Retro TV

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Re: Retro TV

Post by Raven »

matrix wrote:
alanultron5 wrote:Amazingly, the 1960s `Batman` series isn't on DVD at all! "Holy DVD Shortage!!"
Get a fix on you tube until they bring it out on dvd

There's a double bill of Batman on ITV4 every weekday.

Raven

Post by Raven »

matrix wrote:
Raven wrote:A very interesting looking obscure curio from 1968 out from Network (a website exclusive) on Monday. A 1968 ITV children's adventure series set in swinging London with a soundtrack including Pink Floyd, The Nice, Cream and The Moody Blues. In colour - and in novelty packaging!

The Tyrant King:

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... ts_id=1489
Must be good with those in the soundtrack!

Probably not too many childrens' serials had Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine and Pow R. Toc H. on the soundtrack!

The DVD looks like a 7" vinyl single:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =3&theater

Raven

Post by Raven »

Steelclaw may like to note that a 7 day 40% off sale has just started at the Network DVD site.

Shadows Series 1 is now just £4.90, with free p&p (as are the other two series). The Doombolt Chase, Dramarama: Spooky, and The Strange World of Gurney Slade are now £5.51 each.

http://www.networkdvd.net/index.php

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven thanks for the tip, I bought Shadows series 2&3 and The Doomboat chase.
Did you buy anything?

Raven

Post by Raven »

steelclaw wrote:Raven thanks for the tip, I bought Shadows series 2&3 and The Doomboat chase.
Did you buy anything?

So far, just The Strange World of Gurney Slade. (I already have quite a few of the Network DVDs I'd have wanted, but I'm tempted by a few more: Whoops Apocalypse, Alan Plater at ITV, and others.)

Children of the Stones is only £6.12, note; one of the best of the 70s weird kids' series. And can you resist Pardon My Genie and Robert's Robots?

Anyone who likes Thriller would have a bargain in the entire series at just over £20 (over 35 hours worth; 16 discs). And I expect quite a few Mystery & Imagination sets will be snapped up, too.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I'm very tempted by 'Thriller'
Children of the stones is excellent.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Thriller is well worth picking up. I picked up Children Of The Stones on DVD a few years ago and it was every bit as eerie as I remember. The Feathered Serpent was another old favourite that stood up to time. We had great kids telly in the 70s. :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

Classic Comics wrote:Thriller is well worth picking up. I picked up Children Of The Stones on DVD a few years ago and it was every bit as eerie as I remember. The Feathered Serpent was another old favourite that stood up to time. We had great kids telly in the 70s. :)

Have you tried Shadows, Classic? Series one is crucial creepy '70s kids' telly.

Also worth noting that the Complete Just William - the definitive London Weekend Television Sunday afternoon 70s version, all 27 episodes, is just over a tenner in the sale.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

I think I remember Shadows. Lots of good actors and I think PJ Hammond wrote an episode? I'm a Sapphire And Steel fan so I might track those down. Cheers. I love the Just William radio shows but as a kid the TV show never did it for me. However... for a tenner I might be tempted to give them another try.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Just finished watching the second of my Christmas Network DVD haul...Children of the Stones was excellent (that theme tune!) and King of the Castle wasn't as good as I remember but still worth a watch, and the kids loved it. I still have Just William, and Into The Labyrinth left.

I'm tempted to get Robert's Robots...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Raven

Post by Raven »

-MikeD- wrote:Just finished watching the second of my Christmas Network DVD haul...Children of the Stones was excellent (that theme tune!) and King of the Castle wasn't as good as I remember but still worth a watch, and the kids loved it. I still have Just William, and Into The Labyrinth left.

I'm tempted to get Robert's Robots...

I was surprised that I found Robert's Robots as funny as I did as a little boy! The only stinker is the (musical!) Christmas episode that closes series 2. Also by Bob Block, Pardon My Genie is great fun, too, with Roy Barraclough as Mr. Cobbledick, and Hugh Paddick as the genie, camping it up, and at their best. Series 1 is quite good value in this sale at just under £8 for thirteen episodes. I found myself tittering throughout.

I still like King of the Castle but I think the first episode is by far the best. Interesting to hear that your kids loved it.
Last edited by Raven on 31 Jan 2012, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Classic Comics wrote:I think I remember Shadows. Lots of good actors and I think PJ Hammond wrote an episode? I'm a Sapphire And Steel fan so I might track those down.
P. J. Hammond wrote 'And For My Next Trick' for series three, which is good, though I'd definitely go for series one first as it's the strongest series, especially if you're after chills rather than lighter fantasy. The young Jenny Agutter and Pauline Quirke appear in a couple of episodes, and Russell Hunter brilliantly revives his Mr. Stabs character from Ace of Wands in the sole humorous episode. Shadows has good writers throughout: Joan Aiken, Susan Cooper, J. B. Priestley and others.

Steely, I'll be interested to hear what you think of 'The Eye' from series 2, surely one of the weirdest ever twenty five minutes of children's TV.
Last edited by Raven on 31 Jan 2012, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Raven wrote:I was surprised that I found Robert's Robots as funny as I did as a little boy! The only stinker is the (musical!) Christmas episode that closes series 2. Also by Bob Block, Pardon My Genie is great fun, too, with Roy Barraclough as Mr. Cobbledick, and Hugh Paddick as the genie, camping it up, and at their best. Series 1 is quite good value in this sale at just under £8 for thirteen episodes. I found myself tittering throughout.

I still like King of the Castle but I think the first episode is by far the best. Interesting to hear that your kids loved it.
Pardon My Genie ordered...worth a punt at that price. I couldn't order Robert's Robots, as it seems they've unlisted all the web exclusives during the sale... :(

As a child back in The Seventies, King of The Castle somehow lodged itself in my brain and gave me a few sleepless nights. Especially the Frankenstein-like Dr. Hawkspur. Kids today are made of much sterner stuff...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Raven

Post by Raven »

It would be good to hear if your kids find Pardon My Genie funny, Mike. I won't be surprised if they do.

At the time, King of the Castle was originally planned for a weekday "children's hour" showing, but had its transmission delayed for four months after ITV finally considered it too scary for that slot, and rescheduled it for Sunday teatime when the whole family might be watching. One of the most interesting things about it is just how experimental it is for children's TV.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Jamie Foreman from King of the Castle is now playing Gangster Derek Branning in Eastenders