... :)
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

AndyB wrote:Linking images from the gallery? Like this?
That is the definition of hotlinking.

Technically, it isn't bandwidth theft as long as the images are displayed on a forum using the same bandwidth, but if such pictures were posted on any other comics site it would be considered, at the least, impolite.

Personally, unless a site contains an explicit message from its owner that hotlinking is permitted, I never do it, because many people get upset that you are 'leeching' their content at their expense. If I do do it, I always include a link back to the original page as a simple courtesy. The issue with the new Comics UK is that most images don't have a single page - the narrowest you can filter it is by comic title, which may also display a shedload of irrelevant images if it's a popular comic like the Beano.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I can't entirely speak for Al, but I would think that hotlinking to images on this site is acceptable.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

My new browser doesn't work..it only works when I load up internet explorer then the internet connects for the new browser Google chrome..any advice?

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

The new site looks really good. I look forward to uploading some (hopefully useful) covers. Well done to everyone involved. Site much appreciated by this user.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Peter Gray wrote:My new browser doesn't work..it only works when I load up internet explorer then the internet connects for the new browser Google chrome..any advice?
What browser are you using Peter?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

window Internet explorer

But want to update to Google Chrome..

do I have to delete internet explorer for it to fully work..?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Peter Gray wrote:window Internet explorer

But want to update to Google Chrome..

do I have to delete internet explorer for it to fully work..?
If you want to use Google Chrome, you should be able to download it from here. No browser should ever need to be deleted before you add another one. For example, I have Explorer and Firefox on this laptop and the base unit. And neither interferes with the other. I am tempted to download Safari and the other one just so that I can run a comparison check to see which one is the one that I prefer. However, I reckon that Firefox is the biz as I have just been to a place where their broadband is akin to UK dial-up and Firefox was proven to be a lot faster.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Hello Peter,

I hope you have sorted this out already.

I'll just add that you can install numerous browsers on a PC without the need for any tweaking. There will be one question that, I think, they all ask when you are installing them, and that is, "Would you like it to be your default browser." It you miss this question, you can always make it your default browser after it has been installed.

I currently have 5 browsers that I use for testing (IE9, FF7, Chrome, Safari 5.1.1 and Opera 11.51) and none of them interfere with the other. I use FF7 as default.

If you do need any help, just let me know via PM.

Al

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Key thing is to go through the Start menu in Windows to find the other browsers. Unless you change the default, any Internet button will you take you to IE by default.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Unable to connect to the Internet
Google Chrome can't display the web page because your computer isn't connected to the Internet.

You can try to diagnose the problem by taking the following steps:

Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\network diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe and then click OK.
Error 106 (net::ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED): The Internet connection has been lost.

This is what comes up.......I downloaded google crome again and made it my defult..restarted it and it still came up with this......it worked after I clicked on internet explorer..

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I'm a bit surprised to be reading of all the problems some members are having in accessing the new site. I am a bit non-techy, in fact a friend suggested I should be chair of the local Luddite society. But I use a computer for mail, websites, forums etc. and I have no problem getting in or viewing the site. As for Javascript, anyone using Firefox, which is secure, safe, easy to use and lets you know when new versions or updates are available, can install No-script, which can be set to your own requirements and therefore allow you to block or allow any Javascript on any site that uses it. I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and an old, slow p.c. with XP and both work fine with Firefox, Noscript and free anti virus and anti spy stuff.
The new site so far looks great and I posted links to
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/
and
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks for the email Al.I'm now trying firefox..this is all new to me...I'll get there..

I'll let you know if it keeps working..